Trend noticed: South Koreans are continuously curing male pattern baldness with "natural" treatments

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Researchers from South Korea have now found effective ways to cure or at least help with male pattern baldness with three distinct natural treatments: pumpkin seed oil, cistanche tubulosa + laminaria japnica, and now rice bran extract. I had noticed this before with just two studies, but with the rice bran study being discussed today that makes three "scientific" studies published in the medical literature.

I don't know what's up with this bizarre sociological phenomenon, any ideas?

Safety and Efficacy of Rice Bran Supercritical CO2 Extract for Hair Growth in Androgenic Alopecia: A 16-Week Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial
Jae-Suk Choi, Jae Beom Park, Woi-Sook Moon, Jin-Nam Moon, Sang Wook Son, Mi-Ryung Kim
Major in Food Biotechnology, Division of Bioindustry, College of Medical and Life Sciences, Silla University 2) Department of Dermatology, Korea University Ansan Hospital 3) Department of R&D, ECOMINE Co., Ltd.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/38/12/38_b15-00387/_html#sec03.01

Efficacy of Cistanche Tubulosa and Laminaria Japonica Extracts (MK-R7) Supplement in Preventing Patterned Hair Loss and Promoting Scalp Health
Joon Seok, Tae Su Kim, Hyun Jung Kwon, Sung Pyo Lee, Myung Hwa Kang, Beom Joon Kim,and Myeung Nam Kim
Department of Dermatology, Chung-Ang University College of Medicine, Seoul 156-755, Korea.
Misuba RTech Co., Ltd., Asan 336-795, Korea.
Department of Food and Nutrition, Hoseo University, Asan 336-795, Korea.
http://synapse.koreamed.org/search....7762/cnr.2015.4.2.124&code=0214CNR&vmode=FULL

Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Young Hye Cho, Sang Yeoup Lee, Dong Wook Jeong, Eun Jung Choi, Yun Jin Kim, Jeong Gyu Lee, Yu Hyeon Yi, and Hyeong Soo Cha
Family Medicine Clinic and Research Institute of Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Beomeo-ri, Mulgeum-eup, Yangsan 770-626, Gyeongsangnam-do, Republic of Korea
Medical Education Unit, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Yangsan 626-870, Republic of Korea
Department of Family Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan 602-739, Republic of Korea
Centum Family Clinic, Busan 612-020, Republic of Korea
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/549721/abs/

Edited to add on April 7th, 2015
Bee Venom Promotes Hair Growth in Association with Inhibiting 5α-Reductase Expression.
Park S1, Erdogan S, Hwang D, Hwang S, Han EH, Lim YH.
Department of Integrated Biomedical and Life Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University.
Alopecia is an important issue that can occur in people of all ages. Recent studies show that bee venom can be used to treat certain diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, neuralgia, and multiple sclerosis. In this study, we investigated the preventive effect of bee venom on alopecia, which was measured by applying bee venom (0.001, 0.005, and 0.01%) or minoxidil (2%) as a positive control to the dorsal skin of female C57BL/6 mice for 19 days. Growth factors responsible for hair growth were analyzed by quantitative real-time PCR and western blot analysis using mice skins and human dermal papilla cells (hDPCs). Bee venom promoted hair growth and inhibited transition from the anagen to catagen phase. In both anagen phase mice and dexamethasone-induced catagen phase mice, hair growth was increased dose dependently compared with controls. Bee venom inhibited the expression of SRD5A2, which encodes a type II 5α-reductase that plays a major role in the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Moreover, bee venom stimulated proliferation of hDPCs and several growth factors (IGF-1R, VEGF, FGF2, and FGF7) in bee venom-treated hDPCs dose dependently compared with the control group. In conclusion, bee venom is a potentially potent 5α-reductase inhibitor and hair growth promoter.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27040904

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically a bunch of supplements that increase blood flow, decrease inflammation and generally promote good health and skin, all of them less effective than minoxidil at growing hair and none of them proven to maintain hair as finasteride does. I'd say if they worked for Koreans, its because they have fantastic hair genese to start with, they really aren't very prone to male pattern baldness, as one of those papers pointed out, male pattern baldness affects "0.2-2%%" of the world's population? I think not... In Korea, China or India hair genes kick the **** out of ****ty caucasian, Arab and to a lesser extent black hair genes. They could probably regrow hair if somebody gave them a lovely hug! I'm surprised they don't just spontaneously regrow hair if they're in a better than normal mood!

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
So basically a bunch of supplements that increase blood flow, decrease inflammation and generally promote good health and skin, all of them less effective than minoxidil at growing hair and none of them proven to maintain hair as finasteride does. I'd say if they worked for Koreans, its because they have fantastic hair genese to start with, they really aren't very prone to male pattern baldness, as one of those papers pointed out, male pattern baldness affects "0.2-2%%" of the world's population? I think not... In Korea, China or India hair genes kick the **** out of ****ty caucasian, Arab and to a lesser extent black hair genes. They could probably regrow hair if somebody gave them a lovely hug! I'm surprised they don't just spontaneously regrow hair if they're in a better than normal mood!

I don't think that's it at all. I believe these to be doctored studies.

There are tons of bald people in the Asian countries. If they're going bald, then they'll need the same treatments to not grow bald. Bald asians are not going to grow back hair from a hug.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was just joking, there certainly are lots of bald Asians, and usually Asians who go bald go very bald, thin, wispy NW7s. But it usually doesn't occur until much later in life. A bal or balding 20 something or even 30 something Asian is very rare.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't it because in some of these countries you can actually patent natural products ?

