Tries not to cry (inside) Pics included

Roopp

Reaction score
I have tried all methods i have ever can try. I need your help if u can help.
Everyday i start a day with a great deal of strength but when i get home to sleep i need to recharge myself again.
I'll give u a chronicle

Background:
im 23 yrs old currently, student.
scalpe is EXTREMELY oily.
Please understand that i am very mechanical in my haircounting techniques, while it is obvious i cannot totally exactly count how many fall per day, i do count the hairs that are in showerdrain (empty), when im drying my hair (on table), and combing and on the pillow each day to have an estimation guage my progress over a period of time.

2005 - found some hair loss > went doctor > prescribe mindoxidil, didnt really know what's male pattern baldness etc, so followed with sceptiscism on and off.

Nov 2006 - found great hair loss > went doctor (skin center) >

Jan 2007- Went to yunnan (http://www.yunnamhaircare.com/hair_problem_oily.html)

honestly i feel even tired to write this, but i know im going to get some strength back when i finish this and maybe some encouragement from fellow people

the yunnan people shampoos my hair, applies an oily liquid over my scalp and steam it, and then shampoo again before applying a liquid "essence" over the scalp. the next day i would experience very little hair loss (like less than10) but it becomes more gradual (around 70) until the next week when i visit them again.

this went on for 4 months before i realise it is not going to be sustainable and it seems it keeps my very oily scalp clean but not going to workable in the long term since its expensive and doesnt seem to "work"
my mom helped abit, i paid $5500, i paused the treatment in april.
The doctor who i visit said that the less hair loss is because really they just removing the weak hairs so it appears that there are less hair loss on the next day. I bought his argument then.

April 2007 - i started taking propecia. ($90) While doing that i alternate between the yunnam shampoo and selenium Sulfide and head and shoulders shampoo

July 2007 - sept 2007 - it appears to me that there was improvement. I feel the density is better visually. I continue to face the problem of oily scalp. At the height of my improvenebt - i could achieve less than 10 hair in the shower drain. Now on hindsight, i wouldnt know if it was due to yunnam or propecia.

Mid October 2007 - hair loss took a down turn. The pillow started showing strands of suddenly 20. I remember that night because i believe there was a link between late night. And i thought it was one night, no it was not. It went on, every night. every night until today still. It ranges between 18(least) to 30. It is scary. I collect them away before my mom sees it, i dont want to freak her out.

Nov 2007 - My dandruff becomes serious. I tried different shampoos nizoral for a few weeks doesnt help, then i knew i might be using too many shampoos so i tried a gentle one and a nizoral, but the gentle shampoo doesnt really remove the oiliness from my scalp and feels greasy/itchy.

Dec 2007 By this time i had tried alot of shampoos and methods of shampooing / lathering and making sure i know i need to persevere for each shampoo for awhile and knowing the limits to continue. ($10 head and shoulders-oily / $35 loreal-gentle / $20 nizoral ) i spent i guess $100 just on shampoos for awhile because of their varying expensiveness for a period of time since october. I went back to the doctor for my checkup on my scalp and he said there's really nothing to do anymore (2 years already) other than a blood test which proved everything inside me is fine. I ask pharmacists for minoxidil to use it disciplinary for once.

Minoxidil is oily and i feel its not helping in the sense of my oily scalp. I cannot imagine how anything can be absorbed if the scalp is thinly greased. Of course shampooing has removed the greasiness abit but i think only those truely oily scalp will understand the feeling when u use your finger to touch it, the greasiness remains. Oily scalp is a problem which aggravate hair loss, i would like to let those who dont believe it does. Even it doesnt contribute directly to hair loss, this is how it can contribute indirectly.

My oily scalp is giving me the problems of my life. The issue i face daily is whether i should shampoo twice a day (means the 2nd time at night) or once. Dilemma - clean scalp + makes scalp tendency to secrete more oil VS oily scalp at night
I shampoo in the morning because i need to go out. If i shampoo at night, the hair goes greasy again in the morning. Unpresentable.

Today the V shape and front recession becomes very visible. Im shattered.

