What the Follicle!? Strange Situation

Lawrence85

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'll cut to the chase, I have no idea what's going on with my hair. For all intents and purposes I'm balding. Only up top around my crown, about a palm sized section separated in two by a strip of strong hairs. It's noticeable, people point it out, and I shave my head because of it. Not really that big a deal because I've kept my hair really short before and shaving it wasn't a dramatic change.

After years of being bald I decided enough was enough and I needed to stop being limited to my hair style because of a stupid bald spot. I let my hair grow for a few weeks and it was terrible. There was no covering it up and I got teased a few times (I'm 27, healthy, and no cosmetic issues otherwise. People didn't understand why I'd been balding since I was 23, my family included). As much as I resisted shaving again, I knew all was lost until I tried one of the many remedies I've read about on here. Then I could retry growing it out.

This is the strange part: I decided it best not to razor shave again. If I were to give my hair a fighting chance to regrow, I'd better not be clipping too close to whatever root it may have. I don't know if that's true, but that's what I told myself. No razors!

So after few weeks of buzzing my head (still very short to mask the bald spot for a few days before it's noticeable) I catch a glimpse of my head on a security monitor. I looked closer to see how noticeable my spot was, being a few days late on my haircut.

NO BALD SPOT!!

I blew it off though, the resolution wasn't the best so I figured I'd check when I got home. And when I did, I was shocked! I couldn't even tell I was having an issue.

Apparently the hair in my bald spot grow EXTREMELY slow, but most of it is there. It's still just stubble but that's way better than the smooth, shiny skin I was used to seeing for the past four years. I think if I let it continue to grow it'll still look a bit thin but only on close inspection. I'll keep the rest of my hair as short as the new growth until I can style it all, or that's the plan anyway.

So I'm here to ask... what the heck!? I don't want to get my hopes up incase this is just peach fuzz I'm getting excited about that won't grow much longer, or a common occurrence of bald spots to grow hairs that eventually fall out as well. I really don't know what my hair is up to, and needed some men with experience in balding and regaining their hair to help set me straight.

One note before I turn it over to you: while I was growing my hair out a few months ago, I brushed it a lot as a part of the style I wanted to eventually have. I heard (word of mouth, never a forum or medical advice) that brushing could stimulate the scalp and promote growth. No idea if this is the case or if something else has happened here. I just know that I developed a bald spot, shaved my head AFTER the bald spot appeared, stopped shaving my head years later, bald spot started to disappear.

Thanks for everything in advance! Good news or bad I'm hopeful someone here has answers!

TD500

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So you managed to grow peach fuzz in a area that was slick bald?

Possible to post a picture of your hair?