Update on topical finasteride / caffeine / folligen

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
A bit of background on where I've been regarding with male pattern baldness:

I started noticing hair loss when I was 18, with an excessive amount of shedding when styling my hair and started minoxidil. It worked giving nice thickening, but my hair loss continued. I started finasteride when I was 19 and stayed on it for about 1.5 years, with good results.

Thinning was reduced to a trickle, but the side effects were horrible. Nut pain, gyno, and an effectively dead libido meant I had to quit. I switched to topical spironolactone. My hair shedded and thinned at an alarming rate, and it was obvious that spironolactone was ineffective.

6 months ago, I tried something a bit experimental. Topical finasteride and caffeine. I crushed a proscar tablet (5mg) and dissolved it into my minoxidil. I also dissolved 200mg of caffeine into the same solution. I also used folligen once a day. Side effects from the finasteride was virtually non-existent.

Over the last 6 months, shedding has stopped completely and hair line has stabilised. There is slight thickening but density (as in amount) of hair is still low. My hair is nowhere near what it was before I quit finasteride, but overall I'm happy!

I would recommend this treatment for those who have side effects with oral finasteride or as a rather cheap adjuvant to their current regime!

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
wow very interesting.
so one 5mg Proscar tabl is sufficient to add to minoxidil?
Has anyone thought of a finasteride shampoo?!!! Or would it not have a chance to be absorbed enough?

Fat-Elvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about switching to something like one avodart pill a week? It's a different drug, much lower dose than what most people take, but shoudl still be aroud as effective as propecia.

Rage

Established Member
Reaction score
JDW said:
wow very interesting.
so one 5mg Proscar tabl is sufficient to add to minoxidil?
Has anyone thought of a finasteride shampoo?!!! Or would it not have a chance to be absorbed enough?

Yeap, that's my dosage that I experimented with that gave no side effects. I don't think a finasteride shampoo would be useful though.. it'll be quite dangerous! You can't really control the dosage :0

Fat-Elvis said:
Have you thought about switching to something like one avodart pill a week? It's a different drug, much lower dose than what most people take, but shoudl still be aroud as effective as propecia.

I don't know if avodart will dissolve in the minoxidil since it is in a liquid gel form. It would probably be more effective but my current regime seems to be working well!