Visceral Fat As A Cause For Androgenetic Alopecia

Rosenkohl

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

studies have showen that subjects in advanced stages of androgenetic alopecia had increased epicardial fat thickness, https ://www. ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4828384/

My theory of alopecia androgenetica is basically thermodynamical: People change the sweating pattern on their head, for any given cause, by enlaring the area of the head used for sweating. Then, since sweating through hair is far less effective, there is an energetic advantage of losing the terminal hair in this areas.

This means androgenetic alopecia can't in any case be considered a disease. It only becomes a disease if it gets undesired, and out of control, or in cases where it is symptomatic for other underlying diseases.

The loss of terminal hair, I guess, is effectively caused by the impact of oxygen from the blood, acting on the hair follicle. The follicle of a normal hair is in a hypoxic state; where only a regulated, amount of blood through small narrow arteries gets into the follicle.

But as soon as arteries in the skin are widening, blood circulation increases. Now, what the DHT causes is not a direct destruction of the hair follicles; rather, when DHT is created during any kind of arousal (like anger, orgasm, weight lifting etc.), it causes a widening of blood vessles, to the effect that an increased and high pressure stream of oxygen rich blood finally can get through to the hair follicle.

Usually, after some time has passed, the arteries will tighten again, so that the follicle may not be affected much by a singular attack. However, a repeated attack will enventually reduce, and miniaturize the follicle; and after repeated widening, arteries of the skin will eventually accumulate deposits and stay enlarged, over increasing areas of the skin.

My guess is, that balding in most cases will be caused by an increase of visceral fat. Since visceral fat insulates the blood-rich inner organs, the body reacts to an increase of visceral fat by using parts of the outer skin for cooling the blood. This results in an increased amount, and enlarged area of sweating, even during the times when the body is resting. So when visceral fat builds up, parts of the skin are used as a kind of heat exchanger.

Evidently, the degree and pattern of alopecia androgenetica are generally genetically preprogrammed, like by gender, family, ethnicity etc.. However I think they can be altered, accelarated, or delayed by life stlye and behaviour to a large extend.

So for a cure or prevention, there are general recommendation to lead a healthy lifestyle, (like lose weight, not to smoke, not to drink alcohol, limit carbonhydrates, in particular sugar, avoid stress, sleep healthy etc.).

However, to arrive at more specific recommendations, we should on the one hand avoid the need and behaviour to increase sweating area on the head; on the other hand, avoid widening of blood vessels in the head.

Since progressive widening of blood vessels in the head is triggered by emotional exstasy, like taking drugs, consuming alcohol, sexual arousal, arousal by anger, weight training etc. we can try to avoid and limit such events. This means to get aware of, and get rid of addictive repeated behaviour. However, just changing emotional behaviour patterns won't help much, since thermodynamics of the body prevails. Rather, reducing visceral fat may play a decisive role in treating alopecia androgenetica.

For example, we can look at calorie restricted Rhesus monkey Canto, and unrestricted Owen, at the University of Wisconsin http: //news.wisc.edu/newsphotos/monkeyDiet09.html. Both apparently have similar hair growth patterns on the head, with no apparent balding.

However, what is striking is the balding of Owens abdomen, compared to no visible balding of Canto's abdomen. Also, Owen hairs are far more erected over the head and body, while Canto's hair is flat. I assume, that Owen is balding at the abdomen, and has erected hair, because he is sweating from his skin.

Last edited: