What percentage of DHT does finasteride reduce it down to ?

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how much DHT is suppressed by finasteride.

I read somewhere that its approx 38%. Is 38% suppression good enough ?

Also, I would like to know if all humans produce DHT in their scalps, but balding men just produce more of it ? or balding men produce DHT in their scalps only and non-balding men do not produce DHT at all. Which is it ?

Thanks guys

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
60% DHT suppression in the scalp ???

Do you mean 60% suppression of DHT created by Alpha-5-reductase II ??

IF so, then that sounds more reasonable.

Coz if DHT in the scalp was 70% from alpha-5-reductase II and 30% from Alpha-5-reductase I, the it would seem reasonable.

Given that finasteride only inhibits alpha-5-reductase II and reduces the overall scalp DTH by 38%, so we know that those 38% suppressed DHT are the product of alpha-5-reductase II. Therefore, more than half of the 70% DHT created by alpha-5-reductase II is suppressed.

Am I right people.

Need opinions please.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
1) All humans produce DHT in their scalps.

2) It's uncertain exactly how much finasteride reduces scalp DHT. Different studies have produced different numbers for that. One recent study found about a 70% reduction.

3) male pattern baldness is more strongly associated with the type 2 enzyme than the type 1 enzyme, anyway, so I wouldn't be terribly concerned with "scalp DHT". I'm more concerned with follicular DHT.

Bryan

unluckystat

Reaction score
noorur said:
and what is follicular DHT ?

The follicle's susceptibility to DHT, in regards to DHT's ability to slow the hair growth process.

everysixseconds

Established Member
Reaction score
hairloss is so gay....

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
so different people have different resistances against DHT ??

someone answer please!

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
noorur said:
and what is follicular DHT ?

The DHT within hair follicle cells.

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
noorur said:
so, theres' no way to inhibit these DHT ??

Of course there is. Propecia, Avodart, or any other 5a-reductase inhibitor.

Bryan

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my regime is 1/4 proscar and revivogen.

do you think this combo inhibits DHT by more than 80% ??

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
It's uncertain exactly how much finasteride reduces scalp DHT. Different studies have produced different numbers for that. One recent study found about a 70% reduction.

Bryan

is that 70% reduction of scalp DHT ? can you please send me the link ?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
J Am Acad Dermatol. 1999 Oct;41(4):550-4.

"The effects of finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgen levels in men with androgenetic alopecia"

Drake L, Hordinsky M, Fiedler V, Swinehart J, Unger WP, Cotterill PC, Thiboutot DM, Lowe N, Jacobson C, Whiting D, Stieglitz S, Kraus SJ, Griffin EI, Weiss D, Carrington P, Gencheff C, Cole GW, Pariser DM, Epstein ES, Tanaka W, Dallob A, Vandormael K, Geissler L, Waldstreicher J.

University of Oklahoma Health Sciences, Oklahoma City, USA.

BACKGROUND: Data suggest that androgenetic alopecia is a process dependent on dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and type 2 5alpha-reductase. Finasteride is a type 2 5alpha-reductase inhibitor that has been shown to slow further hair loss and improve hair growth in men with androgenetic alopecia. OBJECTIVE: We attempted to determine the effect of finasteride on scalp skin and serum androgens. METHODS: Men with androgenetic alopecia (N = 249) underwent scalp biopsies before and after receiving 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, or 5 mg daily of finasteride or placebo for 42 days. RESULTS: Scalp skin DHT levels declined significantly by 13.0% with placebo and by 14.9%, 61.6%, 56. 5%, 64.1%, and 69.4% with 0.01, 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg doses of finasteride, respectively. Serum DHT levels declined significantly (P <.001) by 49.5%, 68.6%, 71.4%, and 72.2% in the 0.05, 0.2, 1, and 5 mg finasteride treatment groups, respectively. CONCLUSION: In this study, doses of finasteride as low as 0.2 mg per day maximally decreased both scalp skin and serum DHT levels. These data support the rationale used to conduct clinical trials in men with male pattern hair loss at doses of finasteride between 0.2 and 5 mg.

noorur

Established Member
Reaction score
ok
thanks alot for your help

since finasteride 1mg reduces scalp DHT by approx 65%, and that 5AR-2 produced DHT makes up 70% of scalp DHT, does this mean that only 5% of 5AR-2 produced DHT is left on the scalp ?

Thanks alot for your help Bryan.