Vikings1234's Story - ( 26/ propecia only) -1 year update

vikings1234

Reaction score
Re: Just another guy losing his hair (propecia, nizoral only)

since shaving my head in a couple days the red bumps/pimples have gone away drastically. Still faintly there, but clearly my scalp was oily or something and the shave and no hair product has begun to clear it up. What this means for my hair loss is probably nothing. Maybe I will buzz it every few months just to "clean" lol

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score

vikings1234 said:
I will update every month or 2. I am not going to take rogaine. I just can't see myself applying it twice a day, maybe someone can talk me out of that, or maybe I will add that after a full year on propecia

I was using Rogaine twice a day from age 19ish to 23ish. It sucked. I was very social and would not be able to anticipate when friends or women would touch my head and they would get a slimy sticky feeling on their hand. On nights when I knew for sure that I would go on a date, I wouldn't wear the Rogaine.

I put up a good fight with Rogaine during those years though and overall I am glad I did. I threw in the towel recently and started shaving. From my perspective it really is true when they say that if you stop your Rogaine regimen, you will lose everything you have been maintaining.

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Just another guy losing his hair

vikings1234 said:
Today I shaved my head.

Some of your reaction to your shaved head is shock. If you get a tan and get used to it, you might not look all that bad. I am pretty used to my appearance at this point. Are you going to post shaved head pics?

vikings1234 said:
As for propecia and side effects. I read so much bad stuff about it , and so many what seemed like just made up stuff. I am not one to get too crazy about it. You just jump in and see where you land.

I used Propecia for a few months. I had a lower libido and it affected my performance. There is the chance that it was the placebo effect. I am not against Propecia. A doctor once told me that when men stick to Propecia for a year or so, the sexual side effects end up going away. If it isn't hurting your performance, then more power to you!

vikings1234

Reaction score

thanks for stopping in sand

I should clarify the second pic is what I meant by shaved, now I realize that is a bad term to use on a balding forum. I really buzzed it to a 1/4 inch. which for me is shaved :)

It has already grown real fast in 2 days that is the thing about my hair it grows wicked fast except where it is thinning in the crown obviously lolol

Yeah my best friend is on rogaine propecia. From your pics(and your head looks perfect for the clean shave btw have you considered facial hair, it goes very far style wise. There is a lot to do and my friends that shave completly use it very well. I have grown mine out and it really draws away from a buzz cut so it will do wonders for a clean shave.) he has similar to you. He has maintained pretty well but he is really fighting a battle. He told me I am lucky the way my thinning is kicking in and thinks propecia will do be real well in a year +

He goes through some crazy sheds and attributes it to the rogaine. I just can't see myself dealing with that and the applying. I am way to laid back and tend to not even know where I am spending my nights a lot of the time. I have been an avid reader of baldingblog and from what I can tell Dr ramssan has seen very mixed results and then it just becomes something else you have to continue to do. By mixed results it seems a lot of people show great progress and then it tapers very fast on the rogaine.

As for about 6 or 7 weeks propecia is just like popping my multivitamins or drinking my proetin shakes, you just don't notice it. Has not effected my sex life so its all good here

sandovalusa

Established Member
Reaction score

vikings1234 said:
I should clarify the second pic is what I meant by shaved, now I realize that is a bad term to use on a balding forum. I really buzzed it to a 1/4 inch. which for me is shaved :)

Gotcha. A friend of mine keeps telling me he "shaved his head" and he uses the terminology the same as you do. Once you take a blade to your scalp, the phrase has a whole new meaning!

vikings1234 said:
Yeah my best friend is on rogaine propecia. From your pics(and your head looks perfect for the clean shave btw have you considered facial hair, it goes very far style wise. There is a lot to do and my friends that shave completly use it very well.

Thanks. Yea I have a well groomed beard right now. I like it a lot and I got a compliment on it earlier today. I also wear earrings sometimes but I don't want to over accessorize and make it obvious I'm compensating for something.

vikings1234 said:
I am way to laid back and tend to not even know where I am spending my nights a lot of the time.

