Tricomin/Revivogen - Super Combo?

bbking

Reaction score
So I was going over some of the guides on this site (so much information on here...it's slightly intimidating), and I noticed there are five categories. I figured if I chose the fewest products that covered the most categories, I can get the most cost and effort-effective hair treatment solution. So based on that, it looks like I should be using

Revivogen - 1. DHT Inhibitor, 2. Anti-androgen
Tricomin - 3. Growth stimulator 4. SOD 5. Anti-inflammatory

So it seems that just these two products will cover everything. Revivogen blocks two types of DHT, as opposed to Propecia, and it doesn't have sexual side effects, AND it's cheaper than Propecia (what advantage does Propecia have over Revivogen at all?). Tricomin seems to do all the rest, and it's on the "hairlosstalk proven treatment list".

It says that Tricomin is best with Rogaine, but I have pretty mild hairloss - so far only my roommate has noticed that my hair is thinning, so would the hair regrowth properties of Tricomin be fine without having to resort to Rogaine?

Overall, it looks like just these two products will cover everything - but it also seems too easy, like there's some obvious drawback or something that I'm missing. Do any of the experienced pros here want to weigh in to warn me or shed some light that I'm not seeing here? Otherwise, Tricomin/Revivogen seems perfect.

Is there something else I should get in addition to these two? Would I be find just getting the topicals, without any of the "complete packs" for extra money? My hair is styled in a short fade (I'm black), so having "fuller body and bounce" have no effect on me, lol.

Thanks again guys!

BB

Cassin

Reaction score
bbking said:
So I was going over some of the guides on this site (so much information on here...it's slightly intimidating)

Welcome! It took me a few months to fully navigate it

bbking said:
it looks like I should be using

Revivogen - 1. DHT Inhibitor, 2. Anti-androgen
Tricomin - 3. Growth stimulator 4. SOD 5. Anti-inflammatory

So it seems that just these two products will cover everything. Revivogen blocks two types of DHT, as opposed to Propecia, and it doesn't have sexual side effects, AND it's cheaper than Propecia (what advantage does Propecia have over Revivogen at all?). Tricomin seems to do all the rest, and it's on the "hairlosstalk proven treatment list".

Your on the right track for sure. But I think you have read too much into the "Side effect area."

I read your post twice and to me you seem to have a very good grasp on the fundamentals. Have you read the 5 year study on Finasteride on this site? Please do and notice how the side effect group on actual Finasteride was almost the same as the side effect group for the Placebo. The difference was less then 1% between the two at an already low LESS THAN 3%. Sounds promising and safe does it not?

As for cost. Look into cutting up Proscar 5mg into either 4ths or 5ths for cost. At that your looking at around $15 to $20 per month for Finasteride.

As for Propecia....I think revivo is more costly than Propecia.

Popping one pill a day is so much easier than applying a topical.

bbking said:
So it seems that just these two products will cover everything. Revivogen blocks two types of DHT

There is only onw type of DHT we need to worry about. And that my friend is covered by Finasteride.

bbking said:
Tricomin seems to do all the rest, and it's on the "hairlosstalk proven treatment list". It says that Tricomin is best with Rogaine, but I have pretty mild hairloss - so far only my roommate has noticed that my hair is thinning, so would the hair regrowth properties of Tricomin be fine without having to resort to Rogaine?

At this point I wouldn't worry about Tricomin. Look into Nizoral 1% for your Anti-inflammatory issues.

bbking said:
... it also seems too easy, like there's some obvious drawback or something that I'm missing. Do any of the experienced pros here want to weigh in to warn me or shed some light that I'm not seeing here? Otherwise, Tricomin/Revivogen seems perfect.

Actually it is easy and I have outlined an EASIER routine for you as well as CHEAPER. :)

bbking said:
Is there something else I should get in addition to these two? Would I be find just getting the topicals, without any of the "complete packs" for extra money? My hair is styled in a short fade (I'm black), so having "fuller body and bounce" have no effect on me, lol.

