Vinyard's Story - (18)

Vinyard

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an 18 year old kid from Sweden suffering from male pattern baldness. It sucks, especially at my age. I believe I started losing my hair when I was 16 years old but I didn't notice it until I was 17 - 17.5. I was a NW2 by this time. Pretty f*****g sick right? When I was 16 years I also noticed that I would lose a lot of hair in the shower but I guess I didn't care about it. Now the shedding is one of the toughest thing to go through today. Sigh. Anyway. I don't mind being a NW2 as long as it stays the same until I'm like 40 - 50 but that will never happen. I don't use any meds right now but I'm considering starting with The Big 3. Right now I'm just maintaining the hair I still have by massaging olive oil in the scalp and stuff like that.

The funny thing is... I'm not only suffering from male pattern baldness but also a rather nasty body odor. I literally smell like crap and that's no exaggeration either. People sometimes wonder if I farted and my friends have also commented about my smell. This is not a joke. It's called Fecal Body Odor and a lot people have this problem. More than you can think of. Anyway... my fecal body odor started exactly the same time as my hair loss. I don't know if it has any connection but it's possible. I still have the body odor. I once tried Panto-3 and the pills are supposed to force blood to your scalp. You're supposed to get a tingling/burning feeling in your head while taking the pills and your face is supposed get a redish hue but I didn't feel anything while taking the pills. Now... I don't know why the f*** the pills didn't work for me. It works for most people. It could be because of my body odor though. Maybe my body odor stops the blood flow to my scalp. It's a possibility.

I lose at least 50 hairs whenever I take a shower. It's crazy how much I shed during a shower. People don't comment about my hairloss because I cover it up pretty good but my family knows about it obviously. My dad and my brother both started losing their hair around the age of 21 - 22 and here I am... a stupid worthless kid losing his hair at the age of 16. Again... this premature hairloss could be caused by my body odor. Pretty depressing. I hate to say it but I think I'm heading for a NW3. I hope to at least stop the hair loss and I'll be satisfied. I probably have 1.5 square inches of bald spots on both sides and what's funny is that my hair is still there. It's almost impossible to spot but when I touch the bald spot very gently I can feel very small thin hairs. Around a tenth of an inch and my hairline also has thin small hairs but they are around a third of an inch. This is making me angry. GROW THE f*** OUT YOU SONS OF b****s! Sorry for cursing but it's making me angry.

Here's a couple of pictures of my hair. Sorry for the bad quality but I only have a camcorder so I captured some images of the videos. Bad lightning so the quality sucks.

http://img401.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=36765378.jpg

Now... I believe I'm a NW2, maybe a little bit more and I believe that I will be a NW3 when I'm 19. I'm trying my best to halt the hairloss by doing some home remedies but I guess it's not working. My hairline has been pretty much the same for the last 6 months but now I start to notice a little more receding hair line. What do you think I should do? As I said... I have some very small hairs on my bald spot so maybe it's not too late to grow them out? What meds do you think I should start with? Finasteride sounds promising and I might go for that one but I have no idea if I can just go to the pharmacy and buy it over the counter. I live in Sweden so maybe you need a prescription here. The Big 3 might work for me or what do you think? I will also do scalp massage, drink 10 glasses of water each day, exercise, eat healthy, rub garlic juice and apply olive oil on my scalp and I will also try fingernail rubbing.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Vinyard's Story - 18 YO.

I see a mature hairline, NW2. No more, no less. Hard to tell if there's any thinning in the temples in those photos.

Right now you have a completely normal hairline. If you're absolutely positive that you're thinning then get on the meds, finasteride (prescription, the most important one), minoxidil (growth stimulant, over the counter), and a ketoconazole (1% or 2%) shampoo.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

IUbball22 said:
shwooo, i can smell you over the internet....stop rubbing garlic juice on youself

This. Don't believe anything you've heard. Nothing will work except finasteride and minoxidil.

Vinyard

Reaction score

Thanks for the replies. Well... I'm definitely thinning and my hairline has receded a lot since I was 16. I want to start with Finasteride because I truly believe it will stop the shedding and the hair loss from getting worse. Hopefully I will even see some regrowth. I will definitely update this thread if I see some results. And if I'm lucky enough to get to NW1 I will never stop using Finasteride no matter what it costs.
And the garlic is not a problem. That's not what causes the smell. I use it twice a week and shower it off every morning before I go to school. I have a fecal body odor so the garlic has nothing to do with it. I shower my body until I'm completely clean and I apply deodorant and some perfume but the odor is still there and it smells awful. You can imagine how it is sitting in class next to my classmates stinking down the entire room. But that's not what I'm here for. I want to stop my hairloss.

So I need a prescription to buy Finasteride. Darn! Don't know how this sh*t works to be honest. So I go to the hospital and find a find myself a doctor and he will examine my bald head and give me prescription for Finasteride. Sigh. So much trouble. I just hope it's worth it.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score

Finasteride might be all you need. I'd start with it and as long as you don't start receding horribly in the next year, you should see some thickening of the hairline and crown and feel a whole lot better about your hair situation.

Start with 1mg (or 1.25mg if you get the 5mg pills, cut them in 1/4ths) and go from there. You should be fine. If you have any side effects just reduce the doseage.

Feel glad you'll probably be able to save your hair and that you're getting on top of things before you lose more. Might even regrow a good bit or all.

sadscalp

Established Member
Reaction score

Vinyard said:
Thanks for the replies. Well... I'm definitely thinning and my hairline has receded a lot since I was 16. I want to start with Finasteride because I truly believe it will stop the shedding and the hair loss from getting worse. Hopefully I will even see some regrowth. I will definitely update this thread if I see some results. And if I'm lucky enough to get to NW1 I will never stop using Finasteride no matter what it costs.
And the garlic is not a problem. That's not what causes the smell. I use it twice a week and shower it off every morning before I go to school. I have a fecal body odor so the garlic has nothing to do with it. I shower my body until I'm completely clean and I apply deodorant and some perfume but the odor is still there and it smells awful. You can imagine how it is sitting in class next to my classmates stinking down the entire room. But that's not what I'm here for. I want to stop my hairloss.

So I need a prescription to buy Finasteride. Darn! Don't know how this sh*t works to be honest. So I go to the hospital and find a find myself a doctor and he will examine my bald head and give me prescription for Finasteride. Sigh. So much trouble. I just hope it's worth it.

Thing is though, just about everyone recedes somewhat during puberty. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're losing their hair, it usually means that they're developing a mature (adult) hairline.

You should be very sure that you're losing your hair before starting any drugs. Right now your hairline looks normal to me. A NW2 is a normal adult hairline.

Vinyard

Reaction score
I'm turning 18 years in two weeks so I guess I have to wait a while before I go to see a doctor. I recently watched a movie I made with my friend when I was 16 and a half years old and in the movie I had my hair pulled back. I could clearly see that my hairline was between NW1 and NW1.5 and I could also clearly see that some of the hair was thinning. 1.5 years later I'm almost 18 years old and my hairline is at least a NW2. The hairline looks a little worse in real life than it does in the pictures I uploaded. It's definitely a NW2 and I think it's getting worse because I have noticed that my hair line is creeping back and I can clearly see less density. In two weeks when I turn 18 I will get a doctor and he will most likely confirm male pattern baldness and hopefully he will prescribe me with Finasteride/Propecia. Is it the same med? Because I believe it is only with different names.

Anyway. I will take some high resolution pictures right before my treatment and I will give you a monthly update. I feel pretty confident that my lost hairline will return, perhaps back to NW1 or NW1.5. I would also like more density overall and less shedding. That would be great! Wish me luck!