Attachments

• Image165hg.JPG
    Image165hg.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 3,061

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
I have identical symptoms when I first experienced hair loss. I found I needed to wash my hair at least twice a day everyday , or else my entire scalp would break out in red bumps. Try not to add any oils to your scalp as it will make your oily scalp worse. Use normal shampoo with 2 percent nizoral every other day. I use rogaine foam after drying my hair in the morning and before bed. Stick with the BIG 3, cause i've tried all the snake oils before finding this site and nothing else works. Save some money by using proscar, its way cheaper good luck.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
What kinda diet do you have man? Because if its KFC and McDonalds and other junk food, then that could be a reason for the oily scalp issue. It can also contribute to hairloss from a malnutrition stand point. Honestly I really dont think your hairloss is THAT bad, its starting to thin on the crown, but i think you can definitely recover from this. Alot of people jump on there hairloss regimes but continue to lead unhealthy lives, having a poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking, drugs whatever. Ive been on Rogaine Foam for a year now and it has almost filled in my crown which looked very similar to yours in the beginning. But I didnt see ANY result up until the last couple of months because I changed my diet to LOW GI foods, no blood sugar spiking etc. My skin improved dramatically in that time. My face is much smoother and fresh looking. The same can be said for my scalp and hair I have never seen it so healthy. All these fancy shampoos you apply to your hair are in a word, garbage (imo) because the hair is dead above the surface of the scalp. The living part, the root is below the skin and that is effected by what we put into our bodies. For example scientists can even determine what under arm deodorant we are using just by chemical analysis of a hair strand! Freaky hey? So thats how important it is to put the right fuel in our body.

Anyway in a nutshell, my advice is continue to use the big 3. Forget about the fancy shampoos just use regular stuff. Get a new low GI heath diet (there is lots of books about it) and start an exercise regime to become healthy. This way ur maximizing your hair growth potential.

Good Luck.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Roopp said:
I collect them away before my mom sees it, i dont want to freak her out.

hairloss is an (unfortunately) natural phenomenon. ask your mom to be supportive and not freaked out.

anyway, you've still got a lot of hair. take finasteride and hope for the best. if all else fails you can focus on diet and the gym.

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
It can also contribute to hairloss from a malnutrition stand point.

this is complete hearsay and pseudo-science. from what i understand hairloss is genetic. diet/masturbation/weight-lifting has no correlation.

lovemyhair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hair loss is genetic, but things that make my scalp oily and break out get worse if my diet or stress is bad. Proscar is one step to block dht which is genetic. I found when I ate well, my sebum production on my forehead and scalp was drastically reduced. Also, working out flushed out my clogged pores, otherwise my face and scalp breakout in mad acne etc. :puke: Its best to keep oneself in a healthy state, so ones scalp and hair are healthy, giving the meds the best conditions to work. Roope, get on foam soon, it works good in your region of hair loss.

boboski23

Reaction score
Hi,
can i know which part of the world are you from?
i almost went to yunnan or beijing101 =)

stick to the BIG 3... i have great results from them

N

needlesting

Hey man, i have oily scalp too and i used to run my fingers into my hair and spread the oil, it only made things worse,btw other than ur diet which can trigger the oil glands there are other things that can make ur hair more oily and they r sleeping and stress the more u think abt ur hair problems the more likely things will get worse so sleep well and another thing cut ur hair short and start on the big 3 and wash ur hair every other day..gd luck man

metalheaddude

Reaction score
treeshrew said:
metalheaddude said:
It can also contribute to hairloss from a malnutrition stand point.

this is complete hearsay and pseudo-science. from what i understand hairloss is genetic. diet/masturbation/weight-lifting has no correlation.

I clearly state "It can contribute" emphasis on contribute. Yes hairloss is genetic, but other outside external factors like hormone inbalances, steroids and stress can contribute to the rate at which you will bald. Malnutrition is another factor that can speed up the process a little, because your hair is not getting the necessary vitmains it requires. Its common sense dude. Why do you see half the guys on this board supplimenting with vitamins like green tea or biotin etc? Gotta be a reason for that right? Again, its common sense.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
nothing works other than the big 3 and maybe dutasteride

I tried everything myself.

Roopp

Reaction score
thanks to the replies

metalheaddude: what is low GI foods GI?
boboski23: Singapore. (where do you get your supplies ib? if youre from sg)
needlesting: I agree that sleep timing do affect. I cant wash my hair every other day, will be too oily, washes daily (below) I cant imagine how i would cut short my hair at the moment, it would be very apparent for now, i'm sure it would be easier to clean but it is not going to lessen the oilness i think, vs the obviousness when its short

To clarify, i am still intaking Propecia since april it has been 9 months. Singapore does not sell proscar nor the regaine foam, only liquid minoxidil (Package: Growell / Minxodi 5) and finasteride

