Transplanting hairs around existing hairs

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a consultation coming up for a hair transplant next month, basically my goals are just to lower the hairline slightly and fill in temples too, prob an NW3 at moment would like to become a NW2.

What I would like to know is it possible to also transplant hairs say into the crown among your existing hair?

I have been using Propecia and Rogaine foam for 10 months and whilst my hair loss has stabilised and hair has become thicker on top, if possible I would like it a little thicker on top as my hair is really thick round the back (hoping for a good donor area).

So basically I was just wondering if it is possible for surgeons to plant some 1's in strategic places on top of your head to give just a little more thickness.

I hope the above makes sense and appreciate any answers in advance :)

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
yes its possible but might not be a good idea if you are still young....

oxymoron

Reaction score
I'm no expert, but i've been researching for a few months now and it's actually pretty standard to transplant hairs in between existing hairs. The key going to a good doctor that won't place them too close to those existing hairs which would shock and possibly kill them. If you're thinning enought to need an hair transplant then this shouldn't be an issue as there is room. But remember that using a good surgeon is important, so do some research.

HT55

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Transplanting between existing hair is risky because there is a chnace of permanent shock loss

oxymoron

Reaction score
Not to split hairs here...
yep corny :woot:
But if you're gettin an hair transplant then you putting hairs between existing hairs unless your absolutely shiny.
From what I've researched, it's totally normal to get hairs placed amongst live hairs, but you always have a risk of getting to close to an existing follicle and shocking it. It seems to come down to the density you currently have. Can you post some pics of where you're thinking of getting a surgery done?