VikingHair's Story (20 & Going Bald, Questions, Help nee

VikingHair

Reaction score
Hello

This took a lot for me to register on here, but I hope that someone out there can answer some of my questions and help me.

To start with, I have a thinning hairline in the front and a bald spot on the back of my head. I would closely be rated about a 3V on the Norwood scale. I'm also 20 years old and this is having a major effect on my life. I recently tried using Rogaine Foam, but I stopped using it as it caused my head to itch and scratch and just was an overall mess on my scalp.

I am considering asking for a prescription for Propecia/Proscar; however I’m concerned about the side effects that I keep on hearing about, especially the sexual ones considering I’m only 20.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do? My main concern about that is that in the middle of August I’m moving across the country to start a new job in customer service, a very visible position and I’m concerned about shedding right as I get there or as soon as I start the job and just not making a good impression. Just how severe is shedding??

I am also considering starting Nizoral Shampoo; will it do any good if I’m using it without any other treatments?

A little family history, My Father is completely bald and went bald after getting a severe cold during his 20s; in addition his brother is bald as was his father. In addition, on my mother's side, both her brothers are bald as was her father, so genetics tells me that this won't get better on its own.

Also, anyone who is young and experiencing hair loss do you have any advice? This is starting to take a real toll on my life. It really all started when I meet an old friend after about three years and the first thing they commented about was me going bald. Ever since I’ve been really self-conscious about going out in public and have started wearing hats everywhere.

I have attached a couple of photos of my scalp for you to see. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, all I have is a Camera Phone and it’s hard to angle it just right to take a picture of my head.

Sorry for so many questions and concerns, this is all very new and scary for me, any advice/support, answers would be greatly appreciated.

Shot at 2007-07-11

Shot at 2007-07-11

G

Hmm, well, to be honest, I think you should consider shaving, I shaved and am pleased with it. If you're that bad at twenty, then I doubt treatments will do much considering how aggressive yours is, but you could give finasteride, minoxidil, and Nizoral a shot. I'm 21 and balding, so I feel for ya, but shaving really did help my self esteem, and there's some research floating around that woman like shaved heads... So... Up to you.

Oh, and an edit, try Apple Vinegar or Folligen/Tricomin (both are similar) to help the itching with minoxidil, I'd at least get on minoxidil if I were you. As for the finasteride sides, I took it for 12 days and stopped because my dick felt so weird, might not happen to you, but there is a chance. Basically it boils down to how far do you want to go to treat hairloss. Don't let the finasteride zombies tell you nothing else helps though, there are topicals that work. Sprio cream, and Revivogen are two that come to mind. Check them out if you don't want sides, well, spironolactone has a small chance for sides, so I hear.

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne

Established Member
Reaction score
How come spironolactone and minoxidil are not mentioned in your regimen? If you are using them, what do you think of them? I'm on both of them myself.

VikingHair

Reaction score
Hey,

Sir Guy of Frizzbourne, I tried Rogaine (minoxidil) but it was too itchy on my scalp. I'm not exactly sure what spironolactone is but Rogaine is all i've used, all i've been told by people is too just deal with it which is honestly kinda really hurting me and my self esteem.

Davenman86, I have tried shaving once before but it didn't turn out so well in fact I felt even more self aware with a bald head, but everyone agrees that it does not look as bad with very short hair. Is there any evidence that regular rogaine and not the foam will itch less or do they both itch about the same?

G

Viking Hair,

get on Finasteride (Proscar/Propecia or generics)!

The shedding on finasteride is rare, I didn´t notice any increased shedding. Even if it appears it wouldn´t make any noticeable difference!

About the sides: Just try it, if you can´t tolerate it: Stop it!

But you need to act, you would regret it in the future if you didn´t.

Good Luck, mate!

P.S.:

maybe try Rogaine foam? Many people tolerate if much better than regular minoxidil!

VikingHair

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm getting an appointment ASAP to get a perscrip, and i'm also going to start Nizoral Shampoo.

I tried using Rogaine Foam but found it made my scalp itch very bad so i'm hesistant to try it again.

Starscream

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Go on the big three, they are the only products that can really help you.
Don' t hesitate, minoxidil often causes shedding at first. Finasteride side effects are reversible so you can always go back, but try the big 3.
I think you will be completely bald in a few years if you don' t do anything. Good luck.

muaythai187

Established Member
Reaction score
Daveman86 I know how you feel about hearing side effects on propecia because I got a prescription of propecia 7 months ago and finally took my pill 4 days ago. As a professional athelete I was hesistant what it was going to do my body but hairloss got me really depressed and I figure people who had great success with propecia would barely go on hairloss forums and talk about their success with propecia. You can always stop if its giving side effects and just like the other user says its reversible. There are also different methods on hairgrowth ,it just happen that propecia and minoxidil are two that are most successful. Well goodluck and hope everything works.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
your crown seems acceptable while your front needs treatments immediately.

GL man

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
the big 3 might not even be enough. maybe you just think on getting also some spironolactone or other stuff

G

VikingHair said:
Thanks, I'm getting an appointment ASAP to get a perscrip, and i'm also going to start Nizoral Shampoo.

I tried using Rogaine Foam but found it made my scalp itch very bad so i'm hesistant to try it again.

You don´t need a perscrip if you order from an online pharmacy!

VikingHair

Reaction score
Hey, Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm getting a prescript because I checked and I can get Propecia for only $15 with my insurance. Is my situation really as bad as everyone is making it out to be?

I have three questions:

1, what is Scipro that everyone keeps on mentioning?

2, will just using Propecia and Nizoral work as a treatment? Minoxidil caused excessive itching on my scalp after only one treatment.

3, Does regular Rogaine itch less than the foam version?

JDW

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe persevere with the rogaine mate as it's the only way you're going to make a big impact on your situation I feel. Check out skyline gtr's results from the success forum to see what can be acheived! don't give up and give it all you've got.,

G

VikingHair said:
Is my situation really as bad as everyone is making it out to be?

Well, the frontal loss is dramatic for a 20 years old imo. But it basically depends on how you are feeling about it.

I have three questions:

2, will just using Propecia and Nizoral work as a treatment? Minoxidil caused excessive itching on my scalp after only one treatment.

1. A topical DHT inhibitor

2. Yes, works fine. Though the nizoral might itch as well. I don´t use it because of that. Beware!

3. No, regular one itches more!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
VikingHair said:
Hey, Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm getting a prescript because I checked and I can get Propecia for only $15 with my insurance. Is my situation really as bad as everyone is making it out to be?

I have three questions:

1. The frontal loss is pretty serious, the crown is still acceptable.
2. Yes, Propecia and nizoral will work good together.
3. Nope. Many have great experiences with foam so far.

VikingHair

Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. On friday I am going to my doctor and picking up a perscription for Propecia so I will be starting that and Nizoral on friday.

Two more questions,
can you pick up Scipro at all pharmacy or do you need to special order it?

do you use nizoral as just a regular shampoo? i.e. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it! :lol: I actually feel like I have some hope now.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
VikingHair said:
Thanks for all the advice. On friday I am going to my doctor and picking up a perscription for Propecia so I will be starting that and Nizoral on friday.

Two more questions,
can you pick up Scipro at all pharmacy or do you need to special order it?

do you use nizoral as just a regular shampoo? i.e. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it! :lol: I actually feel like I have some hope now.

You use nizoral the same way you use your regular shampoo except that you should leave it on your head for 3-5 mins.