I have a very healthy diet, i do not eat fast food, and love sports, i go gyming and running frequently but have cut down the frequencies to only once per week (which is still good). My food intake consists mostly of clear soup stuffs and steamed meat and many veggies and rice/noodle, little oil. I have a healthy lifestyle in regards to food intake and body exercises.

i think pic will clearly elaborate what i mean, the following pics will show u the amount of oil generated normally so u can have a sense of what i mean. And in that sense, i am unclear how i should proceed with more washing (maybe 2 times a day instead, or just go to bed with an oily scalp at night since my usual daily wash is in the morning) How am i to apply minoxidil when i am not confident it will seep through the oily scalp, and if i wash my scalp again at night am i washing too many a times?? I hope you know what i mean

I have also included a pic taken, i know the hair is VERY messy its not combed yet, but it clearly shows how much the issue is) without lighting just normal camera phone in a normal light setting. The hair is also dry.

Besides the above which i certainly need some comments, i need to understand some other things as well:

There's alot of talk about using nizoral and other gentle shampoo, what's the other gentle shampoo that most oily scalp uses?

Has anyone bought anything from online stores like http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/proscar.html before, from an overseas location (not in america) What online stores are reliable?

There's going to be a major festival a new year which we celebrate in Singapore in the coming days, it's going to be a challenge facing the relatives, please continue with the comments / thoughts. thanks.

Attachments

• Image027.jpg
    Image027.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 953
  • Image008.jpg
    Image008.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 960
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 988

metalheaddude

Reaction score
You can read about low GI here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

But basically its stands for "Glycemic Index" and its a rating of how quickly all foods, specifically carbohydrates break down into simple sugars and move into our blood stream effecting our blood sugar. Its especially important for people with diabeetes. But there is emense health benefits for people on LOW GI diets, including loss and maintaince of weight and stabilization of blood sugar. May not sound to important, but it plays a vital roll in the condition of your skin, including your scalp and excessive oil condition.

Trust me its well worth looking into if you are serious about correcting your condition.

boboski23

Reaction score
Roopp said:
thanks to the replies

needlesting: I agree that sleep timing do affect. I cant wash my hair every other day, will be too oily, washes daily (below) I cant imagine how i would cut short my hair at the moment, it would be very apparent for now, i'm sure it would be easier to clean but it is not going to lessen the oilness i think, vs the obviousness when its short

To clarify, i am still intaking Propecia since april it has been 9 months. Singapore does not sell proscar nor the regaine foam, only liquid minoxidil (Package: Growell / Minxodi 5) and finasteride

I have a very healthy diet, i do not eat fast food, and love sports, i go gyming and running frequently but have cut down the frequencies to only once per week (which is still good). My food intake consists mostly of clear soup stuffs and steamed meat and many veggies and rice/noodle, little oil. I have a healthy lifestyle in regards to food intake and body exercises.

i think pic will clearly elaborate what i mean, the following pics will show u the amount of oil generated normally so u can have a sense of what i mean. And in that sense, i am unclear how i should proceed with more washing (maybe 2 times a day instead, or just go to bed with an oily scalp at night since my usual daily wash is in the morning) How am i to apply minoxidil when i am not confident it will seep through the oily scalp, and if i wash my scalp again at night am i washing too many a times?? I hope you know what i mean

I have also included a pic taken, i know the hair is VERY messy its not combed yet, but it clearly shows how much the issue is) without lighting just normal camera phone in a normal light setting. The hair is also dry.

Besides the above which i certainly need some comments, i need to understand some other things as well:

There's alot of talk about using nizoral and other gentle shampoo, what's the other gentle shampoo that most oily scalp uses?

Has anyone bought anything from online stores like http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/proscar.html before, from an overseas location (not in america) What online stores are reliable?

There's going to be a major festival a new year which we celebrate in Singapore in the coming days, it's going to be a challenge facing the relatives, please continue with the comments / thoughts. thanks.

u can get proscar from most pharmacy in singapore. All u need to do is get a prescription from your GP ( if they are understanding enough, mine do =) )

As for me i would apply minoxidil after i wash my hair( 30 minutes after towel dried my hair) . I used nizoral daily and it is useful IMO. however, it does make the hair dryer as well.

propecia in singapore is about SGD 95 dollars a month. Proscar is also about 90 dollars for a month supply, but quater it can last for 4 months. I used propecia not because i think it is more effective than proscar as the effective ingredient is the same. i used propecia as my Doctor advice me to stick to it for at least 9 months. However, she is also prepared to prescribe me proscar upon request.

