TravisB story (4 months Finasteride only)

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I'm now 4 months on Finasteride only (Proscar cut in 5). I definitely see some improvement, especially it seems to be working on right side of my hairline, where the scar is, and on the photo with flash it looks like all the hair have thickened a bit. It's not neccesarily cosmetically desirable improvement, but I think there's more to come in the upcoming months (4 month is quite early). What's interesting, I only noticed improvement during 3rd month. Earlier it looked like nothing was happening, or more - it was worse than baseline. Actually I think I had a shed, and only now regrowth and thickening seems to be kicking in.

I also have tons of vellus hair on my temples, which are gradually getting longer and stronger, but are not yet pigmented, so they are only visible under certain lighting. If they were ever to get terminal, I would become a freaking NW1 again :D

If you were curious about my side effects, I think for the first maybe 3 months I had weird feeling in my prostate. I don't know how to describe it, but it wasn't pain. Now it seems to have went away. Libido is the same or slightly higher, and I can still get full hard on and get aroused easily. One thing I can definitely tell is that semen is more watery, but it's nothing major.

Picture 1 (daylight, baseline):

Picture 2 (daylight, 4 months in):

Picture 3 (flash, baseline)

Picture 4 (flash,4 months in)

More fair comparison (very similar lighting). I circled are where there's the biggest and most obvious improvement. Notice how light vellus hairs turned into thicker coloured hairs.

Picture 5 (flash, baseline). It might actually look better than it really was, because it was freshly cut and there probably are some cut hairs that stick to the rest of hair making the areas look thicker:

Picture 6 (flash, 4 months in):

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
picture 1 is better than 2, picture 4 is better than 3.

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
On the second thought, let's not play this guessing game :D I'll tell you right of the bat which picture is which. I updated 1st post.

IT WORKS!

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
4 months in! Great improvement there brother, let's hope it gets better and better! ;)

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
I added two more pictures in very similar lighting and camera settings for more fair comparison.

Actually I think my hairline is getting thickening and regrowth, but rest of the hair remains untouched (yet?)

wareagle

Reaction score
I was looking at the scar on your hairline and in the 4 month pics it looks like you have more in front of the scar.

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
Do you think such early regrowth indicates that I'll be very good responder? On official Propecia site it says that most men should have visible results after at least 6 months, but I'm 4 months in and I'm already seeing results.

This is one of my favorite success stories, and I'm hoping that maybe I could mimic it because I have similar hairloss (Norwood 6 diffuse but no bald spots, only my temples are quite ravaged but there still are vellus hairs visible and it looks like they are growing stronger).

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/50735-Shocking-results!

This guy also used finasteride alone (+ laser comb, but it allegedly does crap), and my baseline was better than his.

wareagle

Reaction score
From reading around it seems the diffuse thinners do good on finasteride. I don't know what to think about the laser comb, but I doubt I'll ever buy one. I'm only doing finasteride and nizoral, and keeping my fingers crossed that I can save mine until something better comes out.

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
Today marks 6 months since I started finasteride.

I think it's all good. I have definitely maintained, and experienced a little bit of thickening and regrowth. Also little to no side effects.

However the results are not what I wished for.

Do you think that finasteride could really kick in just now? I heard that usually after 6 months is when the magic begins.

progosu

Reaction score
hair growth process is extremely slow... 6 months is nothing. If you're not afraid of taking finasteride why don't you get on minoxidil and use a shampoo with ketoconazole?

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
hair growth process is extremely slow... 6 months is nothing. If you're not afraid of taking finasteride why don't you get on minoxidil and use a shampoo with ketoconazole?

minoxidil is a pain in the *** to apply, so I want to avoid it.

Maybe I'll add it later, but now I'm going to wait until at least 1 year mark to judge finasteride

progosu

Reaction score
pain in the ***? come on.. it takes like 30 seconds to put it on with a sprayer

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
pain in the ***? come on.. it takes like 30 seconds to put it on with a sprayer

Rogaine foam is expensive, and after liquid minoxidil your hair and head is extremely greasy and takes a very long time to dry

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, here are two 7.5 month in pics. Finasteride only. Tell me if I have good results or what? Is it working? Do you think 7.5 month is still early and it cmight get better?

Pic 1 baseline:

7.5 months in:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Pic 2 baseline:

7.5 months in:

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Definite improvement, hair looks darker all over the scalp, scalp is much less visible, = thicker hair. You should add Nizoral, just my opinion, and WAIT until 18 months to judge, my hair looked **** from the shed when I start, then better, then **** from another shed, and now it seems to be thicken even more, albeit very slowly. I'm at the 11 month mark on finasteride and 18 months using nizoral.

What finasteride you taking?

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
I take Proscar cut in 5

The worst part for me is left side of my hairline which f*cks up the symmetry. It's not bald, I still have thin hair that I can feel with my hand there (but they didnt show on the photo very well) and I wonder if they'll be able to thicken to fill up that area. Maybe if I added minoxidil the results would be much better.

But I think I'm going to hold on for 2 years on finasteride alone (if I'll have no bothering side effects) and see what will happen before I add minoxidil.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are both pictures with the same number clipper, freshly cut? If so, that's impressive.

Admin

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
They aren't freshly cut, but I think they are about the same length

I'm actually sure I have SOME regrowth/thickening, especially on the right side of my hairline. I can even see it in mirror. But the results are still not satisfying enough.

I'll be waiting and hoping for more to come! And eventually I will add minoxidil at some point.

Interesting thing is, since taking finasteride my body and facial hair became noticeably stronger and thicker, and my whole body seems to be getting bulkier and more manly. Now I don't know if it's a coincidence because I entered the age (22) when my body/facial hair should naturally grow stronger and my posture should change to more masculine, or might I have hyperandrogenicity or something because of finasteride? Or maybe elevated test levels?

But it doesn't bother me and I actually quite like it. My penis still works, sex drive is sometimes low, sometimes VERY high. However the semen is definitely more watery and there's less amount of it.

Exodus2011

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Weird our hair loss situations are same (diffusers) and ive been on finasteride for 4 months now, just 1.25 mg every other day tho

I hve the same thing, i see my body more ripped and bulkier as well

Feels good tho.

Im having some hair thickening, and my hair loss isnt that noticeable really

Same with yours (according to your latest pics)

Ive also been using minoxidil for a year now tho (some thickening from that too)

TravisB

Established Member
Reaction score
I read some people saying that finasteride doesn't really flex it's muscles until 8-12 months mark. I have now entered 9 month and I will be waiting and hoping for the best.