waytooyoung's story - (18 and receding)

waytooyoung

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've recently turned 18 and think my hairline has been receding for about 2 years now. I noticed it almost a year ago and began using P r o c e r i n for about 9 months ago (also taking a tablet called Silica and just started drinking green tea), although i saw my hair getting thicker i fear the effects could have worn off, i also noticed that not many people use P r o c e r i n on here. (Even censors it)

So im considering switching to something like finasteride, Rogaine, minoxidil, or dutasteride, and wondered if anyone could give me some advice, any help would be great?

Here is a picture, I have always had a big forehead, talk about adding insut to injury huh.

]

Winter

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome! Youre recession is pretty bad for an 18-year old I'm afraid, I would get on Min and finasteride right away if I were you.

Hows your dads hairloss and so forth? Uncle?

waytooyoung

Reaction score
Winter said:
Hi and Welcome! Youre recession is pretty bad for an 18-year old I'm afraid, I would get on Min and finasteride right away if I were you.

Hows your dads hairloss and so forth? Uncle?

I read about the possibility of Finasteride causing permanent erectile disfunction, I am looking for anything else to compensate for it. I am going to buy 2% Nizoral and give minoxidil a try, would you reccommend the 5% version or a stronger one? And my dads' hair is thinning bad but he is in his 50's, on my mums side, most of my uncles are all bald.

Winter

Reaction score
Basically using Minoxidil without Finasteride is kind of useless, minoxidil only boosts your follicles while finasteride really solves the main problem, which is DHT. Combined they are often very effective, and finasteride is often used alone to, but using only Min is not recommended.

Check my thread out ( http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=68945&start=10, I had the same recession as you have, and finasteride/min totally reversed it and it has kept my hair like this for 4 years. I've NEVER had a problem with finasteride, its just bullshit man, its like 1 out of a 1000 men that gets sides, and if you do, just quit it.

waytooyoung

Reaction score
Congratulations, Not sure I want to take that risk though. I will keep looking for something, thinking of minoxidil, Nizoral to slow the process, although im nearing the point where if i am experimental and it doesn't work i will be noticeably balding, not something i want to go to college with.

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score
If you're scared, try a lower dose, like half a tablet...

deadlocks

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking finasteride when I turned 19, dutasteride when I was 20, and all that I ever experienced was very mild side effects, and only on the beginning of using the meds.

Indeed, your recession seems very aggressive, but you can probably turn that around if you take finasteride. Then again, I'd only take it if you've stopped growing / developing.

You can also start taking minoxidil alone first, and later add a DHT-blocker?

waytooyoung

Reaction score
Cheers for the advice guys, I take it Proserin is no good?, I have just bought some Nizoral 2% Shampoo and will get some Saw Palmetto tablets as well as eating healthy untill decide whether to get finasteride/minoxidil.

triplethreat

Reaction score
yes p rocerin is rubbish. its just saw palmetto which is also not going to do anything for your hair. Get off the saw p and start with proven treatments. get some finar...its cheap... cut it into 4 pieces (1.25mg) and get some minoxidil.

takenick

Reaction score
waytooyoung said:
Cheers for the advice guys, I take it Proserin is no good?, I have just bought some Nizoral 2% Shampoo and will get some Saw Palmetto tablets as well as eating healthy untill decide whether to get finasteride/minoxidil.
In my opinion you're wasting time and you'll be an N5 by 23. Saw palmetto causes ED and won't grow your hair back. Start with a low dose of finasteride and gradually increase. That's what I've done the past month or so. I noticed some minor sexual side effects in the beginning and I think they're gone now. My hair doesn't itch and shed anymore. And I'm hoping I grow some hair back! minoxidil is a serious commitment. I wouldn't start that yet.

waytooyoung

Reaction score
takenick said:
In my opinion you're wasting time and you'll be an N5 by 23. Saw palmetto causes ED and won't grow your hair back. Start with a low dose of finasteride and gradually increase. That's what I've done the past month or so. I noticed some minor sexual side effects in the beginning and I think they're gone now. My hair doesn't itch and shed anymore. And I'm hoping I grow some hair back! minoxidil is a serious commitment. I wouldn't start that yet.

triplethreat said:
yes p rocerin is rubbish. its just saw palmetto which is also not going to do anything for your hair. Get off the saw p and start with proven treatments. get some finar...its cheap... cut it into 4 pieces (1.25mg) and get some minoxidil.

Thanks for letting me know, to be fair it did make it thicker for a few months but does nothing now. I'm going to get some finar and quarter it, if i start getting sexual side effects though, I don't know if i could continue, just the thought in the back of my head "well what if it gets irreversible?" plus i am only 18, surely the lower of testosterone would not be good for me.

waytooyoung

Reaction score
I'm thinking of taking small doses of Finasteride anyone have any ideas on what to get, like procerin, fincar?