Thanks again guys!

BB

NO NO NO NO NO! People make this so hard and drop to much money on products they don't need. Don't buy any supplement crap or Rogaine just yet. Save your money and try this routine for awhile and then add later.

I swear I feel like I missed something in your post please let me know if I did.

P.S I love me some BBKING. one of my favorite CD's is "Riding with the King" with Clapton.

bbking

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your in depth response! I really appreciate it, and once I become competent, I hope to help others just like that.

bbking said:
it looks like I should be using
Your on the right track for sure. But I think you have read too much into the "Side effect area."

I read your post twice and to me you seem to have a very good grasp on the fundamentals. Have you read the 5 year study on Finasteride on this site? Please do and notice how the side effect group on actual Finasteride was almost the same as the side effect group for the Placebo. The difference was less then 1% between the two at an already low LESS THAN 3%. Sounds promising and safe does it not?

I agree, but I started to worry a bit more when I saw several posts from people who complained about mild to several sexual side effects. Clinical studies are a good way to see the big picture, but when people actually post about those negative side-effects, it has a somewhat more potent effect, know what I mean?

So have majority of the people on finasteride here not had any sexual side effects at all?

As for cost. Look into cutting up Proscar 5mg into either 4ths or 5ths for cost. At that your looking at around $15 to $20 per month for Finasteride.

Can I get a prescription for Proscar for hair treatment? I was under the impression that it's only for people with prostate problems (even though the active ingredients are the same). Will the pharmacist honor a request for proscar if I'm given a perscription for Propecia? Or will I have to convince my dermatologist to give me a prescription for Proscar instead for economic reasons? Is that what you had to do?

As for Propecia....I think revivo is more costly than Propecia.

This site said that the cost per month for revivo was less than propecia, but if I can use proscar instead, then that's a non-issue. Can you cut it up in advance and store it? I'd hate to have to wake up every few days and cut, cut, cut.

Popping one pill a day is so much easier than applying a topical.

I dunno, it's not a big deal for me because my hair is styled short. I've been using minoxodil for about a month and I just spray, wipe and go. Is that the only advantage of finasteride over Revivo?

bbking said:
So it seems that just these two products will cover everything. Revivogen blocks two types of DHT
There is only onw type of DHT we need to worry about. And that my friend is covered by Finasteride.

Oh...so the second type of DHT that this site mentioned that Revivo blocks is just marketing bunk? I know there's the DHT that the fake herbal pills block that have no effect on hair, but according to this site:

The ingredients used in the Scalp Therapy formula have been proven to inhibit the 5AR enzyme that is responsible for the formation of DHT. Additionally, while Propecia is only able to inhibit type II serum 5AR levels by 70%, the ingredients in Scalp Therapy Formula are able to inhibit both types can equally inhibit both type I and II 5AR up to 98%. Additionally it has another active ingredient which has been proven to prevent DHT's attachment to its receptors on the follicle, providing additional protection. This method of action is what is responsible for its ability to assist in maintaining your hair over long periods of time.

It makes it sound as though that second type is pretty important, and positions it as an advantage over Propecia. What's your take?

At this point I wouldn't worry about Tricomin. Look into Nizoral 1% for your Anti-inflammatory issues.

ok, so just to recap - right now I should just go with finasteride and Nizoral? But what covers the hair regrowth portion of my treatment? I know I said my thinning was really mild, but....its still there.

I'm also still a little unclear from the site's explanation about what the benefit of an anti-inflammatory is. My head doesn't feel inflamed.

Actually it is easy and I have outlined an EASIER routine for you as well as CHEAPER. :)

easier and cheaper are my two favorite words!

NO NO NO NO NO! People make this so hard and drop to much money on products they don't need. Don't buy any supplement crap or Rogaine just yet. Save your money and try this routine for awhile and then add later.

So my success criteria shouldn't be re-growth with what you've recommended, but rather the end of my hair falling out, right? Should i add more if I don't see hair coming back in?

I swear I feel like I missed something in your post please let me know if I did.

