want out

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Any bald lawyers on here?
Me and my current GF bought a house a couple years ago.
I WANT OUT!
I cant take her. Ill take being a lonely bald guy or dealing with hookers over being this miserable for the rest of my life. One of my rentals is vacant and the more Im there working on it the more I realize I just shoudl move into it.

Thing is this
When we bought the house the mortgage is in her name so If a renter sued me they could not take the house, PLUS I didn't want my name on anything more than my own investments for my own reasons.
I did make her sign a contract that stated if one of us wanted to break up the other would have to either buy the person out or we have to sell it and split any money accordingly.
We have talked and I have told her I want out and we need to split the money but she just gets loud and angry and screams how she'll make me take her to court and Ill never see a dime blah blah blah.

I could care less about most of the rebuild I did except major purchases like roof, siding, fence, etc etc. The small stuff I guess whatever but I DO want my portion of the down payment back as well. Im looking around prob 20K. It was a real fixer upper I spent 2 years of my life turning into a great house with my own two hands. Built my own cabinets, concrete counters, gutted and rebuilt the entire lower level to studs, new wiring etc etc. Even installed two new bathrooms from piping up, my own two hands but she just doesnt appreciate anything and her greed and thick headednes prohibit her from realizing all Ive done and just amicably splitting up.

What lawyer do I have to see to get the right info on where to start.
One of the reasons Im posting here is because honestly I dont think the psyco would ever be able to trail my post and get a head start, and SOMEONE here has to have gone through this.

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
Im looking around prob 20K.

Sounds like it's worth $20k to start fresh. Why are divorces so expensive? Because they are worth it.

Make sure nothing is in your name. Ask the Post office to forward your mail to a PO Box, pack your junk up and move out when she is gone. I'm talking like ninja style, leave a note asking for her to call you. Be a Gentlemen, don't take anything but your cloths and personal stuff. Leave the TV and other MATERIAL items. I've seen this played out before. The couple gets back together then it's ackward at family events because of the crap slinging. Take the highest road my friend. Beside do you really want stuff around that will remind you of her?

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sounds like it's worth $20k to start fresh. Why are divorces so expensive? Because they are worth it.

Make sure nothing is in your name. Ask the Post office to forward your mail to a PO Box, pack your junk up and move out when she is gone. I'm talking like ninja style, leave a note asking for her to call you. Be a Gentlemen, don't take anything but your cloths and personal stuff. Leave the TV and other MATERIAL items. I've seen this played out before. The couple gets back together then it's ackward at family events because of the crap slinging. Take the highest road my friend. Beside do you really want stuff around that will remind you of her?

I have more than just a few things. And things I brought with me like ALL my music gear is expensive. We are not married so its not a divorce.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
Are you guys considered "common law" yet? I think that is the only way you will have a leg to stand on in court. Without a contract it is going to be tough to get your fair share. I would just say take the expensive lesson and just get the hell out. Your piece of mind is worth way more then the money you would get out of a lawsuit.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you guys considered "common law" yet? I think that is the only way you will have a leg to stand on in court. Without a contract it is going to be tough to get your fair share. I would just say take the expensive lesson and just get the hell out. Your piece of mind is worth way more then the money you would get out of a lawsuit.

No I said in the OP I made her sign a contract. CT has no common law.

We have an actual contract, I just dont know what kind of lawyer to bring it to. Real estate, divorce, contract, etc
Should I even see a lawyer or just go to local court and figure it out? Im stressed and stumped.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
See a lawyer first just to get a hang of things unless there is one on here. This is very specific legal stuff and you need to know where you stand. Why did you sign a contract anyway? Sorry I am bit clueless about this kind of stuff. Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Maybe try and be on nice terms with her, might help with all this? I take it she is responsible for the mortgage not you.