Visible red light enhances physiological anagen entry in vivo

IDW2BB

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25557083

Visible red light enhances physiological anagen entry in vivo and has direct and indirect stimulative effects in vitro.
Sheen YS1, Fan SM, Chan CC, Wu YF, Jee SH, Lin SJ.
Author information
1Department of Dermatology, National Taiwan University Hospital and National Taiwan University College of Medicine, 7 Chung-Shan South Road, Taipei, 100, Taiwan.
Abstract
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Hair follicles are located at the interface of the external and internal environments and their cycling has been shown to be regulated by intra- and extra-follicular factors. The aim of this study is to examine whether or how hair follicles respond to visible light.
STUDY DESIGN/MATERIALS AND METHODS:
We examined the effect of 3 mW red (630 nm, 1 J/cm2 ), 2 mW green (522 nm, 1 J/cm2 ), and 2 mW blue light (463 nm, 1 J/cm2 ) on telogen in mice for 3 weeks. The photobiologic effects of red light on cell proliferation of outer root sheath keratinocytes and dermal papilla cells were studied in vitro.
RESULTS:
We found that red light accelerated anagen entry faster than green and blue light in mice. Red light irradiation stimulated the proliferation of both outer root sheath keratinocytes and dermal papilla cells in a dose-dependent manner by promoting cell cycle progression. This stimulative effect was mediated via extracellular signal-regulated kinase phosphorylation in both cells. In a co-culture condition, dermal papilla cells irradiated by red light further enhanced keratinocyte proliferation, suggesting enhanced epithelial-mesenchymal interaction. In search for factors that mediated this paracrine effect, we found fibroblast growth factor 7 was upregulated in both mRNA and protein levels. The stimulative paracrine effect on keratinocytes was significantly inhibited by neutralizing antibody against fibroblast growth factor 7.
CONCLUSIONS:
These results suggest that hair follicles respond to visible light in vivo. Red light may promote physiological telogen to anagen transition by directly stimulating outer root sheath keratinocytes and indirectly by enhancing epithelial-mesenchymal interaction in vitro. Lasers Surg. Med. © 2014 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is no one following up on red light therapy? I found this study that suggests red light increases hair baseline by 39%. Given all of the other profound benefits showing up in the research literature for red light, this seems like an area people should be testing at home.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Did you test it?

I am in the process of researching red light therapy to improve skin quality and improve bioenergetics. I just happened to realize that the same principles and ability to deeply penetrate the dermis might make it a great therapy for male pattern baldness. Once I found that study I came here and was shocked that no one is trying this.

I will be buying whole body red light panels for my other therapies, so I will probably spend 10 minutes a day illuminating the scalp too.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The typical panel products that are certified to use the right frequencies of light are typically $300 to $500. I have no way to verify the quality of the lights in that product, but the price looks wrong. Probably their light intensity is too low to be therapeutic.
I don't think so, they are just using LEDs instead of lasers to produce the same light wavelengths.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think so, they are just using LEDs instead of lasers to produce the same light wavelengths.

The problem is power output. There is not enough power being delivered from that mask to excite a large number of brain neurons, all the way three inches below the skull. The good panels are delivering hundreds of watts of power across their delivery area.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The problem is power output. There is not enough power being delivered from that mask to excite a large number of brain neurons, all the way three inches below the skull. The good panels are delivering hundreds of watts of power across their delivery area.
Ha ha, three inches below the skull that's a good one. I am fairly sure i don't want my brain frying just a little red light on my scalp 4 watt would be fine.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
Ha ha, three inches below the skull that's a good one. I am fairly sure i don't want my brain frying just a little red light on my scalp 4 watt would be fine.

Believe it or not, some of the primary applications for red light are neurodegeneration, mood disorders, and neuroinflammation. These frequencies do penetrate the skull. The mechanism of action is that these frequencies are only absorbed by mitochondria, so the power of the light is transferred to energy production in tissues.

In any case, my point would be to match the power output of the light to the studies you are trying to emulate. I have a hard time believing that such an underpowered light would have studies to back it up.

Murkey Thumb

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am aware of its anti depression uses as one of my friends has a light box for that very purpose. If these LED lights are used to penetrate the skin for anti ageing purposes then it follows that the scalp can also be stimulated by its rays. You don't really want too much heat which is often a problem with laser & lamp versions its benefits are more to do with the frequency and time period.

persistentone

Established Member
Reaction score
I am aware of its anti depression uses as one of my friends has a light box for that very purpose. If these LED lights are used to penetrate the skin for anti ageing purposes then it follows that the scalp can also be stimulated by its rays. You don't really want too much heat which is often a problem with laser & lamp versions its benefits are more to do with the frequency and time period.

"Light boxes" for depression are something totally different. They treat seasonal affective disorder (SAD) by introducing more visible blue light into the eye. This is typically associated with winter depression.

Red light penetrates the skull and directly raises the energy level in mitochondria of your neurons. This is a completely different - and much much more powerful - effect. What matters for red light is not only the frequency, but the power output of the light.

Last edited: