Traction Alopetia, From Touching Hair To Much?

ConnorTheCanuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name's Connor and I'm 24 years old. I've been growing my hair out off and on since I was nineteen. My hair is past my shoulders now and i've been taking steps to take care of it. Cold wated, low heat on the blow dryer, fenestteride treatment, and Moroccan oil to help with dryness. Although I take care of my hair and eat fairly well, a patch of baldness / thinging has developed in the very center of my hair line. I went to a dermatologist who prescribed me cyclocort with instructions to use after showering while hair is wet. I have been doing so but to no avail, the treatment has had no noticeable effects on the area. my theory since I have fairly bad anxiety is i've been pushing my hair out of my face or anxiously touching my hair to much creating traction. Would love to get an outside opinion. Thanks for listening

Attachments

• 1480796525631-144280950.jpg
    1480796525631-144280950.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 282

dunno

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hows your family history on hairloss? Kinda hard to tell with that photo

ConnorTheCanuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hows your family history on hairloss? Kinda hard to tell with that photo

Father has full head of hair, mother's father had full head of hair when he died, my grand father and uncles went bald in their twenties, but their hair was curly and cours, mine is not.

ConnorTheCanuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hmmm, about 3 months. Im aware it takes six for the changes to take effect. The reason I'm concerned is that Ive read that hair loss due to traction alopecia is permanent. And given that the area of thining / baldness is spreading, time is not something I think I have in abundance. So even though I enjoy my current style very much. I still don't wish to be stuck with a bald patch in the very center of my fore head. So my question is, is there a way to halt this traction or any ideas as to how it's occurring? Also is having long hair the primary cause of it? Thanks for responding as well guys.

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Long hair is more prone to traction alopecia, .....try some months a short hair type.....

ConnorTheCanuck

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was hoping to not have to, I was hoping that maybe there was some solution where in which I could keep it. Its a considerable time investment after all. Maybe I was just being niave, in the long run though it is only hair right? Just sucks is all. Thanks for commenting everyone.