What determines the speed of male pattern baldness?

jkjkjkjk

Reaction score
No one in my family have gone bald but both my uncles on my mothers side have kept a nw3 which hasn't progressed since their 20's (50 y/old now). I have obviously inherited the male pattern baldness genes from them but the rate mine is receding/thinning I can't see myself having much hair on top past my mid-early 20's. Do you think there are other contributers that effect the speed up male pattern baldness? Looking at the condition of my hair it seems to be dying on my head.

I have also noticed celebs who have receded at a young age but stopped at a nw3. i.e Daniel Day Lewis, Tom Hanks, James Woods etc. Have these guys just stopped receding or have they just had transplants?

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to tell when it comes to celebrities. Many of them might have had work done, but who knows? There aren't many who would admit having work done so it's difficult to find out. Anyway, I think it's in the genes how early the balding gene "starts working". For example my maternal grandfather was a NW3+ in his 30's, and my mother is pretty thin now at 55. I'm balding rapidly at 25... it's a gamble. Many of my uncles (I got like 10 of them) are receding but have still very good hair, except one who is NW5. The one who's NW5 still had pretty much all his hair when he was 30.

Dunno if the paternal genes should be taken into account in my case, since I clearly have the same hair type as my mom... and her big forehead too :p. Anyway, my paternal grandmother was almost bald on top when she was old. My father started thinning at around 55... had receded to NW3 before that. Paternal grandfather had the thickest set of jet black hair until he died... only a hint of grey above the ears. I wish I could say I'd have liked to have his hair but I don't dig black hair.