Utvulcan1983's Story (Holy Crap) w/ Pics!!

utvulcan1983

Reaction score
Hey everyone...I'll make this one short and get to the pictures. I'm 25, recently single, working and applying to law schools in the fall. I've had pretty long, curly hair through college to the present day, I've worn it like that for almost 6 years, curly to just above ear-length.

Over the past year or so, I'd noticed a bit of a bald spot on the back of my head, pretty small but some people had made a few flip "hey, you've got a little bald spot" comments that brought it to my attention.

Anyhow, after breaking up with my girlfriend (long distance thing that just wasn't working) she said some pretty nasty things, specifically how I'll be totally bald in 10 years. I hadn't really thought about it until now, as things were pretty good and I didn't think about it. But after the breakup, I looked closely and it seemed as though my temples were thinning out and I decided to buzz my head with a # 3 clippers.

HOLY SH!T. From the pics, it looks like there's a spot of crown balding, receding and thinning temples, and a little "horseshoe" effect behind my front hairline. Like I'm developing that "island of hair" that some dudes get. Yikes.

Anyhow, I'm not on anything right now, but I think I'm immediately going to get on Rogaine Foam and nizoral shampoo, but the sexual sides and gyno-boobs of Propecia scare the hell outta me. Specifically, all the message boards devoted to the PERMENANCE of the sides on some men.

Here are the pics. Any response comment would be much appreciated. THANKS!

3-09Crown.jpg

3-09Front.jpg

3-09Left.jpg

3-09Right.jpg

3-09Top.jpg

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: utvulcan1983's story (Holy Crap) w/ Pics

First of all..mean b**ch lol. Secondly..dude i hate to break it to you but you have more than just a little blad spot. Thats pretty agressive looking. Your doing the right thing jumping on minoxidil and nizoral however i thin it would be beneficial to take some kind of finasteride. You really should hit the big 3.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

i agree the big 3 is what you should think about doing

utvulcan1983

Reaction score

Thanks to those who've responded. I bought Rogaine Foam and Nizoral shampoo today and will start using tonight.

I've read quite a bit about the "BIG 3" here and I have to say that Finasteride's side effects and possible long term implications are somewhat scary. I'm not counting it out, but BEYOND the possible sexual dysfunction and gyno-pecs...some of these things stood out for me:

From Merck's website:

"crushed or broken PROPECIA tablets because the active ingredient may cause abnormalities of a male baby's sex organs."

So I'd be putting something in my body that attacks testosterone and destroys the sex organs of male fetuses? I know I'm not a fetus, but yikes.

Also, the longest study conducted was with men who'd been on it for 5 years. I wonder what the cumulative effects on testosterone, prostate, sexual ability, and gyno-boobs over 10 years, or a lifetime, as this is essentially a lifetime commitment if you wanna keep the hair you grow. Swabbing something on my head twice a day is one thing, taking a pill like this for the rest of my life is another.

NOT SAYING I'M DISCOUNTING PROPECIA, JUST QUESTIONING RIGHT NOW.

Anybody been on finasteride for 10+ years? I'd really love to get your take on it.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score

Wheres flavio :jackit:

treeshrew

Experienced Member
Reaction score

girl does sound like a b**ch, break ups can be rough like that, give it time

and, sorry, but finasteride is the only real way to keep and thicken up your hair.

like you, i spent about 2-3 months reading all the horror stories before finally starting finasteride. i've been on it 1 year now (genuine propecia) and it completely stopped my hairloss and thickened up my hair.

fact is, a very, very small percent of people get any sides, and of those unlucky enough to get them, and even smaller fraction don't "return to normal" upon cessation of the drug.

call a local dermatologist, schedule an appointment, get a prescription. try it for a month at the recommended dose and see what happens. if you're still alive in 30 days, you're good to go.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

yeah bro only like 2% maybe less actually get side effects

i wouldn't be afraid of sides ........even IF they happen you can get off the stuff and they will go away

remember to be patient with your treatments .......

take baseline photos and then forget about you hair for like 6 months

then after 6 months take a look at your baseline pics and see your positive results

this is just my opinion only you can make the decision

fluffy123

Established Member
Reaction score

I think you’ve just got to balance out any possible negativity with what you really want. How much do you want possibly better hair? I made that decision after umming and erring for a couple of months regarding pro and decided that it was worth the risk (and took into account that if things went that badly, I could get off it and would just have to live with it). So far, been on it for just over 2 months and no side effects, I’m prepared for something to turn up but am in that mindset now of being ready for it and prepared to jump off if ness as I really want the possible positive results that might be available.