What oils may actually work to regrow hair on the crown

burning

Reaction score
Are there any oils that will actually help regrow hair on the crown/vertex? I have been reading a lot about emu oil, stinging nettle oil, rosemary oil,
castor oil and some other oils. Will these actually work?

And if so which are the best to try or what combinations would work well together?

- - - Updated - - -

I'm ready to dump anything in a bottle on my head at this point. Does anyone have
any suggestions??

I'm thinking of taking my hair from the drain and using some elmer's glue to put it back, unless, of course,
someone could please help me with figuring out the effectiveness of using natural oils, like argan oil, rosemary oil,
etc. to regrow hair.

anyone?

israelite

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Indian oils and powders are just amazing . I love amla , bhringari , Brahmi powders . Sesa oil is very good

maher

Banned
Reaction score
pumpkin seed oil oraly. or topically- but its a mess.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2809240/

i find this very interesting. i know its about prostate but it surely affects scalp as well.

"According to Braeckman's study (1994), oral doses of saw palmetto oil 160 mg twice daily for 3 months improved IPSS about 22% after 45 days and 35% at 90 days. This was comparable with our result in which group B (33.8%) and group C (33.2%) showed similar improvement after 3 months. In the study by Bach (2000), 12-month pumpkin seed treatment improved the IPSS at least 5 points and overall improvement of 64.8%. In a double-blind randomized trial that compared the effects of saw palmetto (320 mg/day) with 5-α-reductase inhibitor (5 mg/day), the IPSS was declined by 37% and 39%, respectively (Carraro et al., 1996) after 6 months of treatment. Hisashi et al. (2005) reported a significant linear relationship between IPSS and QoL score, a finding in agreement with our own, in which IPSS was correlated exactly with QoL score. Both IPSS and QoL score tended to decline significantly at the 3rd month of treatment in our study, a finding similar to that of other researchers (Nickel, 1998; Willetts et al., 2003)."

burning

Reaction score
I started having a prostate problem at the same time my hair started jumping ship, and so I was researching a lot about prostate issues and things I could take and have noticed nearly everything
that works for prostate also effects DHT in scalp to some degree as well, saw palmetto, stinging nettle leaf, pygeum, and I find out about pumpkin seed oil.

Saw Palmetto has worked really well for my prostate issue the last two months. If anything, pumpkin seed oil (internally) will help too.

Who know about hash oil/cannabis oil, perhaps there are some receptor sites there...

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
in alopecia areata can be useful this oils
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9828867
there is the full free study
[h=1]Randomized trial of aromatherapy. Successful treatment for alopecia areata.[/h]Hay IC, Jamieson M, Ormerod AD.
[h=3]Source[/h]Department of Dermatology, Aberdeen Royal Infirmary, Foresterhill, Scotland. ad.ormerod@abdn.ac.uk

[h=3]Abstract[/h][h=4]OBJECTIVE:[/h]To investigate the efficacy of aromatherapy in the treatment of patients with alopecia areata.
[h=4]DESIGN:[/h]A randomized, double-blind, controlled trial of 7 months' duration, with follow-up at 3 and 7 months.
[h=4]SETTING:[/h]Dermatology outpatient department.
[h=4]PARTICIPANTS:[/h]Eighty-six patients diagnosed as having alopecia areata.
[h=4]INTERVENTION:[/h]Eighty-six patients were randomized into 2 groups. The active group massaged essential oils (thyme, rosemary, lavender, and cedarwood) in a mixture of carrier oils (jojoba and grapeseed) into their scalp daily. The control group used only carrier oils for their massage, also daily.
[h=4]MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:[/h]Treatment success was evaluated on sequential photographs by 2 dermatologists (I.C.H. and A.D.O.) independently. Similarly, the degree of improvement was measured by 2 methods: a 6-point scale and computerized analysis of traced areas of alopecia.
[h=4]RESULTS:[/h]Nineteen (44%) of 43 patients in the active group showed improvement compared with 6 (15%) of 41 patients in the control group (P = .008). An alopecia scale was applied by blinded observers on sequential photographs and was shown to be reproducible with good interobserver agreement (kappa = 0.84). The degree of improvement on photographic assessment was significant (P = .05). Demographic analysis showed that the 2 groups were well matched for prognostic factors.
[h=4]CONCLUSIONS:[/h]The results show aromatherapy to be a safe and effective treatment for alopecia areata. Treatment with these essential oils was significantly more effective than treatment with the carrier oil alone (P = .008 for the primary outcome measure). We also successfully applied an evidence-based method to an alternative therapy.