What size are spironolactone 100mg tablets?

CCS

Reaction score
I just got my spironolactone 25mg tablets. They are 6mm circles 2mm thick, and are orange colored, with a citrus smell.

Apoc

Established Member
Reaction score
No spironolactone is a diuretic in tablet form. minoxidil also originaly comes in a tablet form under the name Loniten.

CCS

Reaction score
I'm going to make my own topical with it. Much cheaper that way, and I can use the best ingredients. I just want to know which size has more filler in it.

beaner

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
I'm going to make my own topical with it. Much cheaper that way, and I can use the best ingredients. I just want to know which size has more filler in it.

From what I've read on old posts, the 25 mg tablets have more filler...I think the 100 mg pills are pretty much the same size or not much bigger...i'm sure Bryan knows..bump.

CCS

Reaction score
i think he said in a previous post that they weight 400mg, but i'm not sure. if he said that, then i don't need to know the size. I just have to find that post.

I strongly doubt my pills weight half that much. i can easily find out, though.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
No, my generic Spirotone tablets (containing 100 mg of spironolactone) weigh 500 mg.

Bryan

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score

Can I make a topical spironolactone with Dermovan and spironolactone tablets??

Where can I get Dermovan??

CCS

Reaction score
yes you can. you can ask your pharmacy to special order it, or you can do a search for collegechemistrystudent and dermavan and bryan and find the post I copied from bryan off HLH and posted here somewhere. it is about $22 with shipping for 16 oz.

i don't want to use it because i don't want the filler making my head look all pasty. i'd rather extract the spironolactone and have it go on clear like minoxidil does.

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
I have found bryan post few years ago.

http://www.hairsite4.com/dc/dcboard.php ... full#26362

Here's a copy-paste of how I make my 3% Dermovan-based spironolactone cream (you can alter the number of tablets to turn it into 5%, but I recommend sticking with 3%):

--------------------------------------------------------------
Here's how I make my handy-dandy Dermovan-based 3% spironolactone cream:

I only make 20 grams at a time, because of potential odor problems from larger amounts sitting around unused. (I personally have never had any problems with this, but why take a chance?)

I use a 50 ml glass beaker for mixing, which is ideal for this purpose. I've previously marked the beaker at the 20 ml point, so I just fill it to this point with an even level of Dermovan (we're not mixing rocket fuel for the Space Shuttle; it doesn't have to be exact). Next I take six 100 mg spironolactone tablets and finely powder them with a mortar and pestle, then add the powder to the beaker. I thoroughly mix it by stirring with a small kitchen knife. It's amazing how well the powder is "dissolved" into the Dermovan. The resulting mixture is absolutely smooth and homogeneous, with no detectable traces of tablet excipients.

Afterwards, I scoop the contents out of the beaker using the kitchen knife and deposit it into my storage container, which is an empty 25 ml Proxiphen vial (also perfect for this purpose). I keep it in the refrigerator.

The whole process is cheap, fast, and fun. No fuss, no muss.

Bryan

If I get it right it takes 20 ml Dermovan and
six 100 mg spironolactone tablets to make spironolactone 3%.

If I would want to make 5% spironolactone ,I should use 10
tablets ,right?

As you know Bryan posted a study few years ago ,
about the alcoholic version.

http://www.geocities.com/bryan50001/spironolactone.html

Well, there you have it! The cream version seemed
to perform better. In fact, the alcoholic version may
not have performed AT ALL!
:-( What's interesting
is that they used a spironolactone concentration in both vehicles
of only 1%; and what's very strange is the fact that the
cream vehicle made the hirsutism WORSE. That's food
for thought.

Bryan

Well ,Dermovan has alcohol in it ,would it still be effective?

IDOASIS

Established Member
Reaction score
yes you can. you can ask your pharmacy to special order it, or you can do a search for collegechemistrystudent and dermavan and bryan and find the post I copied from bryan off HLH and posted here somewhere. it is about $22 with shipping for 16 oz.

I didnt find Bryan link ,but I did find another link.

http://www.squaremeds.com/searchmedication.asp

Some more vanishing creams

http://hocks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc ... egory_Code

http://www.e45.com/main.asp?pid=3318