What If We Stop Treatments Now...10 Years Later?

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
i went to my doctor 4 weeks ago and i showed him my hair...he agrees i am losing it and wrote me a script for Propecia...i ask him (to test his knowledge) if he thinks it comes from my mother or father...he said it can come from either, but 90% of the time it comes from your mothers father...thinking heavily on this when i went to my parents home and i ask my mom if she had pictures of her dad...(he died at age 48 before i was born in the Philippines)..she showed me the pictures and i thought i was going to fall out of my chair! looking at his hair at age 35 he was a norwood 2-3 and at age 47 he was still a norwood 2-3...i highly doubt they had treatments back then...this was such a shocker because i thought i got it from my dad who is a norwood 8 at age 53..also, i dont follow the same body hair pattern as my dad....he has a hairy chest and back, and i dont...he has no hair on his legs and none on his stomach, and i do..he also started his hair loss earlier than me..20..me..24..im now 25. aslo...my moms family always said i look like my grandfather?
..thinking about this information...if i stopped all hair treatment, will i only end up a norwood 2-3?
..and since me and my dad don't share the same skin/hair follicles throught our bodies...will less hair follicles be affected by DHT on top of my scalp even if i am producing just as much DHT as him?
please post what you think.. im extremely curios.. thanks

Wezz

Experienced Member
Reaction score
well my mother's father was bald and my father is nearly bald at front as well, so im f'ed both ways :roll:

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
I'm sorry but saying that it comes from your mothers father is the biggest load of crap. Any physician that still says that I wouldn't let treat a wart.

G

BadHairDecade said:
I'm sorry but saying that it comes from your mothers father is the biggest load of crap. Any physician that still says that I wouldn't let treat a wart.

BHD, my mothers father AND my fathers mother had warts, should I be concerned?

Also there has always been a lot of incest in my family, my bother is my father and his father (my cousin 'dave') is (after an extensive and costly sex change) my mother, do you think I should use T/Gel more than twice a week?

thnaks

Ty

ACT10Npack

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It comes from either side and it there is no percent that it comes more than the other. Everyone losses hair and it sucks you start to loss hair in the your 20s than your 50s.

too bald too furious

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Its not true, that hairloss is passed on from only one side of the family. It may be possible to get hair loss from your mother's father or just your father. As far as i understand, hairloss is a result of a "combination" of genes, and each of these genes in the combination may have been passed on from different sides of family. Dont go on the pictures of your mother's father, think SCIENCE :hairy:

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
nexus81 said:
Its not true, that hairloss is passed on from only one side of the family. It may be possible to get hair loss from your mother's father or just your father. As far as i understand, hairloss is a result of a "combination" of genes, and each of these genes in the combination may have been passed on from different sides of family. Dont go on the pictures of your mother's father, think SCIENCE :hairy:
i totally agree, but me and my father dont share the same skin/hair follicle count. he is much hairier than i am, and hairier guys seem to loose more? and his side of the family is hairier, and my moms side is asian..not hairy people.
even if i am producing as muck DHT as my dad, will i still loose my hair in the same pattern? even though i dont share any of his hair follicle patterns?

21gone

Established Member
Reaction score
I do not think that you can really tell what you will be like. The only way to truly tell is stop treatment and find out. I have a few friends whose grandfathers are not bald but they are balding, it really is a combo of genes for each seperate person. If you look at an old link that asks if anyone has a brother who is balding you will find that some http://www.hairlosstalk.com/discussions ... ly&t=10216
say there brothers have no signs and some that have brothers with all the signs of male pattern baldness. So I think it really all depends on you.

HairFarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
My mothers dad has great hair...

So to me that theory is a total myth..

I'm taking after my dad no matter what any doctor says...

Bowling ball lid.. :wink:

Hpower

Established Member
Reaction score
tynanW said:
Hpower said:
but me and my father dont share the same skin/hair follicle count.

what does your mail delivery man look like?

See i'm a little different than most people...my moms from the Philippines and my dad is French. I have my moms hair, thick, straight and black. Like most full asians, i cant grow a full beard and i'm not really hairy, but my dad can grow a massive beard and is hairy?
This is why I question my genes? and if it is from my dad, in the end, will I follow his hair loss pattern?