What are the big 3? And should I use it? 19 years old.

omgmanwtf

Reaction score
I've always had a widow's peak so when my hairline started receding I didn't really take notice. My hair used to be super thick so barbers would always complain about how hard it was to cut my hair... But I haven't gone back to a barber since I turned 16. I'm currently 19 turning 20 in September. I started noticing my hair thinning at 16 and it only got worst after that. This summer I feel like I've lost more hair than all those 3 years combined. On the Norwood scale my mom's oldest brother is about a 6 and my mom's second oldest has stayed a 4 for a couple years now. I'm the third oldest son in my family and I have the most hair loss -.-I'm hoping I won't reach six though. What would my hair be on the Norwood scale? How to tell when balding will stop? And should I start using the Big 3? More importantly what are the big 3? Can it make my hair line better? Thinning hair and a receding hairline doesn't really boost the confidence of a university student.

Attachments

• as.jpg
    as.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 531

mompo

Established Member
Reaction score
The Big 3 is Propecia, Minoxidil 5% and Ketoconazole shampoo and yes you should use it. It is supposed to maintain the hair you have now in the worst scenario but you're young so with some luck it will grow your hair back.

omgmanwtf

Reaction score
The Big 3 is Propecia, Minoxidil 5% and Ketoconazole shampoo and yes you should use it. It is supposed to maintain the hair you have now in the worst scenario but you're young so with some luck it will grow your hair back.
What if I just use minoxidil and Ketoconzole? Can those two alone do something or do I also have to add Propecia? I'm planning on green tea as a DHT blocker and also planning on taking vitamins too. I would use propecia but I don't have the time to go get a prescription.

mompo

Established Member
Reaction score
I personnally used minoxidil only for 2 years. It slowed my hair loss for a while but then DHT wins and minoxidil become useless. I don't think Ket is strong enough to fight DHT. You need finasteride man.
I've read somewhere that you need to drink 60 cups of green tea per day to block enough DHT... After 2 years of minoxidil alone because I was afraid of finasteride sides I finally understood that DHT is stronger than everything except finasteride and dutasteride

Agustin Araujo

My Regimen
Reaction score
What if I just use minoxidil and Ketoconzole? Can those two alone do something or do I also have to add Propecia? I'm planning on green tea as a DHT blocker and also planning on taking vitamins too. I would use propecia but I don't have the time to go get a prescription.

Propecia (Finasteride) will need to be the first and most important treatment to get on since it directly treats the cause of genetic hair loss, which is DHT. Minoxidil is secondary if you're looking into hair regrowth and better maintenance. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo helps to keep the scalp clean and help treat Androgenetic Alopecia related inflammation, but other than that, it won't do a whole lot.

Green Tea and vitamins will not do anything to treat your male pattern baldness, just thought I'd let you know that.

privatealex

Reaction score
Propecia (Finasteride) will need to be the first and most important treatment to get on since it directly treats the cause of genetic hair loss, which is DHT. Minoxidil is secondary if you're looking into hair regrowth and better maintenance. Using a Ketoconazole shampoo helps to keep the scalp clean and help treat Androgenetic Alopecia related inflammation, but other than that, it won't do a whole lot.

Green Tea and vitamins will not do anything to treat your male pattern baldness, just thought I'd let you know that.

supplements wont stop male pattern baldness but they will support the main medication(finasteride/dutasteride) and the quality of the hair i have seen it myself while taking biotin

omgmanwtf

Reaction score
Alright I understand what you guys are saying. I guess finasteride is the most important fighter. For now I'm gonna go with something like procerin so I at least have a DHT blocker and then maybe during winter break I'll try to start finasteride. Honestly though, the side effects of finasteride are frightening... But I love my hair more. Where would you guys put me on the Norwood scale? And how can I tell if I'll stay there or not?

jbrog1987

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks like a NW3 based on your temple recession. And no clue on telling how far it'll progress. But without treatments assume it won't stop before you're an advanced Norwood (NW5, 6 or 7). I would say a big part of it is how aggressive your case is.