That's the problem with Rogaine. It is just one more thing to carry around with you. I was living a spontaneous college lifestyle while using it. I found myself skipping applications a lot, but I did the best I could.

vikings1234

Reaction score
Re: Vikings1234's Story - ( 26/ propecia, nizoral only)

I just wanted to do an update although I am not going to be doing pictures or updating (maybe in 6 months or something) just cause I frankly am to lazy.

Reason for update.

finasteride for 2 months ZERO side effects now. Like I said first couple weeks a slight spike in libido , slight decrease the next week and then it has leveled out since. I don't even think about it I pop my pill same time I pop vitamins that I have taken forever.

Hair had stopped shedding, then some slight sheds(but those hairs look very poor anyway ). Overall the quality feels better even at month 2 month mark. Shaving my head was the best thing I did, I am starting to like it shorter anyway. I still use dermmatch and that product is the best it takes me literally 2 mins to put on(put on a little on vertex) and never comes off in any kind of water/sweating.

The real reason for posting is for my scalp acne/bumps. I tried so many shampoos/conditioners. Went to a dermatologist who gave me a topical steroid. Did not use it after doing research and the advantages did not outweigh the disadvantages. Finally what seems to keep them at bay(I will update this again in a month), is using the cheapest of all the products I bought(go figure). I use organix tea tree followed by organix coconut conditioner(leave that on for about 3-5 mins). This has cooled my scalp. All the others just sucked for my scalp. I do not use nizoral anymore I don't react well with it. So just finasteride for life for me.

vikings1234

Reaction score
Re: Vikings1234's Story - ( 26/ propecia, nizoral only)

4 months on propecia and using a coal tar shampoo has both got ride of my pimples on scalp. My hair has never felt healthier and I am very very optimistic for a year from now

I also quit dairy nearly 100% as I believe I have a food allergy past being lactose intolerant. As when I quit for a week my pimples went away and then I ate some dairy and they were back the next day. Too coincidental I think, maybe not but whatever. Been pimple free for over 6 weeks.

Photo one from start of propecia about 2 weeks after, and this is one from today 4 months later. Not a huge difference but I can feel and see it. My hair was feeling brittle and very weird 4 months ago (and a year prior when i started to shed). Note my hair is also 1/2 inch shorter in the newest picture and also naturally sticks up(spikey like plus I style that way) so I think it looks worse when light hits since it doesn't lay flat lol.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 231
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 195

ivangennaro

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vikings1234's Story - ( 26/ propecia only) -4months update

The lighting is difference but there are clear improvements on the front. I'm sure it'll be better when you hit the 1 year mark.

vikings1234

Reaction score
Re: Vikings1234's Story ( 26/propecia only) -5 months update

here is 5 months

just cut hair and its spiked up 3/4 inch cut 1/2 inch sides back

Attachments

• photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 211

KP211

Established Member
Reaction score

thats a pretty dramatic difference are you just using propecia

vikings1234

Reaction score

KP211 said:
thats a pretty dramatic difference are you just using propecia

yeah my hair quality has felt so much better for a few months now. Literally felt like a brittle crunchy mess before I started propecia.

Other changes are no dairy(see posts about scalp acne).

Looking fwd to 2 years from now

Hope you are doing well

irishpride86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Any shedding phase with propecia ? Or just slowness and thickening ?

vikings1234

Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
Any shedding phase with propecia ? Or just slowness and thickening ?

yeah the initial month there was a shed

Then around the 3 month mark there was a shed, but after that one it was almost like instantly my hair felt better not really a noticeable shed as opposed to small hairs.

The itch and all that was gone about month one or 2 which I always felt if I can keep the scalp pimples gone and itch that its probably working. Of course you have the odd day here and there that might feel like a shed or itch or worse and you can work yourself up