What kills me about football (USA: soccer)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Diving.

[youtube:24jti4uw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbU1ChcHBA&feature=related[/youtube:24jti4uw]

I've given football a fair shake, and I'll continue to watch it, but these attempts to gain an unfair advantage by FAKING injury is repulsive. Where's the sportsmanship?

Football is riddled with this unfair where's-my-mommy style of play. How can you, the fans, support your team knowing that they're committing a foul on par with cheating?

Shameful.

th_trollface.png

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I've been saying for years that American football is simply inherently more exciting than soccer. There's less of that silliness going on, and more of the real and exciting action.

squeegee

Banned
Reaction score
They are both different sports.period. They are both fun to watch and play.

Nene

Reaction score
Bryan said:
That's why I've been saying for years that American football is simply inherently more exciting than soccer. There's less of that silliness going on, and more of the real and exciting action.

That's ridiculous. They are both good sports, one is not inherently more exciting than the other, that is completely subjective.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
aussieavodart said:
sport...............

what a stupid thing to waste your time with!
That's why you grow man boobs! (along with Dutasteride) :woot:
*just kidding*

Well, it's still #1 sport in the world.
In Europe, we don't make love to guns like most US people do. People are different.

EasyEd

Established Member
Reaction score
Cassin said:
aussieavodart said:
sport...............

what a stupid thing to waste your time with!
you have to "waste" time on something. However I seem to care less about sports weekly as life goes on.

Me too. I have a 1 year old little boy that takes my mind off of anything that goes wrong. When the Patriots lost yesterday, I looked over and he was sticking his little hands into the potato chip bowl and when our eyes met, he gave me this look like "What's the big deal, just let me have a couple". Took my mind off the game right away.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Diving is a contentious issue....

In Hispanic countries and Southern Europe it is practically encouraged and heavy contact tackles are frowned upon, but in Northern Europe, where soccer was invented (i.e. U.K.) diving is illegal and punishable by a yellow card, hard tackles are encouraged and if your leg gets broken then you're expected to take it like a man...

You have to remember soccer is a truly international game with many different interpretations on rules as opposed to american football which is based solely on the NFL.

Personally I find it very difficult playing football (soccer) with spanish or portuguese guys for example, because they moan at the slightest bit of contact, while as in the UK and Ireland we just quit bitching and get on with the game.

Shma

Established Member
Reaction score
Primo said:
...hard tackles are encouraged and if your leg gets broken then you're expected to take it like a man...
:stupid:

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Shma said:
Primo said:
...hard tackles are encouraged and if your leg gets broken then you're expected to take it like a man...
:stupid:

:smack:

Obviously I didn't mean that literally. I was merely illustrating the point that diving is a cultural thing... for Mediterranean and Hispanic players it's very acceptable, for Northern European players it's not! So there;s no point trying to generalise soccer because it's an international game, unlike the very sterile NFL.

dresden

Established Member
Reaction score
That's not really true. I'm not sure if you have the right idea. In southern european countries you get a yellow card if you dive too. People don't like that at all. You also see serious injuries all the time and there are very hard tackles going on. In every country any player will take any advantage he can, even in England. No player will ever tell the referee it wasnt really penalty for his side.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Look, don't take me for an english fan, I think football in England is flawed in many ways... but diving is NOT an english invention, it has become a regular custom now however because the english league is mostly filled with foreign players who enjoy diving and play acting..

Southern European football is technical and skillful, Northern European football is fast and very physical.

I understand what you're saying about players doing anything to get an advantage for their team, but Southern European/Hispanic players take it to another extreme with their ridiculous play acting!

[youtube:2hfd7k5f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmy7fcv9U8&feature=related[/youtube:2hfd7k5f]

[youtube:2hfd7k5f]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgfRCa71Kmw[/youtube:2hfd7k5f]