vanheldan's story - (22,advice needed!)

vanheldan

Reaction score
Hi,
here's abit about myself:

At 18 i was prescribed Minocycline for my acne which i responeded well too, but a side effect of this was hairloss. Within the 6 week period i was on this, i was losing an alarming amount of hair. 4 years on, I'm thin on top and my acne is still bad :(

My initial hairloss i can put down to the medication, but over the last year i've lost more hair and decided to just pretty much shave it off - for someone who used to have shoulder length hair, THIS WAS HARD (btw, i look awful with buzzed hair - don't have the head shape for it).

The thing is, my barber mentioned to me that where it looks likes i've got a bald patch, there are actually hairs there - althought be it very fine and short. They just don't seem to want to grow to the the length of the others. If these hairs were to grow, my hair would just seem alot thicker.

i just basically wanted to know what you guys would recommend. I'd really appreciate any comments.

Also, i've read alot nw1, nw2, nw3 hairloss...etc...i don't really know what i am, could you tell me where i could get more info.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Re: Newbie...advice needed!

Most acne treatments have hair loss as a side affect, but its only a temporary thing and will recover when u stop taking the medication (i tried various acne medication the strongest being Roacutaine)... plus its usually just a general increase of overall hair shedding, not bald patches, i would just say that you have male pattern baldness....
Where is your thin patch? and do you have n e pics? then we can say for sure.
Best thing to do is get on minoxidil, finesteride and nizoral.... if you are lucky those short fine hairs will grow back.

vanheldan

Reaction score
Re: Newbie...advice needed!...(with pics)

here's a couple of pics. what Norwood# do you think i am?

i'm pretty much scared that using rogaine will make me lose the hair i have left, but at the same time, i'm pretty sure its the only thing that can help me regrow those small hairs.

the only thing i'm doing for my hair is massaging almond oil daily on my scalp. I'm also going to try MSM and vit. C

Attachments

• DSC00219.JPG
    DSC00219.JPG
    241.2 KB · Views: 215
  • DSC00202.JPG
    DSC00202.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 182

billynohair

Reaction score

If your hairloss is not male pattern baldness (Male pattern Baldness) then it will grow back on its OWN. Do not use any drugs unless you are sure its male pattern baldness, MSM will speed the rate in which you hair grows, for me it did for sure! Vitamin C apparently helps MSM work its magic.

Thats my advice..

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

is your hair thick at the back and sides?

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

ok so you are a thinner like me... if you have thick hair side and back then you hair loss pattern is just like mine and it will get worse...

get on the big 3 and you will thank me later...

oh and the almond oil is gonna do jack sh*t ( ive been through that and it does not do anything)

vanheldan

Reaction score

mj9 said:
ok so you are a thinner like me... if you have thick hair side and back then you hair loss pattern is just like mine and it will get worse...

get on the big 3 and you will thank me later...

oh and the almond oil is gonna do jack s*** ( ive been through that and it does not do anything)

at the moment i'm giving rogaine some serious thought and think that if i take anything, it will be that and zizoral (though, when i last used nizoral i saw an increase in shedding).

Don't think i'll be starting finasteride yet...the side effects tend to freak me out...which, i know many have gone thorugh and state it's really not too bad and you soon get over them, but at the moment, i'm not willing to risk it.

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
vanheldan said:
Could someone tell me what number they think i am on the Norwood scale?

Thank you!

you are heading towards a 6/7...

thats the problem with diffuse thinning... when i started thinning, my hairline was perfect and even a 4 months ago it was not bad but had started thinning... this is when i realised that i would end up a norwood 6/7 within months if my hairline thinned anymore because i started thinning from the vertex....

mj9

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
norwood scale is not that great as it does not have a number for people who lose hair at the vertex and have a perfect hairline.....