What On Earth Is The Lifetime Of A Dermastamp?

lostandfind

Reaction score
I've been considering adding dermastamp to my regimen. In my country there's been a similar tool used to treat hairloss but I think a dermastamp would be better. But people told me a dermastamp should be used only once and not for future use due to the infection risk.

However I've been thinking if I sterilize my dermastamp with medical alcohol everytime before and after using, the infection risk is quite low, right? BTW, the topical I've been using also contains medical alcohol, which may further lower the infection risk.

What do you guys think of my sterilization plan? If it's OK, how many times can a dermastamp be used before replacing for a new one? Your opinion is appreciated.

Last edited:

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i've used my dermaroller for a long time. I rinse it with 91% isopropyl and also leave the roller part sitting in isopropyl while not using it and only use it on a clean scalp, nothing bad has happened so far. I'd be more worried about the needles dulling over time than not being able to sterilize it properly, mine has gotten more painful to use probably because of the needles dulling so it's time for a new one.

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i've used my dermaroller for a long time. I rinse it with 91% isopropyl and also leave the roller part sitting in isopropyl while not using it and only use it on a clean scalp, nothing bad has happened so far. I'd be more worried about the needles dulling over time than not being able to sterilize it properly, mine has gotten more painful to use probably because of the needles dulling so it's time for a new one.

Do you have success with it?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
That will disinfect but not sterilize, so you still run the risk of introducing pathogenic bacteria or virus into your skin.

lostandfind

Reaction score
How long approximately have you been using dermaroller and what's the frequency of using? Most impotantly, how's it working for you?

That will disinfect but not sterilize, so you still run the risk of introducing pathogenic bacteria or virus into your skin.
So you mean it'd best not to use one dermaroller or dermastamp repeatedly? Do you also use them?

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't, which is one of the reasons I'm considering getting a Dermapen because it has needles you replace for each procedure. Also, to get an optimal (no micro tearing) penetration and ideal closure afterwards, you want sharp, single use needles. But, you can get liquid sterilants as they use in medicine and dentistry for instruments that can't be autoclaved. Since you're not sharing a dermaroller or dermastamp you could probably get by with soaking in bleach, betadyne, chlorhexidine, barbicide, etc. And clean your skin first at least by washing it then a good wiping with sterile saline.

lostandfind

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't, which is one of the reasons I'm considering getting a Dermapen because it has needles you replace for each procedure. Also, to get an optimal (no micro tearing) penetration and ideal closure afterwards, you want sharp, single use needles. But, you can get liquid sterilants as they use in medicine and dentistry for instruments that can't be autoclaved. Since you're not sharing a dermaroller or dermastamp you could probably get by with soaking in bleach, betadyne, chlorhexidine, barbicide, etc. And clean your skin first at least by washing it then a good wiping with sterile saline.
Very informative. Actually I also considered using an electric dermapen until I saw two links posted in the forum warning of skin micro tearing.
http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/dermapen-causes-skin-micro-tearing/
http://owndoc.com/dermarolling/derma-pen-review/
What do you think of the content? I find it hard to target a good electric dermapen in my country which 100% won't cause micro tearing and can pierce with right depth in the scalp with right frequency. Maybe an electric dermapen which even causes micro tearing is better than a manual dermastamp, or not? I'm not sure.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
Vaughter receives considerable criticism on the internet and of course they are selling their own product. But aside from that, the Dermapen has its merits and it is approved for medical use in the USA as the Dermapen 2. Since you are not in the USA, you may be able to get the medical version of the Dermaroller which is OK too in my opinion. I think it's Dermaroller.de
I do not think the medical grade Dermapen causes any microtearing despite Vaughter's claim.

lostandfind

Reaction score
Vaughter receives considerable criticism on the internet and of course they are selling their own product. But aside from that, the Dermapen has its merits and it is approved for medical use in the USA as the Dermapen 2. Since you are not in the USA, you may be able to get the medical version of the Dermaroller which is OK too in my opinion. I think it's Dermaroller.de
I do not think the medical grade Dermapen causes any microtearing despite Vaughter's claim.
Got it. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------

Is there anybody else who's been using a dermastamp repeatedly on a sterilization basis? Pls let me know how many times you use it before replacing for a new one.