virtua_s story - (25 years old - Incl. pics with regrowth?)

virtua_

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been a lurker here for almost a year, but decided to post my story now!

Thinking back, I started getting a widows peak already at age 15. At that point I just assumed I had always had one, but I remember my mother commenting on it, although she didn't believe it to be hair loss either.

In retrospect, I'm quite sure that's when it started... I started puberty at around 11, so I guess that was a contributor to my early hair loss, I became full grown much earlier than other boys.

I'm 25 years old now, but about 2 years ago, someone made a comment about me losing my hair. I hadn't actually check my crown in a mirror or anything before then, and I assumed they were talking about my temples, which had receded slowly but surely since the age of 15. However, when I did use a mirror to see the back of my crown, I saw some definite thinning...

After about half a year (winter 2006) I started using Nisim shampoo and extract. I did this for 3-4 months, at which point I for some reason stopped.

Around November 2006 I realized that my hair loss was getting even worse, and started reading up and finding out about stuff. I started Nisim (shampoo and extract) again in December 2006, and also had a short period where I used Toppik hair fibres to cover up my crown.

I have kept using Nisim products, and in March 2007 I added Revita, which I use 5 times a week (pre-wash with Nisim shampoo, and keep Revita on for 5 minutes). Revita gave me a shed when I first started using it, but now I'm sure it has helped me maintain and even regrow some hair, as my scalp has become used to it.

Late August 2007 I added Revivogen and Dermenodex Thinning Hair Scalp Treatment (with 3% Adenosine).

This is my current regimen:

Morning

• - Pre-wash with Nisim shampoo twice
    - Shampoo with Revita for 5 minutes (5 times a week)
    - Shamoo with T/Gel Greasy hair (2 times a week)

- Apply Dermenodex Thinning Scalp Treatment
    - Apply Nisim Extract

- Style with either Min New York paste or Kerte (Nisim) styling gel

- Take 2 pills of Apply Poly

Early evening

• - Usually wash my hair to get rid of styling products with Nisim shampoo

- Apply Revivogen

1-2 hours later

• - Apply Dermenodex Thinning Scalp Treament

Lastly, here is a picture from March 2007 with semi wet hair where I've tried to pull all hair to the side to show maximum scalp:

And here is a picture from October 2007 also with semi wet hair (perhaps a tad drier than in the pic above) where I've tried to pull all hair to the sides to show maximum scalp:

I feel there has been some definite thickening of the crown, and I'm definitely seeing regrowth (although slow) at my temples, where I'm quite sure there hasn't been hair for years! I have some pics, but will wait a bit until the regrowth is more visible in pictures. It's black and getting longer, so that's nice! :)

- Any comments would be great! Please notice I don't want to use finasteride, and I don't want to use minoxidil as I've read any hair grown with minoxidil is dependent upon it. I hope to get my hair back to where it once was (at least filling on the crown), and then hopefully being able to maintain using only Nisim shampoo, Revita shampoo and Nisim extract every other day or so.

If anyone are curious, I attribute my regrowth to Revita and Nisim, which I feel have worked great together. I feel it's too soon to pass judgement on Revivogen and Dermenodex, but I'm hopeful they will speed up and further the regrowth process.

ps1freak

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: virtua_s story - 25 years old - Incl. pics with regrowth(??)

i think you def had some regrowth back there. Not a lot, but def some.

Why no propecia? It's just a pill a day and yeah u will be dependent on it but just as dependent as u are with the rest of your current regime.

virtua_

Reaction score

I don't really want to use finasteride because of the potential sexual side effects.

DHT is, as far as I've read, important to other bodily functions (such as penile size), so I don't feel removing DHT from the entire body is the answer to fix the problems with my hair. I have the feeling DHT does play another role than just being the bad hormone making you lose your hair.

bustabucket

Established Member
Reaction score

Well, it's been tested a lot and it's fairly safe. I would really recommend it. You've had great progress already, you have the potential to do even better in the future!

virtua_

Reaction score

bustabucket said:
Well, it's been tested a lot and it's fairly safe. I would really recommend it. You've had great progress already, you have the potential to do even better in the future!

Sure, that's true, and I did consider it, however I felt my hair loss wasn't that serious, and now that I'm getting results I hope it's just a matter of time and dedication with my current regimen to regrow hair, so I don't have to mess up my hormonal balance, which I'm a very afraid to do. I know it's been tested as safe, but still, I keep having this nagging suspicion that long-time use of finasteride with the resulting low DHT levels in the body might mess up something else and manifest itself as a different health problem further down the line... Keep in mind, these are only my feelings, and I don't put anyone down for using finasteride, I just don't want to use it if I can avoid it.

- As few medications as possible is my line, I used cortisol for a year because of Ulcerative Colitis, and had to use Asacol every day for years, and I felt it made my body worse and worse from the side effects, so I cut it all out and hope to stay that way! :)

Thanks for the encouring words guys! :D

RaginDemon

Reaction score

the thin spot seems to be filling in a little bit, keep it up bro

TonyTheTiger

Established Member
Reaction score

virtua_ said:
bustabucket said:

Sure, that's true, and I did consider it, however I felt my hair loss wasn't that serious, and now that I'm getting results I hope it's just a matter of time and dedication with my current regimen to regrow hair, so I don't have to mess up my hormonal balance, which I'm a very afraid to do. I know it's been tested as safe, but still, I keep having this nagging suspicion that long-time use of finasteride with the resulting low DHT levels in the body might mess up something else and manifest itself as a different health problem further down the line... Keep in mind, these are only my feelings, and I don't put anyone down for using finasteride, I just don't want to use it if I can avoid it.

- As few medications as possible is my line, I used cortisol for a year because of Ulcerative Colitis, and had to use Asacol every day for years, and I felt it made my body worse and worse from the side effects, so I cut it all out and hope to stay that way! :)

Thanks for the encouring words guys! :D

first I cant really see any difference to be honest because the first pic your hair is wetter and the 2nd pic your hair is dry so of course it will look like lil regrowth.

I should consider trying finasteride because many doctors say propecia only really works with younger men in there 20s and early 30s and early stages of hair loss. You have plenty of hairloss on the crown I am 26 and have similar.
if you had a bit of regrowth with just shampoo then you would probally be a good responder to propecia/proscar.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

I hate to tell you this, but without finasteride and minoxidil, your hair will never look anywhere close to your pre male pattern baldness stage no matter what shampoo you use.

virtua_

Reaction score

RaginDemon said:
I hate to tell you this, but without finasteride and minoxidil, your hair will never look anywhere close to your pre male pattern baldness stage no matter what shampoo you use.

I don't just use shampos to get my hair back, as you can see from my regimen.

virtua_

Reaction score

TonyTheTiger said:
first I cant really see any difference to be honest because the first pic your hair is wetter and the 2nd pic your hair is dry so of course it will look like lil regrowth.

Well, my hair might be a tad drier in the second picture, but it's not dry. It looks a bit drier since it's bleached more than in the first photo too.

RaginDemon

Reaction score

virtua_ said:
RaginDemon said:

I don't just use shampos to get my hair back, as you can see from my regimen.

okey, i should rephrase my statement,

without finasteride and minoxidil, there is no way your hair will look 1/3 as good as it was prior to male pattern baldness.