We deserve Propecia on the NHS

Britannia

Reaction score
This one is for UK people only - sorry.
Ive just been reading through some of the stories in the Impact of Hairloss forum and to be honest its really scary. I had no idea how affected some people can get with their hairloss. Now heres an interesting fact: some doctors in the UK are prescibing anti-depressants to people who are depressed because of their hair loss. WTF? It seems the NHS are willing to pay for the anti-depressants to cover up the psychological effect of hair loss, but wont pay for the underlying cause (i.e. DHT) to be treated. Now look at v****. As a general rule of thumb it is not available on the NHS however in cases where depression or other psychological disorders are the result of impotence, doctors in the UK can prescribe v**** on the NHS (not many people will know this, but if you look in the British Nation Formulary its in there). There is no such provision for the use of Propecia in this way. Why? Because the psychological effect of male pattern baldness is less than that of impotence? No of course not. The reason is because the number of people with male pattern baldness far outweighs the number of people suffering with impotence. Doesnt it seem so unfair that we all pay our taxes but when we actually need something back from the government they basically wave two fingers.
Another thing that suprises me is that nobody has actually tried to challenge the fact that Propecia is not available on the NHS. You would only need a few thousand signatures on a petition presented to your local MP to have the point raised in Westminister.

jeffsss

Reaction score
because it's cosmetic??

just like lyposuction... breast enlargement... botox*.. nose jobs.. face lifts... etc........

people get depressed about a lot of things.. you dont see people getting free silicone breasts because a girl is depressed about her A size tittys.

Britannia

Reaction score
My arguement being Propecia is clinically proven to treat male pattern baldness. I have male pattern baldness. I want a treatment. Denied because it costs to much.
Is that fair in a country that charges over 50p tax on every litre of petrol?

Zim

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually isnt Propecia already on the NHS in a way? As I believe if you get it prescribed from your Doctor you can get it free? Maybe im wrong, not sure. Never even talked to my new Doctor about hairloss. Most UK docs are hopeless, hopeless when it comes to anything to do with male pattern baldness.

Bert

Established Member
Reaction score
Nope its not on the NHS its available in the UK but only on private presciption. So your doctor can write you a script but you have to pay the price of the pills.

Britannia

Reaction score
Zimmy said:
Actually isnt Propecia already on the NHS in a way? As I believe if you get it prescribed from your Doctor you can get it free? Maybe im wrong, not sure. Never even talked to my new Doctor about hairloss. Most UK docs are hopeless, hopeless when it comes to anything to do with male pattern baldness.

Youre wrong. Propecia cannot be obtained on the NHS.

jeffsss

Reaction score
well it's not like insurance companies in the US cover it..

we pay full price just like you guys......

Britannia

Reaction score
jeffsss said:
well it's not like insurance companies in the US cover it..

we pay full price just like you guys......

But you dont get raped by the taxman like we do.

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
because it's cosmetic??

just like lyposuction... breast enlargement... botox*.. nose jobs.. face lifts... etc........

people get depressed about a lot of things.. you dont see people getting free silicone breasts because a girl is depressed about her A size tittys.

Not true, women can get breast implants and other cosmetic procedures on the NHS if their appearance is causing them psychological problems.

One more example of the hidden discrimination against men prevalent in society today.

Britannia

Reaction score
Anyone (male or female) could technically get cosmetic surgery on the NHS. What really winds me up is that Doctors in the UK simply do not have the option of prescribing Propecia to treat male pattern baldness. In theory you could go to your doctor and complain that the fact you dont look like Brad Pitt is causing you psychological problems and your doctor would be well within his rights to say "OK lets try plastic surgery to sort that out". As long as the patient was suitable for surgery, the NHS would be obliged to pick up the tab (OK this is a bit of an extreme example, and the doctor would have probably violated every morale and ethically fibre he had).
Why arent Doctors given the option to treat male pattern baldness if they have a patient where male pattern baldness is causing severe depression?

Britannia

Reaction score
T/Gel Fanclub said:
Technically they could, but there would be a good likelihood that they'd have to go through psychiatry and psychology beforehand.

No technically they cannot. Under any circumstance whatsoever. There is no clause in the BNF that allows Dr's to prescribe Propecia on the NHS under any circumstance. This is what I believe is so wrong.
Check out http://www.bnf.org.uk

Britannia

Reaction score
T/Gel Fanclub said:
i) I was referring to your 'Brad Pitt' example. Not the prescribing of Propecia.

My mistake.

T/Gel Fanclub said:
ii) Propecia can be and is prescribed by GPs, but just not on NHS prescriptions.

Thats my point. Its unfair the NHS dont pick up the tab.

T/Gel Fanclub said:
iii) As I gave you stuff from the BNF earlier in the thread, its a bit pointless pointing me to it.

Theres acutally loads of great info on here about finasteride and min. Thought it would be useful for some of the newbies to look at. Wasnt an attempt to undermine you.