I don't think so, I think you're covering all of my questions, thank you! I was still just a little worried about whether or not the finasteride/nizoral combo alone would do enough to re-grow.

P.S I love me some BBKING. one of my favorite CD's is "Riding with the King" with Clapton.

Hey! Another BB fan! Right on!

Does anyone else want to weigh in, if they have different recommendations or approaches?

Thanks!

Cassin

Reaction score
bbking said:
I agree, but I started to worry a bit more when I saw several posts from people who complained about mild to several sexual side effects. Clinical studies are a good way to see the big picture, but when people actually post about those negative side-effects, it has a somewhat more potent effect, know what I mean?

Put it into perspective. Where are you going to go if you have problems? These sites are problem sites and education sites. We cater to a rare breed.

The educated are as rare as the problem folks. Most people don't care to learn. As they have a right to do.

bbking said:
Can I get a prescription for Proscar for hair treatment? I was under the impression that it's only for people with prostate problems (even though the active ingredients are the same). Will the pharmacist honor a request for proscar if I'm given a perscription for Propecia? Or will I have to convince my dermatologist to give me a prescription for Proscar instead for economic reasons? Is that what you had to do?

Depends on how your Doctor works. Just educate yourself and inform him about what your doing and why (saving money.) They don't know anythign about hairloss. The problem isn't covered by insurance so the patients seeking infor are rare. They are more concerned (and rightly so) about the sick patient in room #3. Not the balding dude in room #6.

Just assure him you won't take the whole 5mg.

If a pharmacy denied a doctors RX you would think you would have a legal issue right?

And yes my Doctor wrote me an rx. By some freak stroke of luck my insurance covers Finasteride. I pay a co-pay and that is all.

bbking said:
This site said that the cost per month for revivo was less than propecia, but if I can use proscar instead, then that's a non-issue. Can you cut it up in advance and store it? I'd hate to have to wake up every few days and cut, cut, cut.

I imagine Propecia has gone up since that has been written. I could be wrong but I think Propecia is a few dollars more now per month.

You should only cut up about 2 pills at a time. Once you get the hang of it, if it takes you more than 90 seconds to cut two pills, your doing soemthing wrong. :)

bbking said:
I dunno, it's not a big deal for me because my hair is styled short. I've been using minoxodil for about a month and I just spray, wipe and go. Is that the only advantage of finasteride over Revivo

Pop a pill and go. I didn't know you were using Rogaine.

Hmmm.....why if all you want is to maintaine?

How long have you used Rogaine?

bbking said:
Oh...so the second type of DHT that this site mentioned that Revivo blocks is just marketing bunk? I know there's the DHT that the fake herbal pills block that have no effect on hair, but according to this site:

The ingredients used in the Scalp Therapy formula have been proven to inhibit the 5AR enzyme that is responsible for the formation of DHT. Additionally, while Propecia is only able to inhibit type II serum 5AR levels by 70%, the ingredients in Scalp Therapy Formula are able to inhibit both types can equally inhibit both type I and II 5AR up to 98%. Additionally it has another active ingredient which has been proven to prevent DHT's attachment to its receptors on the follicle, providing additional protection. This method of action is what is responsible for its ability to assist in maintaining your hair over long periods of time.

It makes it sound as though that second type is pretty important, and positions it as an advantage over Propecia. What's your take?

Well Revivo has fatty acids as well. Let me get back to you on this one. Send me a PM if I forget within a week. I have too look up some posts for you.

Revivo is very helpful but I would try Finasteride first.

bbking said:
ok, so just to recap - right now I should just go with finasteride and Nizoral? But what covers the hair regrowth portion of my treatment? I know I said my thinning was really mild, but....its still there.

I got the impression all you wanted was to maintain. My bad. Well your on Rogaine so your covered. Add Tricomin if you get medium to severe irritation from Rogaine.

bbking said:
Does anyone else want to weigh in, if they have different recommendations or approaches?

