Trying to be Proactive and Catch my Hair Loss Early

Nuclear So & So

Reaction score
Hi Everyone. 24 year old male here. I've always had a fairly high forehead, but over the last 1-1.5 years, I've noticed that the hair around my temples in the front/sides is starting to thin and recede. It's not too bad yet, but I am trying to get ahead of it early so it doesn't progress (and maybe I can get a bit of it back, yet). My hair otherwise is fairly thick, and I haven't had any problems with losing hair at the crown of my head yet.

I am looking for recommendations for a basic routine to get started with that could hopefully yield some results. Any comments or advice will be totally welcomed. Thanks!

These pictures are all recent as of the last month. I will dig around and look for some from a year or two ago for comparisons.
picture011.jpgpicture021.jpgpicture022.jpgpicture029.jpgpicture024.jpg

Abercrombie

Reaction score
Yes you do have recession and some thinning along the frontal hairline, but it's not too bad at the age of 24. Get on minoxidil and finasteride and you should be good for atleast a couple of years ahead.

Good luck!

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thats like NW3 territory I think.
Best way to catch it.
Get on Propecia quickly, I recommend 0.25g dosage a day. After a Month or two up the dosage to like 0.5g if you don't get any side effects, if you really want to get ground after that get on 1.0grams. Minoxidil for increased growth you'll have to take that stuff twice a day, in the morning and and night. Make sure to keep taking it!!

You could get see a lot of regrowth of these two after like 3 months.. hopefully your lucky and gain some terminal hairs with propecia. Nizoral is always good I think, take that stuff like only 3 times a week.

Or yeah I think a really important thing you should start taking, which most people don't is a zinc supplement. Just look up online for the best source of zinc in capsule form.

Once a day.

Nuclear So & So

Reaction score
Would it be pointless to start with only Minoxidil? I'd rather not need to bother with a prescription, and my budget is fairly limited in terms of paying for a whole array of products. I haven't read much about Nizoral, it looks like a shampoo. Anything else you can tell me about that?

SayifDoit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly Minoxdil is a short term solution to your hair loss issue, you could just not use minoxidil and get on propecia instead. But you won't see results as fast.
Propecia can restore ground and by being on lower dosage of only 0.25 it wont cost much, 1.00mg for best restoration. Saw palmetto is an alternative to propecia, very smiliar stuff and you can get that stuff prescription free and it will cost less I think.
Type it in on google. Read about the stuff, a lot of people don't believe it works and only accept the big three, but I strongly suggest you look into the stuff, amazon is your best bet .
Nizoral can be ignored.

Remember though the big three will give you quickest and best results: minoxidil, propecia and nizoral.

bob3

Reaction score
That looks like a Norwood 2 to me, maybe venturing past it a little bit. Either way, I've noticed most people our age (I'm also 24) have something similar going on, so it's hard to know whether it's going to progress quickly or not (some people just stop balding for a while). My approach was to jump on finasteride & nizoral. From my understanding, Minoxidil is mostly for regrowing hair, not keeping it. You have an age appropriate hairline, so wouldn't it make more sense to use a regimen designed to maintain first, then think about regrowing?

Also, children, broadripple is burning and the girls are gettin' sick.

BeardedOne

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, the best approach to stop your hair loss is to get on the Big 3 - finasteride, minoxidil 2x per day and a nizoral shampoo once or twice per week. You should easily be able to tolerate minoxidil and nizoral, normally the side effects if any are itchy scalp and / or dry skin. Finasteride is a different story, as it's a very powerful drug. It can reverse balding and regrow hair! Talk to your GP about it, educate yourself about the drug and ultimately the decision is yours. If you go for it then be patient, try to ride out any side effects you might feel (e.g. by reducing dosage), figure out whether you just think you feel side effects or whether you actually have them (this is very important! Everything related to libido and sensitivity in the genitalia is extremely psychosomatic), and try to switch off your worry function for at least 6 months.

If you want to see regrowth or at least maintain your hair, this is the best way. And it is so surprisingly low-maintenance.