What to do please help!!!!!!!

redstar24

Reaction score
Hello all. Let me just say I think this is a great site.

I am 28 and for the last coupe of years have noticed a progressively recending hairline. Overall thickness has minimally decreased at mostI. have read many of your posts with various regimens, and was wondering if you all had some adivice. In general most people seem to say initially pick one thing and stick with it, but Im not quite sure.

Seems as most are happy wiht finasteride but I am worried about the side effects. For my case most say minoxidil doesnt really do the trick, and Im not sure its apllication direction are quite feasable for me (work,etc) . I must mention cost is also an issue for me, Im not sure I would even be able to afford the "big 3" regimen that seems to be so popular. Stuff like spironolactone and dua if have seen menitoned- havent done much research on the but it seems like thry are for more svere cases.

I was think of starting out with simple and topical like revivogen, what do you think?? Also any timelined on positive results for any treatments you mention would help

Any advice would be appreciated and happy thanksgivig to all!!!

viperfish

Reaction score
If you really want good results you are going to have to go with finasteride, minoxidil, or nizoral. Actually someone just posted a recent study on here concerning minoxidil's effectiveness on the hairline. It seems it is quite effective. That might be something to consider. Also I would recommend nizoral at least once per week.

redstar24

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!!!

Do you reccommend all 3 right off the bat or should I start with one forst??

Also any ideas on where to get these for a good price and do i need a perscription ( for finasteride and nizoral)

Thanks

pleasehelpme

Established Member
Reaction score
many people use all three...

nizoral 1% finasteride and minoxidil can be obtained without a prescription.

i buy my stuff from walgreens... but your local pharmacy should be the place for affordable purchases.

i personally do not use finasteride. at the moment but Propecia 1 mg is more pricey than Proscar(generic) which comes by 5mg per pill.. what people do is approximate the cuts and cut the pill into fifths.

good luck! sorry i dont know much since im a newbie but i hope this helped

jimmystanley

Experienced Member
Reaction score
none of them really work for what we are looking for...and if they do work it won't last for long.

Buffboy

Established Member
Reaction score
jimmystanley said:
none of them really work for what we are looking for...and if they do work it won't last for long.

Thanks for the encouragement.

misterium

Reaction score
"work for what we are looking for" ?

do you mean none of those treatments do really well for the hairline or as treatments in general?

i'm a diffuse thinner, crown/vertex only.. hairline in tact.

i'm 27 and i caught my hairloss pretty early on.

been taking Propecia for into 5 months now... not using minoxidil.

i use nizoral on occassion. not sure if i like it cause i think it causes me further itching (i think Propecia causes me itching too)

i'm gonna hold off for the said 'year' or so, before deciding if i want to add minoxidil.

redstar24

Reaction score
So should I just go with finasteride or proscar at first???? If so any ideas where to get them for a decent price???

Seems as if most people are saying just start with finasteride first because it mike worlk on its own.

Any ideas on revivogen??
Thanks

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
A good rule to go by is use what's proven to work first.
Finasteride, minoxidil or both. If those fail then resort the the less proven treatments like Revivogen, Copper Pepetides, spironolactone and so on.

BHD

mvpsoft

Experienced Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
Finasteride, minoxidil or both. If those fail then resort the the less proven treatments like Revivogen, Copper Pepetides, spironolactone and so on.
I agree with that, with the caveat that I would use Nizoral with any regime, unless it negatively affects my scalp, and I would use a copper peptide with any regime. Copper is proven for skin health, and scalp health is an important part of combatting hair loss.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
mvpsoft said:
BadHairDecade said:
I agree with that, with the caveat that I would use Nizoral with any regime, unless it negatively affects my scalp, and I would use a copper peptide with any regime. Copper is proven for skin health, and scalp health is an important part of combatting hair loss.

:doh: What was i thinking. How could I leave out my good friend Nizoral :eek:opsblush:

G

jimmystanley said:

They do work to an extent. You just have to realise that you won't end up like Don King. Hair has been proven to be the most difficult things to grow back. The only thing that you can really expect is to maintain what you have using finasteride. minoxidil might stimulate some growth but it certainly won't be mind blowing that's for sure. The only real sure fire way of sorting your hair is to have a hair transplant by one of the TOP hair transplant surgeons. Even then you still need to take the bare minimum of finasteride to maintain.

You have to set out your expectations before you start a treatment. Just aim to keep what you have when you start a regime. Anything other than maintaining will just be a bonus.

aaabbbccc

Reaction score
The only thing that you can really expect is to maintain what you have using finasteride. You have to set out your expectations before you start a treatment. Just aim to keep what you have when you start a regime. Anything other than maintaining will just be a bonus.

not to be a pessimist, but what about when propecia stops working? isn't this fairly well established - that around 5 years, propecia typically starts to lose its effictiveness?

are there folks out there who have kept their hair loss where it is for 10+ years with the drugs we are all talking about?

Trent

Experienced Member
Reaction score
spencer kobren, the guy who does the "bald truth.com" thing started using propecia (proscar at that time) before it was even FDA accepted as a male pattern baldness drug, and i remember reading that he has kept his hairline for seven years. so, while it probably won't give you full thick hair forever, seven years of maintaining is pretty damn good, and you have to suspect that the thinning will be much slower than it normally would have been.