UPDATE - TheDude's story(6 months+ on finasteride/PICS/9-5-07)

TheDude

Reaction score
Well, after reading this site for the past few months I've finally decided to get myself a name and get going with my treatment. I don't have much of a story other then to thank alot of you guys for the help you give not only people who are registered posters but for people like me who lurk around for advice and information on how to attack the problem of male pattern baldness. Here are a few pics from the past few days of what I'm starting with.

Please understand I have very fine hair, but alot of fine hair. I have always been alert and paranoid about losing my hair. During my senior year of high school and during college my brother and parents thought I was nuts and assured me I wasn't losing anything(which I wasn't). I'm 24 now and am starting to recede a bit and thin a some at the crown. I want to get your guys' opnion on treatment and my current status. Like I said, I've always had fine hair so the picture where my hair is wet and pushed back to show my true hairline, the scalp shown has always been that way. But the crown of my head is starting to make me nervous as hell. I've been on Finasteride(Finpecia) for 8 days now, tried minoxidil for a few days but felt I was going overboard and it was annoying the hell out of me too, so I stopped. I'm obviously extremely concerned about shedding at the crown and temples in a few weeks or months due to the finasteride. So my main questions

1.) What Norwood scale would you consider me? My left side has always been thinner and lopsided/weaker then my right as seen in pics.

2.) I have been on finasteride for 8 days and Nizoral 1% for a week, should I ride that out for at least 6-8 months or also add minoxidil right away?

3.) Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just started L'oreal's vive for men, not bad, but nothing to write home about. I might switch back to my Redken thickness shampoo soon, that has always worked well for me and my fine hair.

6 months ago......
Left side dry, how I usually fix it for the day or night....
BlakeHair3.jpg

Right side dry.....
BlakeHair4.jpg

Top....
2007-02-08016.jpg

Top2..
2007-02-08015.jpg

Left side wet and pushed back.....
BlakeHair5.jpg

Right side wet and pushed back...
BlakeHair2.jpg

Here is this morning, the morning after the above pics were taken. This is right out of the shower, hair dried and fallen naturally.

BlakeHair6.jpg

NOW(9-5-07)

It's been about 6 months on finasteride and Nizoral. I would say I've forgotton to take the pill in the morning about 10-14 times. I assume and hope that's not that big of a deal. Here is just a simple shot of my left side and right side in the same exact location and light as the pictures over 6 months ago when I just started finasteride/nizoral. It's wet and pushed back. The hair length is just about the same, a tad shorter then the original pics. I've tried not to obsess too much about it. But I'm quite intrigued as to what this stuff can do. I've been somewhat negative about my hair but the pictures help calm me down. It's amazing what your eye tells your brain when you look for negatives, anyway, what do ya guys think? Oh, and the crown really hasn't changed much either. I'll post those pictures later.
Right Side....
HairRightSide.jpg

Left Side
HairLeftSide.jpg

G

Norwood 1.5 diffuse to the crown. If you look carefully in this pic:

2007-02-08016.jpg

you can see scalp near the middle left of the picture. you are starting to diffuse all throughout the top. fortunately you have caught it early.

barcafan

Reaction score
What's the status of male pattern baldness in your family? Is it very prevalent?

Anyways its a good idea that you've gotten on finasteride. you'll most likely be able to keep most if not all your hair for a while if you stay on treatment. Don't worry, you dont seem to look like you're losing hair at all to the average person

TheDude

Reaction score
JayMan said:
Norwood 1.5 diffuse to the crown. If you look carefully in this pic:

you can see scalp near the middle left of the picture. you are starting to diffuse all throughout the top. fortunately you have caught it early.

Yeah that's what I've been noticing, but it hasn't been too bad. And since my hair has always been fine it looks worse in the picture then it really is.

Barcafan, my grandfather on my mothers side has been bald since his late 20's early 30's. And from what I read that is what you mainly go by. My father is about a norwood 3 with a bald spot at age 57. It varies through person to person. My brother has thick black hair and is at about the same hairline as me.

Another concern I have is this finpecia I'm taking. First of all I have no problem popping a pill once a day even if I have to go through some side-effects. I probably am "with" my girlfriend 2-4 times per week so I obviously don't want that to be effected but if it does, so be it. Just wondering if it's worth switching in 3 months to a different type of finpecia. I haven't heard too many great things about it on on here. I also don't see many people using it.

BALD IS BEAUTIFUL

Established Member
Reaction score
Dude try the Rogaine foam instead of minoxidil.i am using finpecia and got very good result with it.as jayman told, you caught early on this. :D

TheDude

Reaction score
What is funny is this morning after I got out of the shower, I towel dried my hair, let the hair fall where it fell and took a couple more pictures. And it looks a ton better then the pictures I posted last night. Alot more coverage, looked thicker and healthier. I'll post the difference when I get home, maybe that's the L'Oreal vive starting to work :) I had been laying down a while before taking the pictures last night so my hair was smooshed and flat.

And as far as the Nizoral, I've used it twice and my scalp is less itchy already, feels a bit smoother, if that makes any sense. My dad has bad dandruff and I already have him starting Nizoral soon.

Baldis, when I was at Walgreens to buy my Nizoral and Vive shampoo, I literally stared at the foam for about 5 minutes contemplating whether or not to buy it. But I didn't because I just spent $50 on regular rogaine minoxidil 2 weeks ago but that is MESSY as hell. I might as well buy the single bottle of the foam and see how I like it as well as see if it's as nice as everyone says. But again, I'm scared of shedding, and I assume I'll shed like a mofo from foam and finasteride.

bababa

Established Member
Reaction score
Well done on catching it early...

No need for minoxidil at this stage... give the finasteride its full year, then make a decision. Stick to what your doing and you'll be great guns.

Peace

orenso

Reaction score
agree with Manutd4545 ...yout hair look full and thick when its dry...there is a slightly thining in the crown but nothin serious....
your hairline look great to me....
but if you feel that your hair getting thinner trust your instincts and give finasteride a chance for 1 year.....
generaly your hair look fine!!

(sorry english is not my native language)

RaginDemon

Reaction score
yeah your hair looks fine, finasteride is all you need right now.