Vitamin absorbtion

poochy

Reaction score
Is it true that your body does not even absorb most of the vitamin you injest and it just passes through your body? If this is so are there any vitamin suppliments you can take that your body can absorb better?

CCS

Reaction score
you absorb more if you chew them before swallowing. I heard taking them with food helps absorption, but I kind of doubt that. I know that if you have vitamin K in your collard greens, you need to eat some fat to absorb more of it. But if you already have it separated in a pill, I'd think the food would hurt the absorption.

One of the reasons pills may not help is you get the vitamin, but not the cofactors for it. Like with vitamin C, you need bioflavonoids. You get both when you eat fruit, or most fruit. The bioflavonoids color the fruit. If you take 1000mg of vitamin C, you only get the vitamin. But they have vitamin C with bioflavonoids it it. They make it work much longer and better.

It's true you don't absorb all the vitamins in pills, but you usually absorb even less of the vitamins in food. You absorb most in animal products, but many of the vitamins in plants are locked way in a form which we can't use. Bacterial have to open them for us. This might be true of unripe fruit, too. Spinach is a good example. The oxalic acid binds calcium and other nutrients so you can't use them. It has more nutrients than many plants, but you can't use them. Better to eat collard greens. Soy is very nutritious, but the phitic acid is very unhealthy for humans, and locks away the nutrients. If you boil chopped up soy beans with meat, the the phitic acid will get taken care of.

Jacob

Reaction score
Sublingual and especially liposomal type products can be better absorbed. I've taken this company's Vit C product(mega doses) w/out any side effects at all. http://www.livonlabs.com/ Their latest product looks good(I didn't say cheap)