Very smart bro. Not just reading one persons opinion and asking for others. I have a feeling your gonna do just fine. :)

bbking

Reaction score
bbking said:

Cassin said:
Put it into perspective. Where are you going to go if you have problems? These sites are problem sites and education sites. We cater to a rare breed.

Yeah, that's a good point. ok, I'll give the pills a try, then. But aside from the "liquid form"/"pill form" aspect of it, are there any documented differences in effectiveness between the two, or are they negligibly similar?

Cassin said:
Depends on how your Doctor works. Just educate yourself and inform him about what your doing and why (saving money.) They don't know anythign about hairloss. The problem isn't covered by insurance so the patients seeking infor are rare. They are more concerned (and rightly so) about the sick patient in room #3. Not the balding dude in room #6.

In the interest of full disclosure, my doctor is a very attractive woman and I've kinda had a thing for her. I feel a little uncomfortable bringing up hair thinning to her, so the fact that I can buy a solution without a prescription was pretty appealing, but if finasteride is more effective (which I'm still not sure about) and possibly cheaper, then I'll either have to swallow my pride or go to another doctor. Or perhaps a dermatologist instead. Are derms able to prescribe those kinds of medications?

And yes, I should probably get another doctor if attraction is a problem. But still...she's hot.

If a pharmacy denied a doctors RX you would think you would have a legal issue right?

Oh, I was referring to having a prescription for Propecia but asking for Proscar instead, since they're both finasteride. But now that I think about it, that wouldn't work anyway.

And yes my Doctor wrote me an rx. By some freak stroke of luck my insurance covers Finasteride. I pay a co-pay and that is all.

Wow...who's your insurance provider? I have BC/BS - NY.

I imagine Propecia has gone up since that has been written. I could be wrong but I think Propecia is a few dollars more now per month.

ok, so the financial benefit is only realized if I get Proscar instead of Propecia, right?

bbking said:
I dunno, it's not a big deal for me because my hair is styled short. I've been using minoxodil for about a month and I just spray, wipe and go. Is that the only advantage of finasteride over Revivo

Pop a pill and go. I didn't know you were using Rogaine.
Hmmm.....why if all you want is to maintaine?

Well, I started it before I did any research into anything. On Monday, I noticed thinning, on Tuesday I was in the store and I picked up a 5% min. I didn't know what options I had at all.

I don't want to just maintain - the fact that I noticed thinning means that other people may notice it too, so I wouldn't want to just keep it the way it is. I don't want it to get *worse*, but I'd like the thinning that I did notice to go away again. I'm surprised that not everybody who has experienced thinning would want to return it to the state it was in before they noticed it in the first place.

On the same topic, I also read in the Min instructions that it's only effective for, I think, 48 months or something like that. Have you read this too? Does that mean that after 48 months, Min won't work anymore and your hair is going to fall out no matter what...or what?

How long have you used Rogaine?

About a month. Maybe less. One strange side effect is that it's given me an awfully bad case of dandruff, and my scalp is a bit white now (because I have a really short hairstyle, it's easy to notice it). So I've refrained from putting it on in the morning on weekdays because of the whitening effect, instead only using it at night.

Well Revivo has fatty acids as well. Let me get back to you on this one. Send me a PM if I forget within a week. I have too look up some posts for you.

ok, thanks. I'll check the archives here too. I'm sure Revivo vs. finasteride is a pretty common topic, no?

I got the impression all you wanted was to maintain. My bad. Well your on Rogaine so your covered. Add Tricomin if you get medium to severe irritation from Rogaine.

Not so much irritation, but sometimes it itches, and there's that dandruff problem.

I was originally going to stop using Min because I don't have the kind of hair loss the instructions said is necessary for min to be effective. But I was looking through the archives and someone said that Min is good for regrowing hair everywhere, not just the back of the scalp. If that's the case, why would they only advertise effectiveness for that small portion? Someone else mentioned that the reason was because they only tested that small area so by law can only talk about that area, but why would they only test that small area? And if it's effective all over, why not have secondary tests that prove it?

Thanks again for the help!