Turbo K's Story

TurboK

Reaction score
It's been a while since I tried to ask questions about Alopecia Universalis, because some of the groups I had been in kept trying to get me to say that this is the best thing that has ever happened to me, and I am so grateful for it.

I have suffered from Alopecia Areata most of my life. Then, a little over three years ago it developed into full-blown Alopecia Universaqlis. I used to get treated for the AA with the shots and a topical, but when it went to AU, the Dr. gave up, and told me to have a nice life.

In my case, I had a rather successful computer consulting company, a home, and a family. When the AU struck, I lost most of my clients, because they thought I was too freaky looking. I lost my family, because I "chose" to have this disease. Due to not being able to get steady work because of this disease, I am about to lose my house. I was living in North Carolina when it struck, and had to go to Wisconsin where people are more intelligent and have been doing better, but not as good as I can be if someone could cure me.

I have tried all the lotions and potions, to no avail. I was on Prednisone, but all it did was blow out my gut and cheeks. Also with the AU, there was onset of all these huge, gnarly soars on my arms, legs, and head. The Dermatologist I see has been trying to treat the soars with Doxycycline. It has worked a bit, but the soars keep popping up. They are not scaly patches, but rather just big holes that develop inn the skin. Almost like puncture wounds. I also have to wear something on my head when I go to bed, otherwise I wake up with a splitting headache. I also go through every day with the feeling that someone grabbed a fist full of hair and ripped it from my head. The Dermatologist said that she has other patients that have the same problems, so I would like to know how prevalent it is.

I cannot look at myself in the mirror without something on my head, otherwise I get a gag reflex. I had just gotten my motorcycle ready for the past spring, and cannot wear a helmet without ripping the skin on my head. I have a convertible, and have not been able to put the top down, running the risk of losing my cap and roasting my head. I was working on my van this past summer, lost my cap for about 2 minutes, and in that time my head blistered.

I just want to know how other people deal with being cast out of society because of this disease. I was asked to leave the church I was attending unless I acknowledge that this was a gift from God, and God gave me this disease because I prayed for it.