transdermal delivery of finasteride, dutasteride

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
A company called Dermatrends has just been awarded a patent for the delivery via skin patch of so-called "amine drugs" -- which include finasteride and dutasteride.

The article says this type of delivery can minimize the side effects encountered when taking these drugs via oral delivery.

It also says the company is working with pharmaceutical makers to "bring its technology to consumers."

Hopefully, two of these companies are Merck and GSK.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040701/cgth053_1.html

TortoiseAndHair

Established Member
Reaction score
Dermatrends Announces Patent Related to Transdermal Delivery of Broad Category of Amine Drugs

:D I thought that said Anime Drugs at first...

I don't see how taking a drug "dermally" is going to cause any less side effects than orally.

JJ Gittes

Established Member
Reaction score
I think you could view the topical application of minoxidil and spironolactone as transdermal.

Clearly, there's less risk of side effects than if you were to take oral minoxidil (Loniten) or spironolactone.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
JJ Gittes said:
I think you could view the topical application of minoxidil and spironolactone as transdermal.

Not really. "Transdermal" implies the systemic absorption of a drug by going THROUGH the skin and into general circulation. But you don't WANT topical minoxidil and topical spironolactone to go all the way! You want them to stay put right there in the hair follicles!

JJ Gittes said:
Clearly, there's less risk of side effects than if you were to take oral minoxidil (Loniten) or spironolactone.

I agree with the other poster: I don't really see any point to transdermal finasteride or dutasteride. I'm not sure why they think there would be fewer side-effects.

Bryan