What do I do?

lexicalgap

Reaction score
Hey,

I just turned 22 years old and I grew up my whole life with a thick set of hair, I never really had a problem. However, about a year and a half ago I bleached my hair to dye it and I had no clue what I was doing. I left the bleach in for a good while and there was a point where I felt my scalp burning pretty badly. Since then, I've progressively been loosing my hair and it has definitely thinned out dramatically. I have no clue what to do and whether or not I should start seeking treatment. I was recommended rogaine but I am a bit afraid of causing any more damage. If anything, perhaps the rogaine will reactivate the follicles that the bleach killed? I'm not even sure if it is a result of the bleach but it is happening in all of the areas that I applied it to. I have some pictures attached below of the area I bleached and dyed and how it progressed to now. (if the picture how it looks now doesn't do it much justice, trust me it's to the point where the scalp is visible) I've been researching for a while now and I am still unsure what to do. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2755.JPG
    IMG_2755.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_2756.PNG
    IMG_2756.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 257

big_head

Established Member
Reaction score
I kind of doubt bleaching killed your hair permanently in one go. If you repeatedly did that it might eventually kill off your follicles, if you left it in too long it could have made your hair shed for a short time, but a year and a half later you should be back to normal. It's probably some form of hairloss that's genetic. Do you have a bald/balding father? Bald uncles? Bald grandpa? If yes to any of these, it could be male pattern baldness or diffuse thinning (where you thin all over).

Of course, it's impossible to tell from the one picture you posted since the hairloss is not even visible.

But if you are worried that you're losing density, I would go see a dermatologist and explain the situation: you're losing hair. You're not sure what it's from.

I don't want to jump the gun and tell you it's male pattern baldness or some other form of genetic hairloss- you could also have problems with your thyroid (which causes thinning). I really don't know much about you, which is why, if you have the money/medical coverage, a comprehensive dermatologist visit and possibly even blood work are the only things that will give you the exact answers you want.

If you do have male pattern baldness and you are comfortable with taking finasteride (propecia) THAT should be your very first step before trying minoxidil. Finasteride is the only medication (besides dutasteride, which is kind of like super finasteride and is a last resort) that stops hairloss dead in its tracks for most men. minoxidil can regrow hair, but without finasteride, you will always lose ground.

Looking at your hair, if you indeed have a genetic form of hairloss, you have plenty left to thicken up and regrow, meaning that finasteride might be the only thing you'll ever have to take- it's just 1 pill a day.

But like I said, let's not jump to conclusions...go see a dermatologist ASAP. Don't wait any longer.

davesmith420

My Regimen
Reaction score
Post pictures of your hairline (hair lifted up) and your crown.