What the hell happened to me's story

WhatHappenedtoMe

Reaction score
ok here is my story...i'll try and keep it short...any ANY feedback I can recevie from members of this forum would be GREATLY appreciated

let me preface my story by saying nothing has been exaggerated. it does me no good to over amplify my conditions anyway if I am looking for honest advice and counsel.

Last October (2006), I noticed many hairs falling out when i was showering. This literally started happending overnight. One night fine, next massive shedding. The term I used to describe it to my derm was "hair mittens". The first derm said it was Telogen Effluvium, and gave me some Nizoral for mild dandruff, and told me to wait it out for 6 months.

Fast forward to Feb 07, still exreme hair shedding, but now it is persistent over the course fo the entire day. My average hair loss wouild number 500 per day, I know b/c I would take count 3x day. Once in the AM when I combed my hair (50-100), 1x at end of work day on desk (200-300), and 1x on shower drain (50-100). Plus, now my dandruff had become very severe seborrheic dermatitis covering my entire scalp. I went back to the same derm, who said the same thing, that it was Telogen Effluvium and gave me more medicated shampoos.

After a few more weeks of zero improvement, I went to a second derm, who said the same thing. Telogen Effluvium w/seb. derm and to wait it out b/c sometimes it takes up to 12months to recover.

In July, I went back having now been plagued with this problem for 10 months with little improvement. He took a biopsy this time and bloodwork to relieve my stress, and it was confirmed P Ozale was present on my scalp and a very severe case of seb. derm was the result. He stopped short of saying this was the cause of my hairloss. Keep in mind my hair has become very thin all over with my temples and crown suffering the worst.

At this time, I decided to go to a third derm for another opinion. This derm. said I was suffering from male pattern baldness and told me to go on Rogaine ASAP. he sucked though, was right out of med school, and did not even take a look at my folder and priors. I did not put much value into his diagnosis but...I did go back to the second derm. and had him prescribe me Propecia, which I've been on since beg. August.

Also, around the same time as starting Propecia, I found an article on the benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar for SD and started applying it every night. WOW, this stuff really works. Almost immediately my scalp started peeling off the seb. derm layers that the shampoos had been unable to break through. It soudns really disgusting, and it is. For the last few weeks I have had to go everywhere with a hat on b/c I am shedding huge pieces of scalp. The pieces are so thick that is looks as though the hairs would not be able to break through it. Is this possible? Could this have been causing my hair loss?

However, somewhat tempering my enthusiasm is the fact that I am still losing many many hairs every day. With my scalp almost back to normal, should this still be the case?

Has anyone gone through something similar to this? If so, can you provide any insight?

Please help, I just want my hair to return to normal. If not grow back, maybe just thicken up? Is there any hope or have I done irreversible damage?

:cry:

hairforce9

Established Member
Reaction score
Ill start off by saying i dont really know if this will help but here goes.

In my case i broke up with my ex in June of 06. then in Aug of 06 I noticed I was shedding excessive amounts of hair particularly in the shower and in no time i could see my scalp through my hair, before i couldnt see scalp regardless of how much gel was in my hair. Anyways i though I had Telogen Effluvium so i didnt do anything immediately. Then in May of 07 because i was still shedding i started rogaine, I choose rogaine first because i still thought i had Telogen Effluvium and rogaine is suppose to speed up the healing process. Rogaine cut my shedding down substatially however starting month five on rogiane im shedding once again but still not as bad as i use to. Im giving rogiane 2 more months then im starting propecia.
From my experience i wish i started rogaine earlier and then jumped on propecia if i didnt get the results i wanted.

In your case if you do have Telogen Effluvium it should reverse however some people have chronic Telogen Effluvium which may take longer. Further keep in mide Telogen Effluvium can either ignight or accelerate male pattern baldness. Did you have a stressfull incident prior to shedding?

as for your scalp condition you can try extra strenght T-GEL and rotate that with Nizoral.

WhatHappenedtoMe

Reaction score
rogaine add to the mix?

can i add Rogaine if I still have a scalp condition? If my seb. derm is not gone, i think the treatment would me a waste...

will rogaine work on my temples? does anything work on temples?

WhatHappenedtoMe

Reaction score
oh yeah

no stressful insident or inciting factor that i can think of...

back in April of 06 i changed job, went to Mexico, where i only drank beer and ate tacos for a week, got zero sleep, and a horribly bad sunburn from passing out on the beach...but all this happened 6 months prior to my hairloss start!

hairforce9

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, the hairline is the hardest area to regrow hair. I dont have receded temples but my hairline has thinned so im having problems with that area also. Rogaine foam is suppose to be your best option for frontal hairloss. For me rogaine caused my skin to peel in quarter large sheets but this stoped within 2 weeks. Rogaine also caused my scalp to itch which alsot stopped within 2 weeks, however if i irritate my scalp then my scalp does get a bit itchy. As for your scalp condition, rogaine creates dead skin on my scalp and i dont like the idea of rogaine being absorbed by the dead skin instead of my scalp so what i do is i take a fine tooth comb and i scrap my scalp twice a week to remove that dead skin stuff maybe you can do that too???

you have to keep in mind these meds work differently from person to person my symptoms may not be the same as your and people respond differently to these meds as some get better results then others. youll never know until you try. If you include rogaine you already have propecia and nizoral the combination of these 3 is famously known as THE BIG 3 which are your best tools in combating male pattern baldness. so try it and make sure you give this meds at least a full year before you judge them. and on a further note these meds may increase shedding which can also occur in intervals so you will have to hang in there. It may seem like your hair took a step back but that the way these meds work. For all you know u may be shedding because of propecia as many do but give it time and it should subside. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

RaginDemon

Reaction score
did you have your blood work and hormone test done?

WhatHappenedtoMe

Reaction score
demon...

yes, i had my derm do everything...hormones fine...bloodwork turned out normal...each derm did the bloodwork, and they all came back fine, so i know it isn't any diet or nutritional imbalance...

honestly, is it normal for male pattern baldness to come on this quickly?

this time last year my hair was thick, fine, no shedding at all

RaginDemon

Reaction score
Re: demon...

WhatHappenedtoMe said:
yes, i had my derm do everything...hormones fine...bloodwork turned out normal...each derm did the bloodwork, and they all came back fine, so i know it isn't any diet or nutritional imbalance...

honestly, is it normal for male pattern baldness to come on this quickly?

this time last year my hair was thick, fine, no shedding at all

Have you tested DHT?

RaginDemon

Reaction score
WhatHappenedtoMe said:
no what exactly does that entail? would that be part of a normal blood test?

It is not covered in a normal blood test, I believe one will have to pay for it himself/herself.

If your DHT is over the upper range, then your hair loss might be most likely caused by it.