What type of balding am I?? Is finasteride right for me? PICS!!! HELP

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
24 years old, currently taking finasteride at 2.5 mg daily. Have been since October 2015. Really having second thoughts. I have heard a link about testosterone and frontal hairloss. finasteride ups test. I want to know if maybe I shouldn't be taking finasteride?? My scalp is visible when I spike my hair or when it is saturated and brushed up. When brushed down, all is well. Is this normal?
I also work out a ton with weights, drink a ton of protein shakes, had a very high sex drive before finasteride and still have it nearly 5 months in. Currently, I feel as if my hairline is getting worse; people never commented on me losing hair, so I'm wondering if I totally screwed up by starting a regimen.

Please evaluate my pics. I trust you guys given that you all have trained eyes. Thanks for reading, I'm just very concerned that I am shooting myself in the foot by making things worse

This was two yrs ago. Gel in my hair. It has progressed slowly, so I added this because it gives you an idea that my loss is mainly mid-frontal
http://www.screencast.com/t/HiLCrBkzf

This is wet hair under harsh lighting
http://www.screencast.com/t/mHnXc6JHEje

Temples under harsh lighting
http://www.screencast.com/t/IyjJpjrjcxD

Crown with wet hair
http://www.screencast.com/t/QQ2OryqQRcXU

Spike with wet hair and harsh lighting
http://www.screencast.com/t/fzh8vPvM

Flat, relatively wet hair in not quite as harsh lighting. All is good in the hood here
http://www.screencast.com/t/n7sKagooIak8

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like frontal thinning combined with temporal recession. Can't tell if your crown is thinning, but doesn't look bad to me.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Upload them to imgur or better yet this site like any sane person would do and then maybe I'll think about clicking that link.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Upload them to imgur or better yet this site like any sane person would do and then maybe I'll think about clicking that link.

Just click the damn link or move on. No need to be a tool

afferd

Reaction score
MoBishop - your hair looks very similar to mine when I was your age, you've still got a good head of hair and have caught this very early, so really don't stress.

By being here you're doing all the right things, I honestly don't see a dramatic change from before to after.

And also I don't think finasteride could have made you lose more hair at the front, you might be going through a shed, but I can't even see it.

You're still very young, I think in order for you to measure success you should compare photos after you've been on finasteride for a year.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
MoBishop - your hair looks very similar to mine when I was your age, you've still got a good head of hair and have caught this very early, so really don't stress.

By being here you're doing all the right things, I honestly don't see a dramatic change from before to after.

And also I don't think finasteride could have made you lose more hair at the front, you might be going through a shed, but I can't even see it.

You're still very young, I think in order for you to measure success you should compare photos after you've been on finasteride for a year.

Why is it that literally hundreds of people all over these forums are providing their stories about how finasteride sped up their frontal hair loss, and every single person I encounter on here denies that it's even a possibility. Finasteride just shredded the f*ck out of my front and crown - fact. I was Maintaining on 5% minoxidil and the exact same EVERYTHING for years and years... add finasteride - and from month 4-12, it just killed my hair. Massive scalp inflammation, and two hundred plus hairs a day, and I count meticulously. I am sure I will get slaughtered for this comment here, but I am simply conveying my situation. Once again, I have seen people recover their hair, confidence and even their lives on this medication, and that's why, despite my horrible situation, I still strongly recommend trying it. HOWEVER, I recommend trying it AND understanding that a possible side effect is increased hair loss. O.K. go ahead and verbally slaughter me now! :box::finger2:

- - - Updated - - -

But yes, definitely stay on it for a year, at least.. there ARE indeed stories of people that only began to experience a cease of shedding and/or regrowth after that period of time. The hair follicle cycle is a painfully slow, fickle little b*tch. :) Good luck man. Your hair does look great.

MoBishop

Established Member
Reaction score
Why is it that literally hundreds of people all over these forums are providing their stories about how finasteride sped up their frontal hair loss, and every single person I encounter on here denies that it's even a possibility. Finasteride just shredded the f*ck out of my front and crown - fact. I was Maintaining on 5% minoxidil and the exact same EVERYTHING for years and years... add finasteride - and from month 4-12, it just killed my hair. Massive scalp inflammation, and two hundred plus hairs a day, and I count meticulously. I am sure I will get slaughtered for this comment here, but I am simply conveying my situation. Once again, I have seen people recover their hair, confidence and even their lives on this medication, and that's why, despite my horrible situation, I still strongly recommend trying it. HOWEVER, I recommend trying it AND understanding that a possible side effect is increased hair loss. O.K. go ahead and verbally slaughter me now! :box::finger2:

- - - Updated - - -

But yes, definitely stay on it for a year, at least.. there ARE indeed stories of people that only began to experience a cease of shedding and/or regrowth after that period of time. The hair follicle cycle is a painfully slow, fickle little b*tch. :) Good luck man. Your hair does look great.

Thanks for the comment bro, I'm sorry that finasteride didn't work for you. Based on your post, I'm assuming you were on it for a year? Good luck in your treatment as well, it breaks my heart that people do the right things (taking finasteride) but don't get the results

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks man! Interesting that our hair is similar. Do you take finasteride? If so, did you start around my age? EDIT: I saw your in hair story that finasteride didn't react well with you.
Gotta give you props though, I'd love to have your hair at your age. It seems like your hair loss has been very slow

bluejay

Established Member
Reaction score
looks like plain old receding; diffuse hair loss would be more or less evenly on the top of the head. Either get on the big 3 if you wanna do something about it.

Fall

Reaction score
Shedding is a common thing for many starting with finasteride. I would recommend to still stick through this. In my opinion shedding is a rather good sign because it shows that finasteride actually does something (when there is a side effect there must also be an effect).

However watch out, there are some who lose almost all their hair with finasteride. These stories are real and really hard... Your hair still is not that bad and I would recommend to stick through with it.