Ty's Story - (Age 18 and thinning)

TTTracer

Reaction score
My name is Ty and I am 18 years old. Ever since I can remember I have been made fun of for my big forehead, but I never really cared to much until now because my forehead is getting bigger. When I was 17 I was looking through some old pictures and found an old school pic and looked my hairline. So I looked in the mirror and looked at the pic and noticed the widows peak of my hair line had receded. Now a year later it has seemed to be slowly getting worse. I have always washed my hair. And from about 5th grade until now, I have jelled my hair about 3 days out of the week. When I wash my hair in the shower, I look at the shampoo in my hands and notice anywhere from 8 to 12 hairs in my hand. I know everyone looses and regrows hair all the time, but seen how I have a receding hairline, I know I’m loosing my hair. I stopped jelling my hair a few months ago to see if it would help, but it hasn’t. My grandfather on my moms side had nooo hair! And my dad and my dads father both have full heads of hair. I can’t believe I’m only 18 and this is already happening!!! I tried buzzing my hair down to a zero, but I look like crap. I love my hair and want to keep it!!! Unfortunately I do not have very much money, so I’m looking for an inexpensive treatment.

I truly appreciate all the help I can get. Thank you so much

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: I am 18 years old and losing my hair =[ help?

do you have family history of baldness?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: I am 18 years old and losing my hair =[ help?

then you might have male pattern baldness

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Ty,

Welcome to the forums. I started balding slowly at 18 too...but it wasn't bad till my mid-20s. I wasted so much time worrying about this and can understand your concerns (actually, I still spend too much time trying to stop my hair loss:), but I don't worry anywhere near as much as in my early 20s). Rogaine is very cheap and has helped me FYI.

Otherwise, hang in there, and the near future is very likely to bring better treatments and possibly even an end to balding via hair multiplication and/or hair cloning.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
having a positive attitude towards it while stay on proven treatments constantly are the key to success.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hello Ty and welcome :)

You can get hairloss treatments very cheaply if you know where to look :)

I would suggest you get a big bottle of Nizoral from your local pharmacy and use it in place of your normal shampoo every three days. That will work out vvv cheap and will help slow down your hairloss :)

If you have more money, I recommend you go to unitedpharmacies.com and buy a pack of 5mg Finasteride. You can split these pills into quarters and take a quarter every day. This is the equivalent of taking "Propecia".

If you still have money to spare, you should get some generic minoxidil lotion from ebay and drizzle it on your bald bits an hour before you go to bed. This can help the hair you've lost grow back.

I hope that helps you :) and whatever you decide to do, keep at it and don't expect things to happen overnight. Hair grows slowly and the treatments work more slowly still, but they DO work if you stick with em :)

God speed my man :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Foam is not that expensive. Come on guys, 50 bucks for 3 months supply, thats really acceptable.

stampede

Experienced Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
Foam is not that expensive. Come on guys, 50 bucks for 3 months supply, thats really acceptable.

It's acceptable to you and acceptable to me.

It may not, however, be acceptable to someone who's 18 and on a very limited budget. Hence I've suggested a regimen that will do the job as cheaply as possible :)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
$16 is reasonable to any 18 yrs old if he/she works more than 8 hrs a week. lol

tembo

Established Member
Reaction score
I get foam for $10 per month using Walgreen's coupons and $10 of coupon in many Rogaine packages you buy (or online at times).

RaginDemon

Reaction score
:punk:

TTTracer

Reaction score
Thank you guys so much! I truly appreciate all the help, and advice. There are sooo many different hair treatments out there and I had no clue which one actually works. I think I am going to start with the nizoral and see how that helps.

I would really like to get some minoxidil lotion to gain back the hair on the corners of my forehead like stampede said.and hopefully get some Finasteride to keep my hair.

Would you happened to know hoe much Finasteride and minoxidil cost??

And what is the foam you are talking about Ragin???

RaginDemon

Reaction score
:firing: