what about the other shampoos?

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i get the idea that they won't do much, if anything, since it is only on your scalp for minutes...but what are opinions about these shampoos...:

1. Revivogen shampoo
2. Selsun (not blue..but there is one that is for seborrhea d.)
3. American crew (comes with cps..??)

Biostudent

Reaction score

I don't know if revivogen shampoo will do much in terms of hair loss and maintenance, but it makes your hair feel and LOOK amazing after leaving it for about 5 mins. Make sure you don't get it in your eyes though.

How about Sebcur or Sebcur-t (w/ cold tar) Dermatologist suggested i rotate it with nizoral. Any thoughts?

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Use Head & Shoulders on your non-nizoral days.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i don't use nizoral and i already am using h&s. my question was about the ""other"" shampoos.

G

jimmystanley said:
i don't use nizoral and i already am using h&s. my question was about the ""other"" shampoos.

Nizoral

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/quer ... s=14729013

It can reasonably be concluded that the clinical efficacy of ketoconazole shampoo in the treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia is primarily a function of DHT pathway disruption rather than an anti-inflammatory effect. In rat studies ketoconazole caused 5-R inhibition [28]. Furthermore, in humans ketoconazole has also been shown to inhibit the binding of 5-R to sex hormone globulins [29]. These clinical studies suggest that ketoconazole like finasteride may inhibit the production of DHT. Unlike finasteride ketoconazole has been shown to bind to human AR [30]. Thus, the effect of ketoconazole on the DHT pathway may be two-fold: inhibition of DHT and/or inhibition of DHT binding to AR. Either or both of these properties would result in reduced incidence of DHT binding to AR and inhibiting the pathway that leads to the miniaturizing of hair follicles.

seperate post

March 04, 2001 - American Academy of Dermatology Meeting - Washington DC - Scientists working for McNeil, makers of Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo, presented the findings of a study done on 1% Nizoral shampoo which has good news for hair loss sufferers. It has long been known that 2% prescription Nizoral has beneficial effects on Androgenic Alopecia (male pattern baldness). It however has been unclear whether the same benefits can be obtained by using the non-prescription 1% version.
In the study presented (see below), one hundred male volunteers with mild to moderate dandruff and somewhat oily scalp, were using, in a double-blind fashion, either a 1% Nizoral shampoo or a 1% zinc pyrithione shampoo, 2-3 times a week for 6 months.
Analysis of the different parameters set up in the study shows that the hair diameter gradually increased with Nizoral use (+8.46%) over a 6 month period, whereas the diameter showed a trend to decrease with zinc pyrithione use over the same period (-2.28%). The sebum excretion rate was reduced with Nizoral (-6.54%) while it increased with zinc pyrithione (+8.2%) over the same period of time. The number of hair shed over a 24-hour period was reduced by 16.46% with Nizoral and 6.02% with zinc pyrithione after 6 months. Finally, the percentage hairs in anagen phase increased by 6.4% and 8.4% respectively during the study time.

The results are similar to a previous study done on 2% prescription strength Nizoral where it was shown that use of 2% Nizoral yielded a 7% average increase in hair shaft diameter similar to what was achieved by the control group using 2% Minoxidil and a non-medicated shampoo.

So for any hair loss sufferer, this research clearly indicates that using 1% or 2% Nizoral 2-3 times per week, will have positive effects on hair growth as well as controlling dandruff. It is still unclear at this time whether it's the anti-fungal properties or the anti-androgenic properties of Ketokonazole (active ingredient in Nizoral) thats responsible for the hair thickening effects, however because of the decrease in sebum rates as well, it is the authors opinion that the results are due to the anti-androgenic properties of Ketokonazole.

Quote from Dr Lee website: Ketoconazole has been proven to decrease the quantities of DHT in the scalp by helping to inhibit its synthesis from sterols.  Salicylic acid has a keratolytic and a slight antiseptic action when applied topically to the skin.  By removing some of the dead epidermal layers of the stratum corneum, there is an enhanced action by the ketoconazole in suppressing the production of DHT in the scalp.

and aslo.....

quote from Nutrogenas own website: Ketoconazole has rapidly become the treatment of choice for scalp conditions such as Dandruff and Seborrheic Dermatitis , among many Dermatologists and other medical professionals. However, while patients with Hyperkeratotic scalp conditions are often encouraged to wash their hair daily, Ketaconzole is indicated for use only twice a week.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo contains 3% Salicylic Acid, primes the scalp for effective keratolitic therapy. As a first line treatment it reduces crusty scalp build – up with maximum Keratolitic Activity. So it is an ideal pretreatment for Ketoconazole and Co - therapy (Alternative days) with Tar Shampoos. Because it is fragrance free, colorant free and preservatives –free Shampoo, patients with sensitive scalps can drive the therapeutic benefits of Salicylic Acid without risk of irritation due to undesirable additives.

T/Sal Maximum Strength Shampoo is cosmetically elegant, with the conditioning shampoo base, which overcome the dryness and irritation that could accompany higher concentrations of Salicylic Acid. The result is effective therapy without having to sacrifice soft, manageable hair.

How to Use: 

Massage into wet scalp, leave on several minutes, rinse thoroughly and repeat.

jmoney32

Reaction score
should you use t/sal the same day you use nizoral or would using t/sal one day and nizoral the other be the way to go?

Old Baldy

Reaction score
A lot of people use T-Sal first. After soaking their scalp with T-Sal for 5 minutes, they then soak their scalp with Nizoral. Better effect is the reason. The T-sal "sets-up" your scalp for other medications.

I do that now and then but also use T-Sal on off days sometimes. I haven't had any itching, etc., but it's too early to really tell for me because I didn't get on the male pattern baldness treatment bandwagon until Sept., 2004.

Like Tynan's post, Nizoral appears to be a "must have". Three bottles at sunrisemeds.com cost around $45.00, including shipping from Canada. They should last a LONG time.

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
fellas...fellas...fellas.... how easily we become diverted from the origional topic. :? i know how those shampoos work for me. i was asking about the other three. thanks.

Temples

Experienced Member
Reaction score
You should use T/Gay, since you're gay and all.

Old Baldy

Reaction score
Sorry Jimmy, all the shampoos you listed should be fine for days you don't use Nizoral. They help with scalp health.

Also, from all the reading I've done on shampoos, the "medicine" they deliver after leaving on for 5 minutes keeps working for quite a while after you rinse it off. They keep on working Jimmy!

You have to realize that I'm a wacko Jimmy when it comes to scalp health. I wish I had known how important it is to keep your scalp healthy. I was stupid for not researching this long ago.

I'm so wacko about this that I just made a batch of my own shampoo bars that contain Neem Oil as the active ingredient. It's anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory. The other oils used are all good oils for the scalp and hair. I leave that stuff on for 5 minutes on off days from using Nizoral for a "shotgun" approach to scalp health.

I have so many shampoos now that it's RIDICULOUS! You know what I mean WACKO.

Is it helping, I think so. :?