MAS95

Reaction score
:laugh:

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've edited the top post to include the new study on bee venom.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bee venom is a mouse study, so idk about that.

Pumpkin seed, Cistanche, Lamarina Japonica...have tried cistanche, on pumpkin seed oil now. Been taking it for 2 months now. Nothing cool to report. Less shedding, maybe

warner8

Established Member
Reaction score
if your gonna call ppl out on bull**** why dont you start with that follicle thought guy who gets us hype over snake oil products
Researchers from South Korea have now found effective ways to cure or at least help with male pattern baldness with three distinct natural treatments: pumpkin seed oil, cistanche tubulosa + laminaria japnica, and now rice bran extract. I had noticed this before with just two studies, but with the rice bran study being discussed today that makes three "scientific" studies published in the medical literature.

I don't know what's up with this bizarre sociological phenomenon, any ideas?

Safety and Efficacy of Rice Bran Supercritical CO2 Extract for Hair Growth in Androgenic Alopecia: A 16-Week Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Trial
Jae-Suk Choi, Jae Beom Park, Woi-Sook Moon, Jin-Nam Moon, Sang Wook Son, Mi-Ryung Kim
Major in Food Biotechnology, Division of Bioindustry, College of Medical and Life Sciences, Silla University 2) Department of Dermatology, Korea University Ansan Hospital 3) Department of R&D, ECOMINE Co., Ltd.
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bpb/38/12/38_b15-00387/_html#sec03.01

Efficacy of Cistanche Tubulosa and Laminaria Japonica Extracts (MK-R7) Supplement in Preventing Patterned Hair Loss and Promoting Scalp Health
Joon Seok, Tae Su Kim, Hyun Jung Kwon, Sung Pyo Lee, Myung Hwa Kang, Beom Joon Kim,and Myeung Nam Kim
Department of Dermatology, Chung-Ang University College of Medicine, Seoul 156-755, Korea.
Misuba RTech Co., Ltd., Asan 336-795, Korea.
Department of Food and Nutrition, Hoseo University, Asan 336-795, Korea.
http://synapse.koreamed.org/search....7762/cnr.2015.4.2.124&code=0214CNR&vmode=FULL

Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial
Young Hye Cho, Sang Yeoup Lee, Dong Wook Jeong, Eun Jung Choi, Yun Jin Kim, Jeong Gyu Lee, Yu Hyeon Yi, and Hyeong Soo Cha
Family Medicine Clinic and Research Institute of Convergence of Biomedical Science and Technology, Pusan National University Yangsan Hospital, Beomeo-ri, Mulgeum-eup, Yangsan 770-626, Gyeongsangnam-do, Republic of Korea
Medical Education Unit, Pusan National University School of Medicine, Yangsan 626-870, Republic of Korea
Department of Family Medicine, Pusan National University Hospital, Busan 602-739, Republic of Korea
Centum Family Clinic, Busan 612-020, Republic of Korea
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/549721/abs/

Edited to add on April 7th, 2015
Bee Venom Promotes Hair Growth in Association with Inhibiting 5α-Reductase Expression.
Park S1, Erdogan S, Hwang D, Hwang S, Han EH, Lim YH.
Department of Integrated Biomedical and Life Sciences, Graduate School, Korea University.
Alopecia is an important issue that can occur in people of all ages. Recent studies show that bee venom can be used to treat certain diseases including rheumatoid arthritis, neuralgia, and multiple sclerosis. In this study, we investigated the preventive effect of bee venom on alopecia, which was measured by applying bee venom (0.001, 0.005, and 0.01%) or minoxidil (2%) as a positive control to the dorsal skin of female C57BL/6 mice for 19 days. Growth factors responsible for hair growth were analyzed by quantitative real-time PCR and western blot analysis using mice skins and human dermal papilla cells (hDPCs). Bee venom promoted hair growth and inhibited transition from the anagen to catagen phase. In both anagen phase mice and dexamethasone-induced catagen phase mice, hair growth was increased dose dependently compared with controls. Bee venom inhibited the expression of SRD5A2, which encodes a type II 5α-reductase that plays a major role in the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Moreover, bee venom stimulated proliferation of hDPCs and several growth factors (IGF-1R, VEGF, FGF2, and FGF7) in bee venom-treated hDPCs dose dependently compared with the control group. In conclusion, bee venom is a potentially potent 5α-reductase inhibitor and hair growth promoter.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27040904

TheWig

Reaction score
Keep going :)

Don't let people discourage you. If through researching natural hairloss treatments you become healthier and look better all round then that's amazing. In fact there are many studies that show the effects of unhealthy habits affecting hair growth and the speed of hair loss. I 100% believe that you can at least slow down hair loss by using certain oils on your scalp, use a good multi vitamin and eat a lot of fish and vegetables :) If not then at least it's keeping me young and healthy :)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
k9gatton,

I'm nearly convinced that most herbal studies are frauds, not just for hair loss but for anything.

I have nothing against herbal medicine, I think it's a great idea, but the level of scientific rigour seems low, so it's not particularly useful in the end.

Interesting exception I learned about: Horny goat weet contains the molecule sidenafil, which is famous because v**** is sidenafil citrate. So it's not all BS lol. But it's mostly BS unfortunately.