Two Weeks Post-Op

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
Today is day 14 post-op for me. So far, everything has gone routinely. A lot of questions and fears on here have come from my inexperience in the matter. Two days ago I returned to the doctors office for a check-up. Both he and the tech that inspected me said things looked great.

I was actually hoping they would remove my sutures, but they didn't. I have the dissolvable type and I guess they'll stay there until they're gone or I get tired of them and have them cut them out. The doctor said to look for them to be dissolved "within a few days," but two days later they don't seem to be going anywhere.

The doctor said his only concern was my skin. I get rather dry, irritable skin in the winter and he is concerned that thay may cause more trouble with in-grown hairs than normal.

He also advised me to start on Rogaine again, preferably the foam due to my dry scalp.

I can't wait for these sutures to absorb. I am going to trim my hair on the sides and back when they do.

Also, in just the past two days, I have really seen a lot of shedding of the grafted hairs, which I had noticed were already growing in length prior to the shed.

I guess I have ten more weeks to wait for the initial growth phase. I hope I'm happy! I really hope I'm happy in 5-6 months with much more hair!

If things go well, I'll look at some thickening, especially at the crown. If they don't I may have to and be really depressed about wasting $9000.

G

It sounds like your Doctor is in your area, and if so, not sure why they would want to use asorbable sutures. Did you ever ask him the reason? There is no way that those type of sutures dissolve in several days, try several months at best. They will dissolve with time.

I would also see a dermatologist regarding your scalp condition. If you have insurance, it should cover that.

Also sounds like your starting to shed the hair from the grafts.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
who did you go with?

dd11856

Established Member
Reaction score
If the sutures are not dissolved at 21 days, I am going to ask them to have them removed.

So, when will my donor scar begin to not look so pronounced? Its pretty pink and puffy right now, especially in the back. On the sides not that puffy, but very pink. No discomfort there however. Other than not stretching it, anything I can do it help it heal normally or reduce scarring?

As always thanks for all the help folks.

s.a.f

Reaction score
It all depends on your healing characteristics but it can take a very long time for the redness to fade.