Wait til I'm 18 to start Propecia, or demand it now.

Theguy

Reaction score
My Dermatologist told me to use minoxidil 5% right now for my hairloss, but said I should hold off on Propecia because I'm only 16. However I've been noticing an increase in hairloss (could just be my mind playing tricks on me, I never know anymore.). Anyway, do the experts here think I should follow my doctors advice and wait, or should I beg and plead for it. I know doctors are usually right, but I'm feeling a bit panicky.

bombscience

Reaction score
Theguy said:
My Dermatologist told me to use minoxidil 5% right now for my hairloss, but said I should hold off on Propecia because I'm only 16. However I've been noticing an increase in hairloss (could just be my mind playing tricks on me, I never know anymore.). Anyway, do the experts here think I should follow my doctors advice and wait, or should I beg and plead for it. I know doctors are usually right, but I'm feeling a bit panicky.

Ouch tough call man. I would start with a topical DHT inhibitor like spironolactone and also use minoxidil if your hair is noticably thinning. I'm not sure using Finasteride on a 16 year old body is a good idea. I know my body has grown a lot since 16.

G

i been usin rogaine for a day now and i think my hairs already gettin thicker no joke. or maybe its in my head.

maddoc23

Established Member
Reaction score
Theguy said:

DHT is directly responsible for the growth and formation of the male genitalia. Age isn't this issue, the issue is puberty. If you are still growing then you do not want to take finasteride. Your doctor is right, hold off!

D

G

do you actually have any bald spots or is it just thinning overall?

Theguy

Reaction score
Thinning overall.

taxi

Reaction score
keep it cool man! you'r too young. minoxidil and nizoral for the moment, and propecia by 20 or 21 years old.

flux

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Definitely hit it with a topcal like spironolactone or Zix.

richlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
No propecia, don't DARE touch it at your age.

I wouldn't even touch spironolactone or any topical DHT.. just get on minoxidil for now and see how it goes.

Your hair looks thicker after a few days of minoxidil because of the PPG in the solution is just making your hair cosmetically thicker.. as if you put gel or hairspray in it.. when i used 2% minoxidil the same thing happened and i thought my hair was getting thicker overnight too =)

Stingray

Reaction score
Wait till you're 19 or 20 before starting. When yer done growing.

DHT is an ESSENTIAL hormone for the masculinization of the male body. When you're 16, you're still growing and developing. Removing that hormone is basically equivalent to castration. And at your age...I'd rather be bald than a permanent kid.

Capische?

G

yea i know its just that greasy oily sh*t is makin all my hair stick together.