Valeous's Story - ( 21 / please help)

valeous

Reaction score
New to the forum. 21 years old. Here goes mine...

I would say that I noticed some thinning up on my scalp when I was 19 years old. My hair started to recede in the last few years and is now at its highest. I don't mind the hairline receding as much as I do my thinning hair. So basically my hair started thinning and now people can tell that I am losing hair. I don't lose hair like crazy in the shower or anything. Once in a while I will notice hair strands when I'm reading a book, or brushing my teeth, etc. My room's carpet however overtime gets a lot of hair on it. So I'm losing hair. I have a very tiny bald patch going as well. I started using a thickening shampoo for thinning hair but all that does is make your hair look frizzy so they cover more area and thus it doesn't show off your scalp. But if my hair are wet you can really see skin through my hair.

I'm at a loss as to why this is happening. Two of my maternal uncles have problems with hair loss. But the other two are fine. My father is fine and only has a receded hair line. 3 out of 4 of my brothers have hair loss problems of which 2 have somewhat more than the other.

I don't know have to tell you guys, but it really is a depressing feeling being reminded everyday by family, the mirror, and friends about the fact that I'm losing hair. I first couldn't come to terms with it and kept denying it and just thought that it's just a part of growing up. But now I've admitted that I do have a problem and the best thing I can do about is to do something about it. I used to have (still kinda do) amazing hair and girls still compliment my hair. But I will absolutely dread the day I become just a bald guy diffusing into the background (no offense).

I have bought a Rogaine bottle but am kinda scared to use any sort of chemicals on my hair and somehow lose the remaining hair I do have now.

So please help me; any advice I will appreciate greatly.

Cheers, thanks.

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
If you are really thining and loosing hair, time itself certainly wont help you. You should start a regime ASAP. Post pics so we can see how are you going. Consider taking finasteride. Keep track watching your hair and taking pictures.

raj47

Established Member
Reaction score
try to shave fully your head . so it prevent fall and thinng and the hair to breath ..when i was in 18 i used shave my head for every six month now i am in 22 and norwood 3..becarefull and take oral finasteride 1mg definite it will help you.

valeous

Reaction score
zb00st said:
If you are really thining and loosing hair, time itself certainly wont help you. You should start a regime ASAP. Post pics so we can see how are you going. Consider taking finasteride. Keep track watching your hair and taking pictures.

Should I not go see a dermatologist first?

zb00st

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, you can consult with dermatologist. It is good to do it first. I think he will give u prescription for finasteride...

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
valeous said:
zb00st said:

Should I not go see a dermatologist first?

Post some pics up of your hair so we can analyze it better.

I saw a derm and he gave me a prescription for finasteride. If the loss is really bad...the big 3 are your way to go...but we need to see the haid loss first.

valeous

Reaction score
zb00st said:

What is finasteride?

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
valeous said:
I used to have (still kinda do) amazing hair and girls still compliment my hair.

im not saying this as a dig, im doing it so your not stuck in denial and leave it too late. Your hair is not really amazing. i thought when you said that, that you would be at an early stage of hairloss but your pictures prove different. You should definately get on the big3 quickly. Your getting pretty thin to be honest and your photos arent even even in bright light.

minoxidil twice a day. buy yourself some finasteride whether it be generic or brand name. Pick up nizoral aswell. Get the 2%...personally i think its alot better.

Good luck man

valeous

Reaction score
I said I "used to" not "I do". Thanks for your help.

minoxidil and Nizoral? are they growth stimulants or hormone manipulators?

Nizoral is a shampoo - how effective is it?

And why is it that you suggest the two and not something else for my particular hair?

Do I have any other options?

iwantperfection

Experienced Member
Reaction score
valeous said:
I used to have (still kinda do) amazing hair and girls still compliment my hair.

Just to point put you said ..''(still kinda do)'' and you said ''girls still compliment my hair''.

thats some serious denial my friend. anyways..finasteride is to keep your hair from falling out and minoxidil is for regrowth. This is provided you respond to the drugs. not everyone does. Nizoral is a slight androgen blocker which will help fight hairloss and it also keeps the scalp healthy for good hair growth.

I recommended these meds or the big3 becasue they are proven to work. There are others meds and you will have to decide if you want to take those. But in simple terms these are the ones to go for to begin with.

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
He's pretty much dead on.

1. finasteride
2. minoxidil
3. Nizoral

Get on those and you'll see results...well...we can hope but the chances are really good that you'll see some kind of regrowth or at least maintenance of what you already have.

az

valeous

Reaction score
Thanks.

Can I get minoxidil and Nizoral at my local store or do I have to get it online somewhere?

valeous

Reaction score
So it has been about 5.5 months since I started using rogaine, and about 4 months since I started consuming Propecia and applying Nizoral.

My Propecia medication is ending. I was wondering what I should do now? should I renew my prescription? should I go see the derm? or what?

Thanks

valeous

Reaction score
What are some side effects of Finasteride?

I'm afraid of being impotent or sterile as a result of it.

AssignmentZero

Established Member
Reaction score
finfighter said:
valeous said:
What are some side effects of Finasteride?

I'm afraid of being impotent or sterile as a result of it.

According to the FDA, Only 2% of Finasteride users experianced side effects from the drug, and the side effects experianced subsided after the drug was discontinued. I have been on this stuff for a year with no problems, I thought that I had a few side effects the first month but they went away, it was probably in my head.

I've been on finasteride for 3 years and I have no sides. As he mentioned, the first month I was all paranoid about it and thought that I had sides, but I didn't. Don't let it get to your head. Try it out.