weight increase with finasteride-explanation

thylax

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I had read in a magazine that although finasteride reduces DHT, it increases testosterone about 15%. This is probably the cause that weight increases (dont forget that bodybuilders taking testosterone automatically gain weight). :?

The Rock

Established Member
Reaction score
ya but is that fat or muscle is the q

NHLfan

Reaction score
I've gained a bunch of weight in my 1st few weeks on finasteride and it's been nothing but fat (I haven't lost any muscle however). I've got a little bhudda belly for the 1st time in my life. I noticed during my weight gain period that I had very little energy and I belive that my body was going through and adjustmet phase. My energy's come back after 6 weeks so I'm hoping my metabolism is back to normal and I can shed the weight before spring.

drinkrum

Reaction score
thylax said:
I had read in a magazine that although finasteride reduces DHT, it increases testosterone about 15%. This is probably the cause that weight increases (dont forget that bodybuilders taking testosterone automatically gain weight). :?

No, that is not the cause of the weight gain. While finasteride increases testosterone, it also increase estradiol (the strong form of estrogen). Testosterone/estradiol ratios actually decrease with finasteride because the gain in estradiol is higher than the gain in testosterone. And estrogens, especially estradiol, can cause weight gain in the form of fat retention, bloating, etc.

D.

Reaction score
It is for sure Estradiol and not Testosterone responsible for fat gain.
Bodybuilders who take stereoids increase their testosterone dramatically, gain muscle and at the same time lose fat.