What is RU?

twhacker888

Reaction score
I've been reading quite a few posts that mention RU. I have gathered that it is some sort of mixture that you make on your own and that it is a DHT blocker that doesnt give you the sexual side effects of finasteride

I googled searched it and nothing came up explaining what it was.

Can anyone fill me in?

Finnjävel

Established Member
Reaction score
You can't get it anywhere, and there's no articles about it anywhere, thus it's probably just a big hoax.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rival said:
Its a powder that you purchase from a supplier. The powder is then mixed with pure alcohol and propylene glycol and it is applied to your scalp which stops hair-loss.

Let's be a little more precise about it: RU58841 is a specific chemical compound which has been described in considerable detail in several medical journal articles and studies. It has shown great promise as being an excellent topical antiandrogen (which means it binds to androgen receptors); it does that without being systemically absorbed to any great extent, which means that it should work well as a topical agent to stop hair loss.

The stuff is rather expensive to produce, and can only be synthesized by serious chemical companies; one of the substances used in its chemical synthesis is phosgene, which is an indication of how serious it is to produce (CAUTION!). Let the real professionals deal with manufacturing the stuff.

twhacker888

Reaction score
The whole brain fog thing sounds kinda of scary especially since I drive a truck for a living but it sounds like a better trade of than getting man boobs and losing your sex drive.

Also buying from just some random dealer sounds a little sketchy as well.

So this is pretty much a more powerful version of the spironolactone creme?

If it is so good why hasn't any company started manufacturing it?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
twhacker888 said:
So this is pretty much a more powerful version of the spironolactone creme?

Yes. I can show you studies in which topical spironolactone was applied to hamster flank-organs, and the largest suppression was something on the order of around 30% or so. Then I'll show you other studies in which topical RU58841 was applied to hamster flank-organs, and the largest suppression was around 60% or so. That's why I like to say that RU58841 is about TWICE as effective as spironolactone: it can have about TWICE the actual biological effect as spironolactone, when both are applied topically! :)

I can also show you a study in which RU58841 was described as having a "castration-like effect" where physically applied in experimental animals. I don't think you'll ever find that same statement made about topical spironolactone! :)

twhacker888 said:
If it is so good why hasn't any company started manufacturing it?

That's a question that's been asked and discussed a hell of a lot, over the years. In my opinion, it's because no company is willing to spend ENORMOUS amounts of $$$ for FDA approval for it as a drug, especially considering the disappointing financial results for Rogaine and Propecia over the years. Drug companies couldn't care less about its popularity with a few people on hairloss sites, all they care about is finding some new drug which will make them BIG BUCKS with lots and lots of people.

Ttal914

Reaction score
[
I can also show you a study in which RU58841 was described as having a "castration-like effect" where physically applied in experimental animals.

What does this mean?