Regaine 5% is about SGD 120 for 60ml
Growell 5% is about SGD 90 for 60ml
Minoxi 5% is about SGD 60 for 80ml.

I have very good result with minoxi 5.

drop the rest of the treatment and stick to the BIG 3. The rest are not as effective as the big 3.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
boboski23 said:
Roopp said:
thanks to the replies

u can get proscar from most pharmacy in singapore. All u need to do is get a prescription from your GP ( if they are understanding enough, mine do =) )

As for me i would apply minoxidil after i wash my hair( 30 minutes after towel dried my hair) . I used nizoral daily and it is useful IMO. however, it does make the hair dryer as well.

propecia in singapore is about SGD 95 dollars a month. Proscar is also about 90 dollars for a month supply, but quater it can last for 4 months. I used propecia not because i think it is more effective than proscar as the effective ingredient is the same. i used propecia as my Doctor advice me to stick to it for at least 9 months. However, she is also prepared to prescribe me proscar upon request.

Regaine 5% is about SGD 120 for 60ml
Growell 5% is about SGD 90 for 60ml
Minoxi 5% is about SGD 60 for 80ml.

I have very good result with minoxi 5.

drop the rest of the treatment and stick to the BIG 3. The rest are not as effective as the big 3.

without minoxidil and/or finasteride, one has no chance of fighting male pattern baldness.

Roopp

Reaction score
thanks for the replies

i am convinced of the big 3 theory, i would love to receive replies about the problem of my oilness, in regards:

1) Has anyone bought anything from online stores like http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/hair-loss/proscar.html before, from an overseas location What online stores are reliable

2) What other shampoo when u alternate with nizoral?

3) Considering you have understoof my oilness, Do u think i should shampoo at night (meaning twice per day) as well? (Is too many a times? If not, minoxi application will be difficult to be absorbed through the oily scalp

thanks so much

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
you have diffuse thinning in the middle of your scalp, almost looks like your hairline is still intact am i correct?

i think you should cut your hair shorter, cut it like jet li's ~

that'll make applying the treatments a lot easier and trust me, if your hair is shorter on top, it'll be hardly noticeable.

as a fellow asian I totally understand how much it sucks to lose hair when you see like 90 percent of asian guys with perfect hair.

listen to everyone..def go on big 3 and you should be okay

RaginDemon

Reaction score
shorter length actually makes the hair look thicker.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
treeshrew said:
Roopp said:
I collect them away before my mom sees it, i dont want to freak her out.

hairloss is an (unfortunately) natural phenomenon. ask your mom to be supportive and not freaked out.

anyway, you've still got a lot of hair. take finasteride and hope for the best. if all else fails you can focus on diet and the gym.

Haha yeah, my parents definitely didn't freak out. They went straight into denial. As far as they're concerned, I'm still not losing my hair although it's been pretty bad for the past year. So they don't even have to try and support me 'cause nothing's happening. I'm just going crazy or something.

what is low GI foods GI?

I can answer to that... they're foods that don't raise your insulin, in other words foods that don't have a lot of carbohydrates (no sugar, wheat, yeast, starch). The nasty insulin spikes are one of the most common cause for peoples skin issues. You should also try eating lots of good fat, like fish oils, eggs, extra virgin olive oil, extra virgin coconut oil and so on. Good fats are essential for your skin health. Unfortunately people are afraid of fat these days and everything comes ripped of fat with loads of carbs... avoid "low-fat" products. I've been on low-carb, high-fat diet since early December and I can tell you that my body is a lot tighter now. I've lost like 2 kg's but almost all trousers I have feel a bit too big now, that's how much it has helped shed the stomach fat.

Roopp

Reaction score
ps1freak said:
you have diffuse thinning in the middle of your scalp, almost looks like your hairline is still intact am i correct?

i think you should cut your hair shorter, cut it like jet li's ~

that'll make applying the treatments a lot easier and trust me, if your hair is shorter on top, it'll be hardly noticeable.

as a fellow asian I totally understand how much it sucks to lose hair when you see like 90 percent of asian guys with perfect hair.

listen to everyone..def go on big 3 and you should be okay

I have v shapes at the temples, i am not sure how it will look with the short hair, i may attempt to try short hair in april when i have my 'holidays'

hey bros could someone comment/suggest on the shampooing twice per day thing (in regards to my oily scalp)? It's really my key question here thanks, so so much

+ 2) What other shampoo when u alternate with nizoral?