What causes a bad/noticeable transplant at the hairline?

bighurt

Reaction score
i read what sounded like a horror story on the hairlosshelp boards the other day from some guy that got called out at work by a co-worker that said in front of everyone "hey, did you get a hairtransplant" and apparently his other co-workers all chimed in with "yeah, we were all wondering about that." he said these co-workers had never even seen him before the procedure so it's not like they noticed b/c of a big change in his appearance. also, he said that his Doctor was Dr. Hassan who's obviously very respected and well thought of. i guess i'm wondering, why did that happen to this guy? just bad luck that maybe it wasn't Hassan's best work? other factors?

when people say someone has a bad/noticeable hair transplant along the hairline, what are the main causes of it? i've heard several different things some of which relate to the doctor's skill which makes perfect sense to me. however, other variables seem to be a factor too.

so, aside from the doctor's skill (ie. hair angles), what are these factors?

some ideas/guesses that i have:
1) Lack of Density - i think it goes w/o saying that if the doctor and patient don't come up with a plan to add enough density along the hairline, it will look sparse and "pluggy".

2) Thickness of roots - the hair in the back of the head is slightly thicker/coarser than the hair on the top/sides so if it's a strip procedure where all of the donor hair comes from the back (as opposed to FUE which can come from both the back and sides) this may lead to an appearance of thicker/unnatural looking hair at the hairline?

3) Follicular Unit's - the doctor should obviously use only single FU's along the first layer of the hairline. 2 & 3 FU's should be used behind this initial line.

4) Hair Color - it seems that the darker your hair, the more obvious a transplant may be at the hairline?

5) Hair Style - if you wore your hair slicked back would that make it more noticeable?

any other ideas or comments on this topic out there would be greatly appreciated.

i'm just trying to get an idea of how you guys view this. if a good Doctor, known for hairlines (ie. Armani, Cole, Feller) performs the procedure (and therefore knows the proper angles/density/single fu's), what is the likelihood of a hair transplant being noticeable to someone that doesn't know you've had a procedure and isn't looking for it? the idea of that is kind of scary to me. like after going thru all of this trouble, spending thousands of dollars, etc. you could almost look worse than if you hadn't had anything done.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
you asked a question and you answered it yourself.

G

How sure are you that it was Dr. Hasson of H&W? I would ask again to be sure. I guess no one has a 100% batting average.

Proper angulation of the protruding hair in commencing the hairline is also critical. If the angulation is off, it causes eye drift.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
From what ive noticed, guys with thick black hair and a pale white scalp are the most noticable reciepients of hair transplants. Dirty/Blondes with fine hair have incredible results from what ive seen, almost undetectable.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
RaginDemon said:
you asked a question and you answered it yourself.
you really did buddy.  I think all of the reasons you cited dried up any responses you might have gotten from anyone here.  I agree that all of the reasons you gave are the biggest factors.

G

Even with the wide color contrast, if the artistry is there and the angulation, graft size is correct, it still can look totally natural.