Two years later, stilll not sure what to think??

hopetainted

Reaction score
Two years later, still not sure what to think??

I posted here back in May of 2011 about my perceived hair problem at the age of 22, I had just discovered what I thought was eerily thinning hair in places. I had just gotten my mane cut to about shoulder length at the time, the only difference is now my hair is back to being a mane again. I regularly took hair, skin, and nails vitamins from that point on for nearly a year and I seemed to perceive some improvement. However, it's hard to tell if it really was improvement, or just that my hair has grown a lot longer again. But I no longer seem to notice thinning on top of my head, or around the cowlick area. However, I still very much seem to have a thinning problem at the corners of the hairline. I can't tell if my hairline is receding, or if I've just developed a "matured" hairline. I would think you could still have decent looking bangs if your hairline was simply matured, but with me it's starting to look ugly where I part my hair.

I mentioned in my last post how male pattern baldness has never been a genetic factor in my family, and how I didn't know why this was happening to me (or if it was). Later that year in the fall my entire life went to hell, I started having a series of intense panic attacks, with no real explanation as to why. Shortly after, I developed chronic depersonalization symptoms as well as excessive fatigue which lead to a period of hypochondriasis and felt like I was going to die for many months. My anxiety was so high at times, I was bed ridden and developed several psychosomatic symptoms, like muscle spasms, and vision problems. My doctor diagnosed me as having active mononucleosis in my system in January of 2012, but I always felt like that wasn't the reason behind all of my suffering. I always sort of thought maybe I have Lyme's disease, though I have never had myself tested for Lyme yet.

I've also never been to a derma yet, which I'm sure you all think that's pretty retarded of me, but I have just never went yet. I'm thinking that possibly, whatever it is I've suffered through over the past year, could possibly explain hairloss too? Does Lyme's cause hairloss? I know that it causes just about everything else. Then there is the possibility that I have genuinely developed an anxiety disorder, high levels of stress are always said to contribute to hairloss. Maybe that could cause it? Even now as I type this, I still suffer from DP symptoms a lot, and there is a muscle in my leg that continues to spazz out constantly. I know something is wrong with my nervous system, I just don't know what. I've also felt very hopeless and depressed in the past months, and not over anything in particular it seems.

I might post some hairline pics later, and see what you guys think. To me it seems receded, but I have nothing to really compare it to that I can think of. All I know is that when I part my hair there should be enough coverage from the top of my hairline so that the skin of my forehead is not visible through "gaps" in the hair.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well sometimes it will slow down for awhile and thin it may kick in all of the sudden. No rhyme or reason :/

I know that's not too helpful but at the very least you can be thankful your hair made it another couple of years.

hopetainted

Reaction score
Well sometimes it will slow down for awhile and thin it may kick in all of the sudden. No rhyme or reason :/

I know that's not too helpful but at the very least you can be thankful your hair made it another couple of years.

Well I haven't noticed a lot of shedding. I was freaking out about shedding for a while last year, but honestly I think it's OK to loose 20-30 hairs a day. I believe that's normal. There's definitely been no increase in shedding. But my hair is just so thin, particularly at the front right side on my scalp, that you can often see through to my skin, or else there is a big "blank" patch between where my hair falls there.

The other day, I changed my part from this side to other, something I've not done pretty much ever. The hair that falls from the scalp on the left side of my face is not nearly as bad, no "blank" patch. Now, I've always heard that things like where your part lies has little if nothing to do with the growing habits of your hair. So I'm not really gonna blame the fact that the parts been there for years, I don't think it's a legit reason for the hair to thin out in that spot... I dunno what the hell to think. I figured all my hair would be basically gone in a few years, but here I am mostly still intact.

I live in envy of people with thick hair, and with hair who's texture is actually decent. My hair takes after my mothers texture, very fine with a wave and tendency to wire out like Einstein in some places and get oily as mechanical grease in others. Completely lacks body and it always has. When it gets dirty (24 hours) it looks like advanced male pattern baldness because it's so thin and stringy.