What is this NuHair stuff?

CodeUD

Reaction score
So the other day I was browsing the hair products section at a local CVS and noticed this line of products called NuHair, right next to minoxidil and thickening shampoos. I am not sure how the link policy works here, but if you just type in the name of the product in google, it should pull their page right up. I tried searching the threads here, but didn't see anything.

Guys, what do you think, is it something interesting and worthy of a shot, or just random vitamins, minerals, and herbs thrown together that will only affect my bank account and not my hair?

evolutionary

Reaction score
Just expensive Saw Palmetto I'm afraid. There's tons of debate on whether SP is an effective hair loss remedy, just do a search and you'll find that out. If you do want to try it out, you can just go to the herbal/vitamin section of any drug store and find SP way cheaper than what you get with the formulations listed in NuHair.

CodeUD

Reaction score
I guess they are trying to pimp this Chinese herb - He Shou Wu? It's supposed to help regrow your hair and prevent/reverse going gray. Anyone heard about that one?

And I have been taking Saw Palmetto, Nettle Root, Pumpkin Seed, L-Lysine, Omega-3s, and Beta Sitosterol for over 6 months now, complementing it with Nizoral (over the counter kind) twice a week. It hasn't been working well, or at all. So, I am ready to go on Propecia. Just wanted to explore some of the things that have less of a chance affecting my libido.

evolutionary

Reaction score
Definitely haven't heard of He Shou Wu before this product, but I would hesitate to count on that being the fountain of youth that they advertise.

God speed on the natural regimen you're using, hope it works better for you, but I think you have the right mentality with giving Propecia a shot. Do a search on some of the measures that HairLossTalk.com members have used to counter the libido issues, as that may help you out if you are apart of the minority that experiences them. I am actually going to be using finasteride for a 3rd go-round shortly, though it's in the Xandrox 15 Plus topical formulation.

CCS

Reaction score
Saw palmetto has some free faty acids in it. Not a lot, but more than most oils. This can reduce 5ar1 activity slightly, but is much less likely to reduce 5ar2 activity. It also has betasisterol, which is a weak androgen receptor blocker. It is this ingredient that helps the prostate, but can give you gyno too. Might be safe topically, but Micheal Berry tested it on his body hair, and found such a profound reduction that he thinks it is not only an androgen receptor blocker, but is also hard on hair in general, and may harm head hair.

I would stay away from saw palmetto. If the stuff has any high concentration, it should stink very bad.