What can i expect from Finasteride / Hairloss started 8 month ago

Kevlon

Reaction score
Hello i guess the balding progress in my family hit me too.

Im 26 yrs old and since 7-8 month my hair started thinning a lot specially at my crown.
I have a history of Androgenetic Alopecia in my family. My Dad is bald and it hit my older brother when he was 19. He took Propecia for 10 yrs but then quitted because he got married and didn't like the idea of taking a pill everyday although he was completely healthy. He told me that he had no side effects at all. His hair became thicker again and more healthier.

So 2 weeks ago i had my appointment with my dermatologist we took a couple of blood tests and checked other possible reasons why i lost my hair to be sure that i have Androgenetic Alopecia. I then told him that i lost a little bit of weight last year due exercising and a healthier diet. We talked about propecia and finasteride and he said that he first would recommend me minoxidil and would like to see me 6 month later with the results. I told him that im really concerned about my hair status because in my opinion i lost all the thickness my hair had before. My hair is ok now but no way a comparison to what i had at the end of last years summer. I told him that im really concerned that i will even loose more hair the next 6 Month and finasteride would be hopeless by then but he said that 6 Month would make no difference and we could hop on to finasteride. Well that was 2 weeks ago i have a new appointment next week with him where i want to say that i really would like to give finasteride a try now because i think loosing more time is no good.

So i know this is really hypothetical. But what do you think do i have a chance of growing back the hair i lost 7-8 Month ago or are they gone? I mean it would be even a huge success to maintain what i have but my Doctor said that i should not worry about that.
He told me that he working with this drug since when it came out and had really really good results with it and his patient.

So maybe some of you guys have an opinion on that. Would be great to hear from some experienced people.

Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 205
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 196

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'd skip minoxidil and just go straight for finasteride. minoxidil doesn't stop DHT ravaging your hair. Plus taking a pill once a day is A LOT less of a hassle than applying minoxidil once/twice daily.

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd skip minoxidil and just go straight for finasteride. minoxidil doesn't stop DHT ravaging your hair. Plus taking a pill once a day is A LOT less of a hassle than applying minoxidil once/twice daily.
This. Don't even bother with minoxidil with the little loss you have. finasteride, that's all.

Kevlon

Reaction score
This. Don't even bother with minoxidil with the little loss you have. finasteride, that's all.

That at was the same I was thinking. What do you guys think about the chance getting back what I have lost because its still quit early? I mean I would be fine with maintaing my status but what do you think I can except?

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Your doctor (like most GPs) is an idiot. The other posters are right, minoxidil will give you a temporary boost, but your follicles will keep miniaturising and you will go bald. Finasteride will prevent this, it is the only long term maintenance option. Fight the cause, not the symptoms, get on finasteride and find a new doctor. Given how recent your thinning is, I'd say you have a very good chance of restoring your hair to full thickness.

Kevlon

Reaction score
Hmm that's somehow strange because by Doctor is really pro finasteride. He told me that he had great results with his clients and is working with this medication since more than 17 years that's why I'm curious why he didn't prescribe it to me also he said he would first like to try it with minoxidil and later maybe with finasteride. He seems really experienced with male pattern baldness and its treatment