trying to keep what i have..

im_on_a_boat

Reaction score
23 years old.. noticed thinning at 21. really started noticing when i first turned 22 and it has continually gotten worse and started on the temples about 6 months ago.

started kirkland minoxidil 5% on may 21, 2011 and have experienced pretty good shedding for the first month and some intense dandruff, but both symptoms have slowed and just waiting for results to happen.

worse comes to worst, i'll just shave it like my brother. just trying to preserve what i have left.

been thinking about getting on propecia but i've heard it's expensive and has side effects.

really just want to see if i can make this any better or just come to accept this crazy predicament. image is important in my field, plus my own self-esteem and both suffer at this hair loss.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    374.4 KB · Views: 260

im_on_a_boat

Reaction score
picture 5 months daily minoxidil and revita usage.. picture with minoxidil in wet.

Attachments

• IMG_6655.jpg
    IMG_6655.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 204

rwhairlosstalk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I see progress! Keep it up! Also keep taking pictures to make sure the spot in the back continues to close. Best wishes.

RedSoxHat

Reaction score
Wow, looking great man! So you're getting these results without any Propecia or generic finasteride?

im_on_a_boat

Reaction score
figured i'd update since it's almost been a year

good results from minoxidil but started seeing lots of thinning in temples.

old picture from about a year ago:

c5ecc560.jpg

before starting finasteride:

08b07daa.jpg

natural light about a month after starting finasteride:

6ae9d9f1.jpg

today (about 2 months into finasteride)

9266c7ce.jpg

seems like there is a longer duration of overall shed with starting finasteride... i thinned out extremely bad at the temples and sides of crown a couple weeks after starting..

check it out:

shed.jpg

it is slowly starting to fill back in overall..

no big side effects overall from finasteride.. actually feel like it increased my libido.. which was already very high.

i've had some depression/anxiety lately more than normal but lots of life changes are happening as well that definitely don't help. all part of getting my **** together and i will be better for it.

anyways definitely some good progress so far.

- - - Updated - - -

minoxidilandfinasteride1year.jpg

here's a before/after with about a year and a half progress..

know that the 'before' picture was with the full shed of minoxidil and my hair wasn't really THAT bad to start out with.. it's just the first picture that i have. looks pretty good.

MGZ

Established Member
Reaction score
Good stuff, got most your hair back. I would switch to dutasteride in another 6 months or so to try and get more back. Also maybe minoxidil 15% from minoxidilmax.com

im_on_a_boat

Reaction score
i definitely have mild seborrheic dermatitis so i have been using a fine-toothed comb and scraping my scalp at least a few times a week to get the scales off..

super ****ing gross i know, but it seems like it really has improved my scalp health and allowed for more hair to come back... im using ketaconazole and pyrithione zinc
head and shoulders, revita, and scraping with a comb.. hair does shed while scraping but its better than having a scaly head. humans are gross.

have it on my face too and have been using some topical cream i got from the dermatologist.