uk AV referendum

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
on the 5th may alongside a local election the uk is gong to vote.

i was going to call this thread a premature reminder to go to the polls and vote yes but i found this poll which will suggests that i am likely to encounter opposition

also i would like to ask any Aussies here if they would scrap their voting system for house of representatives in favor of putting an x next to only one candidate.... just in case your current system is too difficult for you?

HughJass

Reaction score
Nah I like preferential voting. I wouldn't want to change it. It's more representative than first past the post. On voting day the various parties stand at the polling booths and hand out their own how to vote cards which makes it easier for people who don't want to think about it too much- they're just a list of the candidates each party has decided will get their preferences in whichever order.

You don't have to do that when voting in the senate, you get the option of choosing your own candidates on preference or you just mark one box and then it's determined by the party. Obviously you won't have that problem because your government has saved you the trouble of not having to vote for the upper house- how kind of them!

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
Nah I like preferential voting. I wouldn't want to change it. It's more representative than first past the post. On voting day the various parties stand at the polling booths and hand out their own how to vote cards which makes it easier for people who don't want to think about it too much- they're just a list of the candidates each party has decided will get their preferences in whichever order.

You don't have to do that when voting in the senate, you get the option of choosing your own candidates on preference or you just mark one box and then it's determined by the party. Obviously you won't have that problem because your government has saved you the trouble of not having to vote for the upper house- how kind of them!
some patronising bastards over here in the no camp actually believe that IRV is too hard for our feeble little brains to understand
even worse they are blaming av for Australia introducing compulsory voting

yeah i thank them for that, and the undemocratic appointments of atrocities such as baroness warsi and lord ashcroft

also the no to av campain is just plain rediculus

[youtube:3pgdx62z]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-obZ9OG_XKA&start=170[/youtube:3pgdx62z]

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
The no campaign seems quite vitriolic to me.

It just sounds like the old guard scared of change.

I can't help but think the scaremongering and a backlash against Deputy Clegg have hindered the yes campaign.

Not a single new democracy created in the last 30 years has used the first past the post system

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Who is behind the AV campaign? It's hard to understand why someone would oppose it...it obviously produces a more democratic result most of the time and is hardly difficult to understand.

somone uk

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mulder said:
Who is behind the AV campaign? It's hard to understand why someone would oppose it...it obviously produces a more democratic result most of the time and is hardly difficult to understand.
tories, communists and fascists mainly

thet conservatives don't like it because a yes would be extremely detrimental to their party

the fascists don't like it because it almost completely eliminates the chances of any of them getting power

the communists want PR and believe a yes vote would stop people pushing for PR despite that being complete bollocks