What exactly is lace?

CCS

Reaction score
1. What is the lace made of?
2. What color is it?
3. How strongly does it angle the hairs?
4. How small are the holes? (I assume there are holes)
5. Does glue cover your whole scalp? If so, does it keep the skin from breathing?
6. If you run your fingers over the top of the hairs, do they feel like real hair, or more like barbi doll hair?
7. If you run your fingers over the lace, along the scalp, do you feel little ridges? How noticeable if the hair is not parted?
8. If you let Nizoral 1% shampoo sit on your scalp 5 minutes while your toupee is on, will that remove the toupee? How much faster will it age?
9. What common things age/damage the piece fastest? (I'm wondering how hard it is to get 3-4 months out of one)

Thanks for the info

CCS

Reaction score
do they charge extra for custom pieces, or are they all custom shaped? How do they match the convexity of your head? Do you ever get toupees that don't curve enough, or curve too much, so the edges don't lay down right?

When I get mine, I'm going to cut off some of my hair and put it in a bag and send it to them. I'll also take pictures of my head, and measure it with a tape measure, and try to make a cured templet. Paper meshee perhaps.

mulder

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey CCS...go to toplace forum and check out the thread with 'TEMPLE TEMPLATE' in the title.

CCS

Reaction score
thanks. Yeah, I should do that instead of posting questions here. I bet I could read all I want there. I just really really wish I had not got hair grafts. I look better with them, but they are just not nearly good enough, and I spent so many thousands of dollars that could have got me lace pieces for over a decade till HM arrived.

If someone can see some lace in front, I'll just blend it with a little dermmatch. I think I can swing $150 now. If I can get a good piece for that price, and make it last 3 months at at time, I'll do it. I might even go days without it on, and just a baseball cap, just to make it last longer. Or just 6 hour stretches with it off, like when I'm home for the day. Won't be able to do that once I have a girlfriend, but I won't be complaining then.